Life after Dish? Not for my archived recordings?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I seem to be watching less and less TV, especially through the satellite. I have cut back to the 120 package, I watch streaming through my Dish Roku or through the computer connected to the TV, and DVDs through Blockbuster. I'm not quite ready to "Cut the cord" to the satellite, but am less content with Dish than I was 5 years ago, and particularly bothered by the MRV / DVR Fees. I like the hopper, but not the fees, esp the new increases.

I do have about 1.4 TB of recorded shows on a couple of HDs. Some are nice to have because they are in HD, some are just recorded shows / movies etc.

If I do leave Dish, I know I pretty much lose all the recordings. I'm wondering if 1) dish will ever offer a decryption key for (non Dish) viewing thru a PC (not likely due to industry pressures), and 2) should I record to my media center computer from the video out?

Any suggestions? Or should I just add more beer into my diet?

Miner

I seem to be watching less and less TV, especially through the satellite. I have cut back to the 120 package, I watch streaming through my Dish Roku or through the computer connected to the TV, and DVDs through Blockbuster. I'm not quite ready to "Cut the cord" to the satellite, but am less content with Dish than I was 5 years ago, and particularly bothered by the MRV / DVR Fees. I like the hopper, but not the fees, esp the new increases.

I do have about 1.4 TB of recorded shows on a couple of HDs. Some are nice to have because they are in HD, some are just recorded shows / movies etc.

If I do leave Dish, I know I pretty much lose all the recordings. I'm wondering if 1) dish will ever offer a decryption key for (non Dish) viewing thru a PC (not likely due to industry pressures), and 2) should I record to my media center computer from the video out?

Any suggestions? Or should I just add more beer into my diet?

Miner
Hey Miner. Do a search at yahoo groups for dishrip. That group might be able to answer you questions.

Thanks for the tips.

Back before dish came out w/ esternal hd, a friend od mine bought component (and later Dvi) to pc input devices and would archive shows in HD to his pc.

Im wondering if i put my accound on the $5 a month pause can i watch my archive? I own my 722 and $60 a year is way better than losing everything.

I would get a Dvr buying it outright not leased if they didn't charge a Dvr fee. As long as there are Dvr fees, I will record my shows by other means.

Thanks for the tips.

Back before dish came out w/ esternal hd, a friend od mine bought component (and later Dvi) to pc input devices and would archive shows in HD to his pc.

Im wondering if i put my accound on the $5 a month pause can i watch my archive? I own my 722 and $60 a year is way better than losing everything.

Remember, if you put your account on pause and you still have any time left on your 2 year contract, that contract will be extended for each month you are on pause.

Do a search at yahoo groups for dishrip. That group might be able to answer you questions.

I'll tell you right now you won't be able to rip programs off an EHD. You may be able to move them back to the 722's internal and rip them there. I heard mention of a Hopper above. Nobody's figured out the file system on a Hopper internal, as yet, so no ripping from there either.

You can record real-time to a PC or DVD recorder. I've done that for hundreds of programs. But it takes a long time. So first you may want to take an inventory and see if any of your stuff is already on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. Then you can skip those and just stream them. You may also want to consider something that rhymes with "for rent". You can often get entire seasons in HD that way.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm looking at hauppauge HD PVRs to record the important stuff that isn't available elsewhere.

I don't know if I will leave dish at this point, but the "hook" of wanting to keep my archive usable at the moment is one thing keeping me from completely cutting the cord. When I cut back from the 200 to 120, there were only 1 or 2 channels between the 2 that I actually watched with any regular basis. I don't watch much ESPN anymore, since all they show is crap so maybe the family or welcome packs are more in line with my current viewing habits.

4 years ago I jumped through hoops to get signal in my apartment (above and beyond loyalty) even though I had free basic cable. Now it's not that important.

Miner

Only what's on the DVR's internal hard drive. Anything on the external hard drive becomes inaccessible due to the stupid way that Dish sets things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts