Life after DishNets DHP?

Ok, for what its worth, I just de-activated my last 301 that was with DHP. The CSR told me as soon as they get possession of it, I am no longer a DHP customer. At that time, I can start with the 1.99/mo warranty for my 721 and the 301 I purchased.

There was NO mention of the LNB! I will let you know if I run into any surprises next week when E* gets the equipment back, and I call them.

My box just arrived with a note that they want the LNB. Sigh. I am too sleepy to call them right now.

I just got off the phone with Dish's cancellation department. They will let me off of the DHP after I buy a new system & return the old one. They DID say I have to return the LNB.

I'm curious to see if after I am no longer a DHP customer if I will be able to get the $199 6000u deal. I'm not holding my breath.

I just want to be considered a non-DHP customer for when the 811 & Superdish make their debuts. I don't want to be left out this time. Too bad I didn't know about SatelliteGuys before I was talked into a DHP system 6 months ago...

Well, I think if you are still a paying customer, asking for, and wanting the customer to buy the LNB is pretty weak. With Dishmover, they tell you to leave the old dish, so why nickel us now for the LNB if you've purchased the receivers.

I'm anxious to see what will happen next week.

For those who purchased the PVR to get off of DHP did you purchase the $299 510 from directly from Dishnet or were you able to find some other deal on the PVR?

ScottBA said:
I just got off the phone with Dish's cancellation department. They will let me off of the DHP after I buy a new system & return the old one. They DID say I have to return the LNB.

I'm curious to see if after I am no longer a DHP customer if I will be able to get the $199 6000u deal. I'm not holding my breath.

I just want to be considered a non-DHP customer for when the 811 & Superdish make their debuts. I don't want to be left out this time. Too bad I didn't know about SatelliteGuys before I was talked into a DHP system 6 months ago...

Hold the phones...I just got a call from someone from the Executive Office. He has offered me (a DHP customer) the same $199 deal on the 6000u (with the 8VSB). Didn't give me much of an explanation on the change of heart other than they want to offer me this deal.

Of course, I took him up on it (since this is what I wanted in the first place). Part of me wants to get out of the DHP plan, but at this point, I'm going to wait until my contract expires.

They are coming to install it on Friday. Just in time for my Steelers game on ESPN-HD on Sunday night. SWEET!

ScottBA said:
Part of me wants to get out of the DHP plan, but at this point, I'm going to wait until my contract expires.
From what I've seen, being in DHP is like being in the mafia, once you're in you're never out. Even once you finish your commitment you're still in the DHP. The only way out I've been told is to cancel your account and return any receivers and LNB's that you have and resign up as a new customer. But you really aren't a new customer so you get no deals on new hardware. So you have to go into the 'witness protection program' and get a new identity to get any deals (aka change your name).

rad said:
From what I've seen, being in DHP is like being in the mafia, once you're in you're never out. Even once you finish your commitment you're still in the DHP. The only way out I've been told is to cancel your account and return any receivers and LNB's that you have and resign up as a new customer. But you really aren't a new customer so you get no deals on new hardware. So you have to go into the 'witness protection program' and get a new identity to get any deals (aka change your name).

Actually, I was given a way out without cancelling my plan. They said I could go buy my own new system and then return the rented equipment. I'd be then out of the DHP. Believe me, though, I had to fight long & hard for this. I was on the verge of cancelling & switching to DirecTV before they offered this.

How long do you have until your not under contract or month to month?

If you would of switched don't you get hit with a huge expense?

jm9 said:
How long do you have until your not under contract or month to month?
I am only 6 months into my 12 month contract

jm9 said:
If you would of switched don't you get hit with a huge expense?
There is a $240 cancellation fee, but they weren't going to charge me it (I wasn't really cancelling...)

I may be in a little different situation than most. When I was signing up for DishNetwork, I ended up doing it over the phone thru E*. I had every intention of buying my own equipment...until the salesman talked me into this DHP plan. The one question that I asked was: "which plan would make it easier for me to upgrade to HDTV later?" I was told DHP.

As we all know, this was not the correct answer. This may be why E* was willing to let me switch to a normal plan without paying the cancellation fee.

This all started because they told me "no" to the 6000u upgrade deal. Now that they are hooking me up with that deal, I'm not going to pursue getting out of the DHP until my contract is up.

I don't understand why everyone wants to be out of DHP you don't seem to understand what you have. I do understand why DISH dosen't want to include the 6000 in DHP. If you are going to discontinue a product would you want to include it in a promotion that will be around for years. Especially if the product was already two years old.

Anonymous said:
I don't understand why everyone wants to be out of DHP you don't seem to understand what you have. I do understand why DISH dosen't want to include the 6000 in DHP. If you are going to discontinue a product would you want to include it in a promotion that will be around for years. Especially if the product was already two years old.

I have no problem with the DHP plan...as long as we can get the deals...in this case to affordably upgrade to HDTV.

I have no gripes about DHP other than I was mislead by the DISH salesperson who told me that I would be able to upgrade to HDTV "easier" with DHP vs owning. That's why I made the fuss.

Since they are letting me purchase the 6000u at the discounted price, I again have no problems with DHP....right now. I'm worried about when SuperDish shows up. Will us DHP customers be forgotten about yet again?!?!

Anonymous said:
DHP customers have also been locked out of other offers. I wanted to get another STB, a 501/508 during the $199 special. But since I was a DHP customer I couldn't get it, I had to pay MSRP of $299. I can't wait to see if the SuperDish upgrade that Charlie mentioned on the last chat will also lock out DHP customers or if they want us to pay the $299.

I have not had any problems with DHP. It was a great promotion that allowed me to get into satellite tv. I have fullfilled my contract. The problem that dish has is that their service is not any better or worse than Direct. So if I want to upgrade to HD and they charge me MSRP for all of the hardware, $1299 for 921 and $299 for the super dish, I'm paying $600 more than the normal "Customer". I don't expect Dish to offer me discounts, but if they want to continue to earn my business they will need to create a system to help me migrate off DHP or provide an upgrade path to HD. I can swicth to Direct as a new customer and upgrade all of my recievers for less than the $600 premium that I would be charged with Dish. At that point, unless Dish creates programming that I can't live without, I will never go back to dish because of the upfront cost in switching. Dish will lose a satisfied customer for life.

jm9 said:
I have not had any problems with DHP. It was a great promotion that allowed me to get into satellite tv. I have fullfilled my contract. The problem that dish has is that their service is not any better or worse than Direct. So if I want to upgrade to HD and they charge me MSRP for all of the hardware, $1299 for 921 and $299 for the super dish, I'm paying $600 more than the normal "Customer". I don't expect Dish to offer me discounts, but if they want to continue to earn my business they will need to create a system to help me migrate off DHP or provide an upgrade path to HD. I can swicth to Direct as a new customer and upgrade all of my recievers for less than the $600 premium that I would be charged with Dish. At that point, unless Dish creates programming that I can't live without, I will never go back to dish because of the upfront cost in switching. Dish will lose a satisfied customer for life.

I don't know where you got your info but the MSRP of the 921 is $999
The MSRP of the 921 with Superdish is $1199
This info is direct from dish.

Thanks for the correction. That is my only gripe with Dish, It is really hard to find accurate information about pricing and model information. They release information on Charlie Chats and Tech Chats that you can't verify anywhere. I'm waiting to see how this all shakes out on Nov 1 before I do anything. I thought Charlie said the cost for them to produce the 921 was $1299, or that was there target price. I know they said at $999 it was a great deal because they were subsidizing the unit.

DISH has been giving my "out of contract" DHP customers a DHP UPGRADE option.

For example, if one of my customers originally signed up for DHP with 2 receivers, and fulfilled their originall contract (with a good payment history), they qualify for 2 additional receivers including a Quad LNB and installation for a $49.99 activation and 1 year commitment.

I'm not sure if this applies to a PVR or HDTV upgrade, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for a "DHP upgrade."

BTW, if I had to provide and install the two additional receivers and LNB, I would have to charge in the neighborhood of $400-500 to come out whole. DHP customers are the ones being pampered in my book. ;)

angiodan said:
Ok, for what its worth, I just de-activated my last 301 that was with DHP. The CSR told me as soon as they get possession of it, I am no longer a DHP customer. At that time, I can start with the 1.99/mo warranty for my 721 and the 301 I purchased.

There was NO mention of the LNB! I will let you know if I run into any surprises next week when E* gets the equipment back, and I call them.

I called today to find out if they had my DHP equipment. After a little searching, they found them, and I am no longer on DHP! I don't have to send back the LNB, or close and reopen the account. The CSR just said she takes the DHP flag off, and I save the $5/mo.

Which will go towards the 921 DVR fee!! :(

Be sure to call them after they have the equipment, it seems like if I hadn't called, I would still be on DHP until you tell them to take you off.

Thanks angiodan I am now debating droppong DHP and I am glad to hear you didn't have to give back the LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts