Lightning isn't good for hoppers and joeys.....

Brandon_m

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Tennessee
So I had some bad storms come through my area earlier today. One minute I'm watching a Denzel Washington marathon on Encore, I see a bright flash, and next I know my tvs are going wild flickering on and off and everything is dead. The strike was very close to the house

It killed most of my electronics, including my hopper and joeys. The hopper 3 wouldn't power on and was just making clicking sounds, and the joeys would power on but weren't outputting anything. I got in touch with dish and they are shipping me replacements for all 3 boxes. Now the hassle of dealing with home owners insurance for the rest of the devices.

Just wanted to share my experience today. Hopefully my weekend calms down a little lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

So I had some bad storms come through my area earlier today. One minute I'm watching a Denzel Washington marathon on Encore, I see a bright flash, and next I know my tvs are going wild flickering on and off and everything is dead. The strike was very close to the house

It killed most of my electronics, including my hopper and joeys. The hopper 3 wouldn't power on and was just making clicking sounds, and the joeys would power on but weren't outputting anything. I got in touch with dish and they are shipping me replacements for all 3 boxes. Now the hassle of dealing with home owners insurance for the rest of the devices.

Just wanted to share my experience today. Hopefully my weekend calms down a little lol.

WOW, sorry Brandon_m. Hope it all works out for you.

Ouch!. That really sucks. When I know storms are a coming I try do disconnect all the satellite RF and any electrical connections. If you get a direct hit, no surge protector will prevent damage when it happens. All my electronics are on a UPS, but are still vulnerable to lightning.. If I am not home to disconnect equipment, I just pray nothing happens. Hope you get everything replaced and DISH to do their best in getting you replacement equipment. Actually dealing with home owners insurance as you said can be a nightmare. Been there done that. Looking at lightning storms from a distance is pretty neat, not so when it hits and fries your stuff.
Hope everything works out.

Happened to my sister 2 years ago. fried both hoppers, joey, 2 yamaha receivers, LG and Sony LED TV's, 2 computers, 2 bluray players, a HDDVD player and several appliances. Insurance took care of it all. Dish sent installer to change LNB and receivers.

You might investigate uninterruptable power (UPS) units for your electronics. These battery backups prevent sudden power loss and provide surge protection for events you describe.

You also might want to look at whole home surge protection . It's a 3 part system but most power companies will not let you install them cause they own the meter

Reactions: stardust3
I moved away from stormy areas, Duluth, Sheboygan and Detroit many years ago. Now I feel safe other than
living very close to the San Andreas earthquake fault. Traded one worry for another.:eek:

I moved away from stormy areas, Duluth, Sheboygan and Detroit many years ago. Now I feel safe other than
living very close to the San Andreas earthquake fault. Traded one worry for another.:eek:
We need to be more concerned about the Rodgers Creek Fault rather than San Andreas... ;)

Whole home or surge suppressors do not help when the power surge comes through your cable line and hits your modem. This happened to me last week and cost me $129 for a new modem with built in wifi. All my electronic equipment is on APC back ups and I have four of them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm looking to see if an inline coax protector that will allow passthrough of the signal will work. I have a UPS, but connect it to a zerosurge protector which also does filtering since the MOVs in uninterruptible power supplies can wear out or get blown. My protection on the electrical lines is pretty good with this setup, but I would like to have something more on my satellite and cable modem coax lines. My hybrid hub for the H3/Joey is grounded and so is the cable internet, but I don't feel like those grounds would protect a surge down the center wire very well.

I'm looking at protectors from alphadelta based on a forum post I found at http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...for-satellite-tv-system-model-tt3g50f.337862/ . That post has a few other brands noted.

I was out there for a couple of weeks during the 1989 World Series. There was a rather nasty earthquake. I swore I would never go back. At least there were warnings of hurricanes when I lived in Florida. We get tornado warnings here in Illinois. There are no warnings whatsoever for earthquakes.

I had a similar incident in June 2013. A direct hit to my tower tv antenna. It took out several TV sets, all of my DirecTV receivers that I had at the time, (with Dish now). AV receiver, computer, washing machine, all toll was about $8000 worth of electronics and various and sundry gadgets that got fried. I turned that one in on my home owners policy, and it just cost the $1000 deductible. They paid me back so much to "install" some of the things, so I ended up not being out of pocket very much, but it was a hassle. I had everything on either UPS or very good surge protectors (even some I had leased from the electric coop). Unfortunately, when you take a direct hit, nothing but physically unplugging the device is going to save it. I unplug everything I can now when there is a storm with lighting approaching, and usually unplug before I leave home if storms are predicted. Of course, you can't avoid it at all times.

If you get a nearby hit, NOTHING, NOTHING will protect your equipment unless it is totally disconnected from power and coax lines.

If lightening can jump thousands of feet from or to the sky, what makes anyone think a lightening supresor would help.

Best protection is proper grounding to bleed off potential electrical differential to lessen the likelihood of a hit.

If you fear lightening damage - UNPLUG everything!

You need to watch out for the inline coax lightening protectors. They are usually rated up to about 1000 GHz. They will also show a DC short. We have all of our feed lines at 1 of our communications sites equipped with them. We we check our feed lines and antennas with aTDR, time domain reflectometer, we connect the TDR after the lightening protectors.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

You need to watch out for the inline coax lightening protectors. They are usually rated up to about 1000 GHz. They will also show a DC short. We have all of our feed lines at 1 of our communications sites equipped with them. We we check our feed lines and antennas with aTDR, time domain reflectometer, we connect the TDR after the lightening protectors.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

The alpha delta is up to 3ghz.

Reactions: Almighty1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts