Limiting telemarketing calls to cell

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Never mind the Do Not Call list, it doesn't seem to be working well.

Is there any LEGAL or REGULATORY reason we can't have a feature on our phones, or even just our smartphones, to mark certain numbers to be blocked, unanswered, in the future? I know they use many numbers and change frequently, but not all. For example, I keep getting a call from Florida from "The Student Help Center." It's a scam. The same phone number seems to have been used for years. Why can't I have a feature to go into my "Recents" list and flag that number to be blocked?

You have got to register your number every 4-5 years on the do not call list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using SatelliteGuys

That does no good if the spammers are using a robo caller.

There are apps that do this. I have about 40 numbers blocked for calls and text messages. If they call I never even hear it and you can choose whether to disconnect the call or send it to voice mail.

I was getting calls and texts from someone I didn't know all of the time. Apparently someone else had my number before me even thought AT&T said it was a new number. I know, shocking, huh? I told them I wasn't the guy they were looking for, but they didn't believe me! smsBlocker does a great job of stopping the calls.

There are apps that do this. I have about 40 numbers blocked for calls and text messages. If they call I never even hear it and you can choose whether to disconnect the call or send it to voice mail.

I'd love to know which app you're using.

I was getting calls and texts from someone I didn't know all of the time. Apparently someone else had my number before me even thought AT&T said it was a new number. I know, shocking, huh? I told them I wasn't the guy they were looking for, but they didn't believe me! smsBlocker does a great job of stopping the calls.

SMS Blocker & Call Blocker are for jailbroken phones. I'm not going to go there.

Anyone know anything about NumberCop (low rated) or Call Manager (VERY low rated)? Neither appear to actually do what I want. Surely there is something better out there, without jailbreaking my iPhone!

I'd love to know which app you're using.

SMS Blocker & Call Blocker are for jailbroken phones. I'm not going to go there.

Anyone know anything about NumberCop (low rated) or Call Manager (VERY low rated)? Neither appear to actually do what I want. Surely there is something better out there, without jailbreaking my iPhone!

some custom roms have this function built in while apps like callfilter have worked great for me and it's free.

I was having a terrible problem with this for months even though I was on the do not call list. I'm talking 2 to 3 calls a day every day. I never answered to hear who was calling I just knew it was random numbers from around the country and it was rarely the same number twice. I would just hit silence because I have been told that if you answer they know they have a legit number and it makes it worse. I even got one before 6:00am on a Sunday morning which really pissed me off because I keep my cell next to my bed to use as an alarm clock and in case of family emergencies.

When the 6:00am call came through I finally answered to voice my displeasure. I got the google voice prompt asking me if I wanted to accept the call or decline it. This is a feature in Google voice that I left on so I would know if people were calling my GV number or my Cell. I used to use GV for some clients that I didn't want to give my actual cell number too if they had to reach me when I was out of the office. This would allow me to turn off work calls when I wanted to for vacations and family time.

Once I found out that all these telemarketer calls were coming from my GV number I turned off its forwarding to my cell and I haven't gotten a telemarketer call since. Some of their features were great but it wasn't worth the robo caller headache. Just a heads up for those of you who are having a problem with this and also happen to be google voice users.

I just use the "Do Not Disturb" function built into my iPhone. I set it so calls from anyone in my directory are allowed to ring through but all other calls go directly to voice mail without ringing.

It works fine with smart dialers. Where it doesn't work is when the caller doesn't consider the DNC list as is required by FTC rules.

How does being on the do not call list work if they are calling numbers at random?

The absence of a black list is the only thing I've missed since switching from a rooted android to an unjailbroken iphone.

I just use the "Do Not Disturb" function built into my iPhone. I set it so calls from anyone in my directory are allowed to ring through but all other calls go directly to voice mail without ringing.

Hard to do when job hunting.

For now, I have set them up as a Contact with the Swish ringtone and no vibe and none for texts. There is no "None" option for ringtones. I may create a silent ringtone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)