Line amp question?

gooberjkf

Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I just installed a pvamp-1 line amp to boost my signal up to 20db, which is what my local installer suggested. Instead I'm getting a 20-24db drop in signal strength. I've tried every configuration in connecting to no avail.

Any ideas?

Do you have cable or sat service?

And usally installing aline amp when your signal is bad, does more damage then good. If you amp a bad singal you in a sense just get a stronger BAD signal.

Satellite, using Directv. The signal strength prior to installation was 77, after 54. Apparently the signal is a bit weak due to the lenght of the cable run, approx 140 feet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joel

It's very close. I have 4 receivers, two standard and two hd. The two standard report 97 percent signal strength. The two hds are 77 and 81 percent. My installer said the drop in the hd is due to the length of the cable run. That's why he suggested the in line amp.

Joel

If the receivers are H20's, the signal strength shows less than other Directv receivers. And your installer should have known this. It is a well known issue with the H20.

Al

And A "Line Amp" Only amplifies the RF signal on the cable line itself. It want do much to get yourself more "signal" from the dish.

"The signal strength prior to installation was 77, after 54. "

That's because the amp is overdriving the satellite tuner. 140 ft. should be good enough for a satellite installation. You just need to re-peak or re-align the dish.

144 feet is not too long of a cable run.
Your installer was poorly trained.

I have installed to well over 225 feet without amps. IF an amp is to be used, it must be placed at a point in the cable run were you have enough signal to cleanly amplify and yet not to strong a signal that the amp is over modulated and excessive noise is generated. That point usually falls between 100 feet and 125 feet from the dish, but not any closer to the receivers end than 50 feet (to avoid receiver over modulation). So the minimum cable run length were you could even us an amp is at least 150 feet and that would depend on the LNB type and if a switch is used.

yeah, i also completely disagree with the use of inline amps... i've never seen them help.
at 140' you should be just fine.
The only thing I would look at if you are getting that much loss, is the coax itself. For one, is it RG6, and is it a decent quality cable. If its old RG59, you could be getting that much loss over that distance