Line of sight issues

dmbfan225

Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Missouri
I just moved to Kansas City, MO from Columbia, MO. We are having issues finding good line of sight for the dish to the Southwest (the house faces southwest so its either mount the dish on the front of the house which the HOA wont like or out in the middle of the yard which is a pain and even more of an eye sore) I believe the installer is trying to use the western satellites, and I was wondering if it would be possible to use the eastern since we have a great view that way since we are on a corner lot. Are the KC locals available on both or am I just dreaming. I've done some searching but haven't quite found the answer yet.

When I look on dishpointer.com and use the 1000.2 the angle is parallel with the house but if I could use the 1000.4 its got a perfect line of sight to the east.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The eastern arch sats are just a little to the east of the western arch sats. You will still probably have a problem getting those.. But worth a try..

gokartergo said:
The eastern arch sats are just a little to the east of the western arch sats. You will still probably have a problem getting those.. But worth a try..

They are more than a little bit. EA will be almost 90 degrees east of WA.

The most important question is do you have HD receivers? If not, then eastern arc is a no go unless you upgrade to HD.

whats the roof pitch on your house?Most dishes can be mounted on the back side and shoot over the house with no trouble.I do that frequently because of point of entry and grounding.

The most important question is do you have HD receivers? If not, then eastern arc is a no go unless you upgrade to HD.

not true.The hd channels can still be received by mpeg4 receivers such as the 311/512/625.

The hd channels can still be received by mpeg4 receivers such as the 311/512/625.

Sorry, but the 111/311/512/522/625 (did I leave any out?) receivers are not mpeg4 receivers! They are strictly mpeg-2 SD receivers.

Which that leaves 211, 222, 612, 622, 722, 922, Hopper/Joey as your mpeg4 receivers that will work on eastern arc.

Thanks for the help. I have a 722 receiver and do subscribe to HD and don't really care about getting the locals in SD. Looks I'll try the eastern arc when the installer comes back out. Thanks again for the help.

Sorry, but the 111/311/512/522/625 (did I leave any out?) receivers are not mpeg4 receivers! They are strictly mpeg-2 SD receivers.

Thanks I always get that crap wrong.With that said you mean to tell me dish has no mpeg4 sd receivers.

With that said you mean to tell me dish has no mpeg4 sd receivers.
Correct. Interesting hole in their product line. I think they can easily just turn off the HD on some mpeg-4 receivers, so that is probably cheaper than building a separate line of SD-only mpeg-4 receivers. <-- my wag

The current SD-only receivers are 8PSK/MPEG2 receivers.

EDIT: No need to disable HD on the HD receivers. HD is no different than any other programming package. Dish can authorize/deauthorize HD channels just like they can authorize/deauthorize any other channels. Hopefully eventually (years from now probably) Dish can get everyone on HD receivers regardless of HD subscription and then WA can finally make the transition to 8PSK/MPEG4. First step I'm sure is to get WA on 8PSK/MPEG2 for SD, as opposed to QPSK/MPEG2.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)