Line of Sight Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vvkm

Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Greenville, NC
After being with cable for a long time, I finally decided to try Dishnet. I signed up through Dishstore and had an installation scheduled on Sep 22, noon -5 pm.

On the day, the installer showed up at my house at 10:45 am. He asked me where I wanted the installation, I live in an apartment complex and so have limited options. A pole mount in the backyard is the only option for me. I took him there, with his inclinometer ( I think Suunto), he took a look at the sky and said there is no LOS. Upon this, I showed him my neighbor’s (next door) 121 superdish, which they have been having for more than a year. On seeing that, he took a second look at the sky and said may be there is a LOS. He was not sure and has asked for a second opinion from the site manager. He also talked about the leaves of a tree that could be a problem (in the circle in my picture). While going away he asked me whether I was interested in taking “FTA” from him. Now, I don’t know what exactly he meant by that (getting receiver from him??). His attitude and talking make me wonder whether he had come prepared not to do the install. He was a sub-contractor.

I have attached two pictures – one standing from the place where the dish has to be installed. The second one is of my neighbors (it is hardly 15’ away). In the first picture, I have circled the approximate direction in which the dish has to point (west is towards the right side). Can someone please tell me whether those leaves can be a real problem?

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 237
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 274
I can tell you positively that those leaves are NOT the problem. I have woods all around me and get good signal strength through alot more leaves than that. What I DO see as a problem is the building. If, in fact, you knew for certain that the area you circled is accurate you should get outstanding signal strength. If the dish has to look lower than that.........:confused: That's something I and probably you don't know. With the experiences I've had with installers especially sub-contractors I'd sure get another opinion.

Ed

Remember that the area that the dish points isn't exactly where the signal comes from. It comes from a lot higher in the horizon and bounces off the dish to feed the LNB. That is why you'll see some dishes that are pointed directly at a roofpeak....or in my case, my neighbors flag.

Seeing you don't want people to know where you are the Carolinas is a pretty large area. You will have a very low look angle so the installer could be right. Your neighbors Sdish looks like it is an extended pole so it maybe possible a second opinion would be advised.

Seeing you don't want people to know where you are the Carolinas is a pretty large area. You will have a very low look angle so the installer could be right. Your neighbors Sdish looks like it is an extended pole so it maybe possible a second opinion would be advised.
I am sorry that i didn't mention my exact location, i am in Greenville NC, 27834. You are correct, neighbors pole is an extended one- 8'

Normally how long does it take for the second opinion. I called dish network today. They said they don't have any update so far. The installer was saying it would be within 72 hrs.

what kind receivers did you get? looks like dish 500 will work from the spot where you took the pick from.
biggest thing is you probably going to to need 12 ft pole and have it in ground 4 ft. the biggest post we carry in my state 10ft also can you put the post in your self so when they get there they can put dish there and test it quick?

to get second opinion you would call local people to find out because the tech reports it to his manager not dish CSR

what kind receivers did you get? looks like dish 500 will work from the spot where you took the pick from.
biggest thing is you probably going to to need 12 ft pole and have it in ground 4 ft. the biggest post we carry in my state 10ft also can you put the post in your self so when they get there they can put dish there and test it quick?
I was to get 722 with 1000.2 dish. I will have to try for 110, 119 and 129 because pointing to 61.5 is not at all an option for me due to the restrictions where i can install the pole.

if you getting 1000.2 the 129 is more to the right then 121 sat. and it is much lower thats why he probably said it is no line of sight

if you getting 1000.2 the 129 is more to the right then 121 sat. and it is much lower thats why he probably said it is no line of sight

I absolutely agree. The 129(or the absence of such) is probably what kills this install.

As to the FTA your installer was referring to, he may have been trying to upsale things by introducing yet another dish/provider into the mix. Search this site and you'll find answers to how/why/what FTA is all about.

ok ... ive never though that someone was able to check los from a pic... the retailer is trying to sell you a free to air box .. which if it were just free to air then that is ok and all but as a retailer he also is supposed to adhere to the non compete agreement that dish requires. get a DISH NETWORK installer to come and check. and you need to ask your leasor if it is ok to place dishes in the commons area of you complex. by fcc rules the dish may not be located off of the rented property unless agreed by the complex.. not the neighbors dish. if you are in the western central area of SC the elevation on 119 is 35 deg and the 110 is around 42deg and 129 is 26deg the azmith is 228deg on 119 and 238deg on 110 and 248 deg on 129 but we are required to give 5 degs clearance on all sides

check here for all the naysayers about location
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

ok ... ive never though that someone was able to check los from a pic... the retailer is trying to sell you a free to air box .. which if it were just free to air then that is ok and all but as a retailer he also is supposed to adhere to the non compete agreement that dish requires. get a DISH NETWORK installer to come and check. and you need to ask your leasor if it is ok to place dishes in the commons area of you complex. by fcc rules the dish may not be located off of the rented property unless agreed by the complex.. not the neighbors dish. if you are in the western central area of SC the elevation on 119 is 35 deg and the 110 is around 42deg and 129 is 26deg the azmith is 228deg on 119 and 238deg on 110 and 248 deg on 129 but we are required to give 5 degs clearance on all sides

check here for all the naysayers about location
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Thanks. My location is actually Greenville, NC. From satsig.net this is what i got for the satellites 110 (36, 236), 119 (30, 245) 129 (22, 253). I am not sure how accurate this is. As for the installation, i do have written permission from the management. They didn't have problem installing the pole as along as it was not an eyesore & no front side installation.

I have to assume that the installer was not talking about plain FTA because he mentioned to me a site that i don't think we can discuss here.

I have an update. I just now called dish network and was told that the order has been cancelled. So my dream of getting Dish and all those HD channels has been shattered:river. I think the installer should have at least shown the courtsey to call me. Very unprofessional...

I will now have to try DTV :mad:. I hear they have satellites higher up. I don't like them but atleast they may have more HD content :D than my crappy Suddenlink cable.

Once again, i thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.

I feel you're pain VVKM. I live in Charlotte and had a similar experience with Dish. I've got DTV coming out this Saturday morning.

Wishing luck to both of us.

I can tell you positively that those leaves are NOT the problem. I have woods all around me and get good signal strength through alot more leaves than that. What I DO see as a problem is the building. If, in fact, you knew for certain that the area you circled is accurate you should get outstanding signal strength. If the dish has to look lower than that.........:confused: That's something I and probably you don't know. With the experiences I've had with installers especially sub-contractors I'd sure get another opinion.

Ed
You cannot tell by a photo. The only way to tell is by actaully installing the system. That, I am and others are unwilling to do..If we install and it doa not work we have wasted all that time and get nothing for our efforts as we are paid by the job. Plus if we install a system in a suspect location and the obstrtuctions cause signal loss in a year, we are held responsible. In fact the GM at the local DNSC office wants a five year guarntee of Line of sight. so you see it isn't that we don't want the work. It is we don't want the risk that goes with the installation. Trust me the hassles and the chargebacks are not worth it. I would rather disappoint a customer with a shaky line of sight than drain my wallet. I am in this business to MAKE money ...Not lose it.