Line of Sight Problem

After being with cable for a long time, I finally decided to try Dishnet. I signed up through Dishstore and had an installation scheduled on Sep 22, noon -5 pm.

On the day, the installer showed up at my house at 10:45 am. He asked me where I wanted the installation, I live in an apartment complex and so have limited options. A pole mount in the backyard is the only option for me. I took him there, with his inclinometer ( I think Suunto), he took a look at the sky and said there is no LOS. Upon this, I showed him my neighbor’s (next door) 121 superdish, which they have been having for more than a year. On seeing that, he took a second look at the sky and said may be there is a LOS. He was not sure and has asked for a second opinion from the site manager. He also talked about the leaves of a tree that could be a problem (in the circle in my picture). While going away he asked me whether I was interested in taking “FTA” from him. Now, I don’t know what exactly he meant by that (getting receiver from him??). His attitude and talking make me wonder whether he had come prepared not to do the install. He was a sub-contractor.

I have attached two pictures – one standing from the place where the dish has to be installed. The second one is of my neighbors (it is hardly 15’ away). In the first picture, I have circled the approximate direction in which the dish has to point (west is towards the right side). Can someone please tell me whether those leaves can be a real problem?
it depoends upon the specieds of the trees ..Some can grow quite large. And the hole from the photo looks like it's tight..Remeber the trees sway ion the wind. That makes that hole even smaller.. I won't say it's a no go. But it's tight...one thing I must tell you i sthe tech if he has any scruples at all he will take into the accoun tthat he is liable for a bad install. So if he believes you wil lose Line of sight in a short period of time it is his call. We are unde ra lot of pressrue to get jobs doen especially new conmnects. But by the same token we are under scrutiny on rules and specifications. SO if we dont't compltee jobs we get hammered. If we put ones in that are suspect, we get hammered..So it basically sucks. MY tenure in this business allows me plecty of latitude on line of sight decisons. Iamm like 95 % right. If i am unsire I will ask my supoervisor to take a look and see what he thinks.. I prefer a second set of eyes where needed. I despise not getting a job done if there is any chance at all.

I have an update. I just now called dish network and was told that the order has been cancelled. So my dream of getting Dish and all those HD channels has been shattered:river. I think the installer should have at least shown the courtsey to call me. Very unprofessional...

I will now have to try DTV :mad:. I hear they have satellites higher up. I don't like them but atleast they may have more HD content :D than my crappy Suddenlink cable.

Once again, i thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.
it is very possible and quite likely the installer had no knowledge of the cancellation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts