Line of Site Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
Hey guys,

I am newbie here but I thought I would pose some questions to you guys to see if you can help me make some more sense of my situation.

I called DISH Network and they came out and said while they could install it now... in the summer when the trees bloomed that I would have all sorts of problems.

So, I called DirecTV. They came out and said that they couldn't get one of their Satellites that had the majority of their programming. The installer said he used to install DISH Network and that I should call them and have two trees removed and I would never have a problem.

So, this weekend I am having the two trees removed and DISH will be back out here on Feb 8th to install the DISH 500 and my HD 811 Receiver.

What are the orbital placement differences between where DirectTV w/ HD and DISH w/ HD would need to pickup signals from? I am trying to make some sense about why one would work and the other wouldn't.

Also, I havent heard the orbital locations for VOOM. Are they any different? If DISH for some chance comes out and again refuses to install, I am stuck with Millenium which has no HD :(

Thanks a ton. Nice site!!

Bill Long

DirectTv is at
101 (core)
110 (HDTV)
119 (some channels, smaller city locals, ethnic)

Dish Network
119 (core)
110 (stuff on AT180), locals, HD

Voom
61.5 (everything)

Dish has slots at 105 & 121 for newer locals. Also has 61.5 & 148 for some minor locals & int'l.

So to go from East to west
61.5..Voom, Dish
101..DirectTv
105..Dish
110..Dish, Direct
119..Dish, Direct
121..Dish
148..Dish

If you could list your location (general area), then we can let you know if you need to see the 119 for Direct or the others (61.5, 105, 121, 148) for Dish

Iceberg said:
DirectTv is at
101 (core)
110 (HDTV)
119 (some channels, smaller city locals, ethnic)

Dish Network
119 (core)
110 (stuff on AT180), locals, HD

Voom
61.5 (everything)

Dish has slots at 105 & 121 for newer locals. Also has 61.5 & 148 for some minor locals & int'l.

So to go from East to west
61.5..Voom, Dish
101..DirectTv
105..Dish
110..Dish, Direct
119..Dish, Direct
121..Dish
148..Dish

If you could list your location (general area), then we can let you know if you need to see the 119 for Direct or the others (61.5, 105, 121, 148) for Dish

Awesome! thanks for the information.

I am located in Snohomish, WA (Zip 98296)

Thanks,
Bill

Since youre in the Seattle DMA, on DirectTv your locals are on 101.

On Dish, they are on 119, but you have 3 channels on 148
KBCB 24 (Ind)
KBTC 28 (PBS)
KWOG 51 (ShopNBC)

So if you wanted to get all your locals, you would need 2 dishes. All your other locals (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, UPN, WB & KONG) are on the Dish500.

All HD is on 110.

Oh wow. So the last guy that came for DISH Network decided it was a no-go because of the 3 locals that second dish would pick up. I could care less about PBS, Shop NBC and I don't even know what Ind is.

Thanks for the information. Once I remove the two little trees he was worried about last time, I should be good to go, since there wasn't a major problem getting 100 and 119 last time.

I'll be sure to tell the guy to just setup the DISH 500 and call it good.

Thanks!!!

Bill

Have DirecTV, getting Dish

I hope this thread isn't too old to bring back, but I've got a similar question....

I currently have DirecTV with the standard "small" 18" dish. I do NOT have local channels available either. I've got Dish scheduled for installation on the 2nd of March. I'm getting local channels and my area, Dayton OH, 45410, requires this infamous, rarely seen and hard to get, "Superdish". :D

Anyway, what are the chances that my current dish mounting location will also work for DirecTV ?? It's in my backyard, shooting through a small opening between a tree and the neighbor's house. It's been this way for two+ years with NO issues and good signal strength. My wife wants the new dish installed in generally the same place, i.e. the backyard. I'm suspecting we'll need to mount it out front somewhere. It seems they like to install them on short, 3-4' poles in yards around here. In the backyard, maybe. In the front, no way. By the way, my dish is currently mounted on my 7' privacy fence, fastened to one of the 3x3 posts. As I said, it's worked great all along. As I understand it, the "mast" won't interchange. But can I remove my DTV dish and mast and have the Dish one put in the same place ??

Thanks !

My experiences with those that have gotten treed out that had a signal in the past was that they were always able to have the dish moved to another location to get the signal back in.

The Phase III dish that DirecTv uses for some areas to get the locals along with their regular 18" dish both use the same mast that the regular 18" Dish 300 and the 20" Dish 500 uses. DirecTv is slightly towards the left and points up higher in the sky than what Dish does. Also the FSS satellite for 105 receives the signal from higher up than what Dish does at 110 and 119. The 105 plastic/fiberglass SuperDish would require a 2 3/8" size mount vs. the 1 5/8" size mount that the rest of the dishes require.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)