Linksys Cable Modem and VIP 612 Connectivity

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I would greatly appreciate some assistance.

I have broadband internet service provided by Comcast. I have been connecting via a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem, routed through a Vonage VOIP router.

I recently upgraded my Dish Network receiver to the VIP 612 DVR. I would like to make use of the Dish Remote Access capability. I tried a couple of different approaches to connecting my DVR to the internet.

First, I added an additional cable modem, a Linksys BEFCMU10 v.2, and connected directly to the ethernet port on the DVR. I was able to establish connectivity, had all of the appropriate IP addresses, etc., and ran a successful diagnostic routine saying that the broadband connection was OK. However, when I attempt to utilize the Dish Remote Access at the Dish Network website, I keep getting a status message of "OFFLINE".

I also connected my original cable modem and router to the DVR. The DVR reported successful broadband connectivity, but I had the same problem online.

Does someone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
Try connecting the DVR directly to the cable modem. Bypass all routers. See if it works. Then when you connect a router to the modem make sure the router has an internet ip address on its wan port. The Vonage device should be plugged in the same router the DVR is plugged into. Not from the cable modem to vonage to router to dvr. Cable modem to router to vonnage and router to DVR. Good luck!

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Try connecting the DVR directly to the cable modem. Bypass all routers. See if it works. Then when you connect a router to the modem make sure the router has an internet ip address on its wan port. The Vonage device should be plugged in the same router the DVR is plugged into. Not from the cable modem to vonage to router to dvr. Cable modem to router to vonnage and router to DVR. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I've tried going directly from the modem to the DVR. Same problem. The only router I have is the Vonage one. It sounds like you suspect it may be causing a problem.

One other note is that I am connecting a second modem in the room that contains the DVR. Perhaps this hookup is compromised, although the DVR indicates that it has a connection.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
1) It would be nice if you had/bought/borrowed a real router somewhere. Those cable modems both have only a single RJ45 jack (and USB jack). Actually the single jack isn't the real problem since you could expand that with a cheap switch. Apparently this particular cable modem has no DHCP server, so something else has to hand out IP addresses to your LAN clients. I am real suspicious that the RJ45/USB ports on the back are an either/or situation.

2) If you can put a 2nd cable modem on your cable line, then I've never heard of it. It seems to me if one has your account credentials, the other will be blocked. (I don't know this; maybe another Comcast customer in your area can say.)

3) Actually it makes sense when you say you can direct-connect the VIP612 to the cable modem, and it still doesn't work using either cable modem. At least we have consistency!

4) VoIP adapters generally don't make good routers either, and I've never seen one yet that has to be used as such. I've had as many as 3 different VoIP services plugged in simultaneously to my router, with no issue. But it's a real router. Which Vonage adapter do you have BTW? If it has multiple ports on the back, then darn it that should have worked!

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Thanks, TheKrell. What you wrote might be the case. I am going to skip the additional modem and attempt to thread a long cat5 cable all the way down the stairs and connect to the DVR. If that works, my best bet might be to spring for the homeplug setup. A chat with Dish Network just yielded the info that they sell them for around $25.

Thanks, again, for the input.

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Well, I tried connecting in this order: Cable modem (original modem at original coax connection) > Motorola VT2442 "Broadband Voice Gateway" (multiple ports) > cat5 cable through the house all the way to the DVR, and still no go. I don't want to shell out the additional dough for the homeplug setup if I can't even connect directly via ethernet cable.

Next attempt, borrow a non-voice router and try it with that.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
something is keeping you "safe"

It sounds like something is set to protect your network from having unknown intruders. It sounds like a set in the router may not be allowing new computers to connect on your net work. Could you have installed some type of hardware with s/w that keeps only known pc's on your net. It's a lot like a firewall is set up and won't let the rec connect into the system the other possibility is the rec has a bad LAN set up.

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Problem Solved!

I accessed the setup area for the Motorola VT2442 (VoIP router) and disabled the firewall option. Bingo! I have remote access when the modem is connected upstairs in the office, as well as when it is relocated to the living room.

Now I will see if Comcast will authorize the additional modem. If not, it's the homeplug solution for me.

Thanks for all the help, folks. :up

TheKrell

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I accessed the setup area for the Motorola VT2442 (VoIP router) and disabled the firewall option. Bingo! I have remote access
Congratulations! I Googled Motorola VT2442 and it seems to be quite competent, though at the complicated end of the spectrum in residential routers. One of the top links was "Why I Have No Aspirin Left." ;)

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Comcast can be a cruel mistress . . .

I finally heard from Comcast that, indeed, the added Linksys cable modem would require my purchasing an additional "plan". Oh, how I wish that one of their CSRs had advised me of this requirement earlier in the troubleshooting process.

I ordered the homeplug device from Dish Network today ($29 + $8.95 shipping), and will advise as to its success or failure following installation.

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I accessed the setup area for the Motorola VT2442 (VoIP router) and disabled the firewall option. Bingo!

That's good news. I wouldn't have thought it would have been a firewall issue. The cable company here doesn't allow access to the configuration of the cable modem. It simply acts like a bridge and the linksys router you plug into it acts as the gateway. I ran a cat 5 cable through my attic from my office closet to the living room. Luckily I have a 1 story house with a huge attic.

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
To clarify . . .

That's good news. I wouldn't have thought it would have been a firewall issue. The cable company here doesn't allow access to the configuration of the cable modem. It simply acts like a bridge and the linksys router you plug into it acts as the gateway. I ran a cat 5 cable through my attic from my office closet to the living room. Luckily I have a 1 story house with a huge attic.
Actually, I didn't access the cable modem. I merely modified the firewall option on the router.

Thanks for the feedback!

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
Actually, I didn't access the cable modem. I merely modified the firewall option on the router.

Thanks for the feedback!
Oh on your router. That's crazy. Did you originally lock it down or modify it? I have never modified the firewall on any linksys router I have used and never had a problem.

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Oh on your router. That's crazy. Did you originally lock it down or modify it? I have never modified the firewall on any linksys router I have used and never had a problem.
This is the Motorola VT2442 router that Vonage sent me when I originally activated my service. The IP address is 192.168.15.1. The UN/PW is router/router. Then navigate to Setup > WAN page, and de-select the firewall option.

Here's a pic:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/611077/VT2442 Firewall.png

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Roger on the surge protector!

FYI, if your DVR is plugged into a surge protector or UPS, the built-in homeplug in the DVR may not work. You may need to plug your DVR directly into the wall.

Mitch
Thanks, Mitch. I'll keep that in mind when I am doing the installation.

Les

rummy53

Jun 19, 2009
renton
Sling Homeplug Works!

Just hooked up the homeplug, and everything appears to be working properly. The tip about avoiding the power strip is apparently true, as I was unable to connect until I plugged both homeplug and DVR directly into power outlet. Thanks, everyone! :):up

TheKrell

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
It's networking over your power line, and it's built in on all VIP receivers. If you don't have a land telephone line, then you might really want to go with this assuming you have broadband Internet. The receiver can "phone home" using the Internet rather than the phone. It can do this via the twisted pair jack or homeplug networking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)