Linksys PLTK300 PowerLine Network Kit $75 at Circuit City

Totoro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Boston
My Circuit City was nearly cleaned out of everything, but they had plenty of Linksys powerline kits. Networking equipment was 50% off

I plugged mine in and my HD receivers worked well with it. Download speeds were comparable to wireless.

Good reviews on Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-PLTK300-PowerLine-Network-Kit/dp/B001FB5TZ4/]Amazon.com: Linksys PLTK300 PowerLine Network Kit: Electronics[/ame]

PLK300

For what its worth, I recently purchase the PLK300 which looks like the PLTK300 but can go up to 200Mbps and in my installation it checks out at those speeds. I have a 722 and a blu-ray player hooked up to it and both work great. I paid $150 for the PLK300 at Buy.com (not a recommendation) via eBay.

You get what you pay for though, the TRENDnet device is rated at up to 14Mbps, the PLTK300 at up to 85Mbps and the PLK300 at up to 200Mbps. Cheaper isn't always the better choice especially if you want to download from DishNet!

I bought the Linksys kit on the day before my Circuit City closed for $60. I really wasn't sure how well it would work, but it has been really solid and fast.

I have my upstairs PC and my Vip622 hooked up to it, and it is so much faster and more reliable than my wireless connection. Note, I am plugging my 622 to the 4-port powerline hub instead of using the built-in powerline adapter, but only because my hub is right behind my Tv/receiver.

One of these days, I might try the built-in adapter just to prove it works.

Note: The PLTK300 is homeplug 1.0 compliant and should work the 622 and 722 receivers if they are just plugged into a wall socket. The PLK300 is the faster speed and is not homeplug 1.0 compliant. You would have to plug the 622/722 via ethernet into the 4-port hub.

I bought the Linksys kit on the day before my Circuit City closed for $60. I really wasn't sure how well it would work, but it has been really solid and fast.

I have my upstairs PC and my Vip622 hooked up to it, and it is so much faster and more reliable than my wireless connection. Note, I am plugging my 622 to the 4-port powerline hub instead of using the built-in powerline adapter, but only because my hub is right behind my Tv/receiver.

One of these days, I might try the built-in adapter just to prove it works.

Note: The PLTK300 is homeplug 1.0 compliant and should work the 622 and 722 receivers if they are just plugged into a wall socket. The PLK300 is the faster speed and is not homeplug 1.0 compliant. You would have to plug the 622/722 via ethernet into the 4-port hub.

With those speeds, it is reasonable to transfer recordings between DVRs, but as far as I know, it is not a feature that DISH supports. Most importantly, I am hoping DISH will update the 612 to make it web enabled so that I can use it with sling guide.

I just got a HAVA Titanium HD WIFI from there and it is better in quality then my slingbox pro HD. I paid $125 for it. and it is wireless, I use it to get directv to my house from my friends house. Too bad c city is going out of business.

I just got a HAVA Titanium HD WIFI from there and it is better in quality then my slingbox pro HD. I paid $125 for it. and it is wireless, I use it to get directv to my house from my friends house. Too bad c city is going out of business.

So you are stealing (sharing) service?

If you are using the slingbox then wouldn't that make it a gray area?

What other uses does this have? There is enough free content on the web already. Is there another use for these devices. They have the Hava on sale at my local CC too, but I don't see the value in it. For that kind of money, I would rather invest in an EHD or something else that I might use more.

Is there any compelling reason for me to buy this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)