Linuxman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACRadio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Near Asheville NC
I was wondering if you had ever seen an OFFSET Birdview....this is from 1985...

Attachments

• Birdview Offset s.jpg
    Birdview Offset s.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 173
Is there something inherently better about offset dishes for Ku reception? If everything else is equal is the same size offset dish going to be more efficient than a prime focus dish? If so, is it just because of the signal that is blocked by the feed arms (if not a buttonhook), and the feed itself? Please educate me, I've wondered about this for a while. :confused:

btw, that's an awesome picture, those feed support arms are massive! :eek:

...That reminds me, in my youth I used to subscribe to STV, I need to go to my Mom's and see if I still have any of them, I think I put a box of them in her attic...:)

phlat...
It's because the feed support arms are out of the way as well as the feed is able to illuminate more of the surface area of the reflector. On a prime focus, the feed doesn't see the rim area as well as it sees the center. That's why a shallow dish is more efficient than the same size deep dish. An offset dish can be more efficient as it has a greater f/d ratio...it can "see" more of the whole surface area.

stogie...
I have a bunch of STV's as well as a 1983 edition of Satellite TV. I also have some Home Satellite TV and some Satellite TV Videoworld. I mentioned in another thread that I might scan a couple of issues and convert them to a PDF and upload them to the forum for a trip down memory lane. Some of the whipper snappers might want to see how satellite TV was in it's formidible years.

phlat...
It's because the feed support arms are out of the way as well as the feed is able to illuminate more of the surface area of the reflector. On a prime focus, the feed doesn't see the rim area as well as it sees the center. That's why a shallow dish is more efficient than the same size deep dish. An offset dish can be more efficient as it has a greater f/d ratio...it can "see" more of the whole surface area.

stogie...
I have a bunch of STV's as well as a 1983 edition of Satellite TV. I also have some Home Satellite TV and some Satellite TV Videoworld. I mentioned in another thread that I might scan a couple of issues and convert them to a PDF and upload them to the forum for a trip down memory lane. Some of the whipper snappers might want to see how satellite TV was in it's formidible years.

Thanks for that info, ACRadio, that clears some things up for me. It also gives me a good reason to better educate myself on f/d ratio (which for quite a while I thought was the same thing as focal distance).

I'd definitely take a look at those old mags if you posted them. :up

Birdview SPOON ?

I ran into an old guy a while back, and we started talkin' Birdviews.
He was on the west coast and claimed to have some... yes, some!
Naturally, that got my attention, as I have room for two, if I were to become greedy .
We ran a retail store with appliances, electronics, and the VERY FIRST satellite systems in this area. Being an engineer, I totally appreciated the entire design & execution concept of the Birdview company. I have a couple of the 8.5 foot spun white systems and a PALLET of the offset-feed units, called The Spoon.
I have TONS of info, since we purchased a pallet of them when Birdview was closing down. . .will scan and send on just as soon as I find the Spoon brochure. You WILL be impressed! I have installed dozens of the round units, several of these Spoons, which are offset feed. You will be surprised, as I was, by the "side-lobe" figures. And that motor mount---no wonder The Guys are impressed with it! My wife always said it wildly reminded her of half a Maytag transmission---for its gear and cog design---and you KNOW how reliable those babies are!!

I'll be back tomorrow with The Good Stuff!!!
That was 9 months ago, and I've never been able to contact him since.

So, glad to know he was onto something.
But sad to not be able to follow up on it.

Wow...why can't someone on the East coast have something like that. And to think they are just sitting on a pallet doing nothing...reflecting no microwave at all...:(

Such a shame...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts