Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Hey all,

I seem to remember a few channels having live Olympics coverage, rather than the time-delayed and edited NBC coverage. Does anyone know off the top of their heads where to look in Ku-band? I think there were a few during the summer Olympics on 97W, maybe Al Kass and a couple others (I think something in French?) I don't really care if it's in English, but I'd like to watch some live stuff.

If need be, mods can move this to WUT.

FWIW, NBC is promising live coverage across all time zones this time around, including late night "primetime plus," so you might find more on NBC than in previous years.

There's a list of rights holders here, although because consortia are often involved you don't necessarily get to see the channel names that will be carrying coverage: List of 2018 Winter Olympics broadcasters - Wikipedia.

Someone might have a better idea than I do.

I think we can rule out most of the "international" channels - by that I mean channels that are targeted at a foreign audience - such as NHK, CGTN, KBS, DW, BVN etc. The rights they acquired are probably limited to their national channels.

Maybe we have better luck with some of the numerous Latin American channels, which for the most part are domestic channels. Also worth checking are some of the middle-eastern channels, and some of the African channels (RTI, RTS, NTA, etc). Cubavision might be worth checking too.

The Canadian coverage claims to show every event live, although some of that is streamed. Probably all their feeds on FTA birds are encrypted, but if you subscribed to Shaw or Bell, it would all be there. The kids were up at 3:30 am watching the opening ceremony.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)