LIVE: Real Madrid vs. Mallorca 6/17 @ 3pm - The Final Match of the La Liga season!

What a game! What a celebration!!!

Congratulations, Real Madrid!!!

What a great match to finish the season! Thanks WorldSport for bringing us one more year of live HD coverage from Spain!
And many-many thanks to Paul and Sid for their excellent commentary, as always!
See you back in August! So long! :wave

From Paul's Expert's Take (at www.worldsporthd.com):

CONGRATULATIONS REAL MADRID 06-07' SPL CHAMPIONS

June 18th

So after 10 long months, 38 games and a whole lot more drama than a man can stand under normal circumstances, the Spanish Primera Liga 2006-2007 has come to an end.

Congratulations to Real Madrid, who were crowned Champions in a packed Santiago Bernabeu stadium following a performance that just about sums up their entire season.

Needing to win they went behind to Mallorca, were let off the hook when Varela missed a 1 on 1 with Iker Casillas and finally went ahead with a goal that went in off a defenders backside.

Before that decisive second goal and with just 11 minutes remaining Barcelona were Champions and a miracle looked to be heading their way. It was not to be and there was a sense of inevitability after Reyes had leveled the scores following good work from Higuain.

Madrid president Ramon Calderon said following the dramatic events in the Barcelona derby and in Zaragoza, when those dramatic 20 seconds saw everything turned around in Madrid's favour that God was a Madrid fan.

I don't believe that for a moment (he obviously wears the red and white of Athletic Bilbao), but without wanting to be churlish, those little moments of luck have all gone Madrid's way this year.

The luck of the Champions is indeed a big factor in lifting the title and Madrid have had it. Even against Mallorca, they would have been down and out had Mallorca scored a second (and Varela should have done that).

Think about those two games against Valencia and how many key players Valencia had injured or how Alves missed that sitter that would have given Sevilla a 2-1 lead in the Bernabeu. Think about that second goal last night that went in off the defender's bottom!

Saying that Madrid have also earned that luck especially in the second half of the season with a display of commitment and team spirit that was lacking in Barcelona.

Barca played the best football and they were the best team to watch (with apologies to Sevilla), but they made stupid mistakes in defence. There is no way Real Madrid would have conceded those late goals against Betis and Espanyol, which eventually cost Frank Rijkaard's side the title.

They have work to do in the Camp Nou over the summer and it will be very interesting to see who is there at the start of next season and who has moved on to pastures new.

As for Sevilla, they are the side people here feel most sorry for. Juande Ramos?men ended up finishing third after the toll of a long campaign battling on three fronts became just too much for them.

They have the compensation of a place in the Champions League, they won the UEFA Cup and they can win the Copa del Rey next Saturday. Whether Juande will be there next season is a big question and you can't help but think that if he leaves they won't repeat this year's feats.

At the bottom it is "adios"to Gimnastic, Real Sociedad and to Celta Vigo. In la Real and Celta we are loosing two Primera Liga classic teams and I will miss them, but not as much as I would have missed Athletic Bilbao!

So we have a well earned break and a summer that looks as if it will be packed with transfer moves. I will be keeping you up to date with events every week, so keep on checking out the site so you know everything that has happened when it all kicks off again on the last weekend of August.

It's been emotional. PAUL

Ps don't forget we still have two more episodes of La Liga report that will round off everything that happened on that dramatic last day of the campaign and which will bring you the highlights of the entire season.

Ilya or Sean when is the TV schedule for the upcoming season going to be released for WorldsportHD, I know the derby Real vs Atletico is the first week, and Barca vs Real the day before Xmas :)

Ilya or Sean when is the TV schedule for the upcoming season going to be released for WorldsportHD, I know the derby Real vs Atletico is the first week, and Barca vs Real the day before Xmas :)

I just posted a message from Paul in the schedule thread ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)