Live Retailer Chat Recap - May 18, 2006

I do not like where the markets of this "Dish Latino Advantage" are.

Why didn't Dish release them in San Diego, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and I'm as lost as Juan, what is "Dish Latino Advantage"?

Anyone else wish they'd just leave our boxes alone? If I VOD i'll switch to cable...No good can come from a new software update. I know how to work my SAT/TV/AUX buttons and how to change the channel, I don't need those videos automatically sent to me.

Purogamer said:
Anyone else wish they'd just leave our boxes alone? If I VOD i'll switch to cable...No good can come from a new software update. I know how to work my SAT/TV/AUX buttons and how to change the channel, I don't need those videos automatically sent to me.

Hear hear. If they somehow compress the recording capacity on these 510 and 50x DVR's to still allow the prev. recording capacity and incorporate VOD, users should see little harm other than the initial set of bugs that'd appear with new features coming on board. But! Name-based recording should be a welcome feature for most 510 and 50x DVR users. The funny thing is that DISH is implementing VOD before NBR which is in the best interest of DISH and not necessarily its subs. VOD will create add'l. revenue quick. NBR will just be an added value to the subs.

room for VOD?

And what if my 510 disk is so full that there isn't room for "Police Academy XX" or whatever Dish wants to shove on it? Would it overwrite my oldest recording as if _I_ had set a timer?

Also, to confirm my understanding, I can turn off software upgrades and avoid all of this, correct?

Anybody see SNL last week? They had a 70's game show skit that seemed to be mostly about how annoying Rich Little was.

I went to some meeting in the late 80s where Fred Travelina performed. He was like the "new Rich Little", and he was already a has-been then.

(Dang, I must have missed Police Academy VII through XIX!)

Yes you can turn the update to "needs permission" instead of automatically, but it'll bug you every time you turn on your box. I have it set but I don't go 2-3 days before I give in to it...

Dish has always claimed that VOD space has always been on the boxes and it won't affect your usable space. I don't believe that. I dare anyone to fill up their HDD after VOD is installed and see what happens. I can't even get it filled before it stops working, and I don't even have VOD yet...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)