LNB Drift detected verification

dougb

Original poster
May 13, 2011
SW Colorado
I've had numerous times when my 322 receiver has lost signal (error 015 screen), many of them for more than 12 hours. It seems like bad weather causes it. Last night the receiver was out for 15 hours during the time when the clouds were the densest. When the sky totally cleared, the receiver worked for less than an hour until it happened again. This time it took about 6 hours to come back and the sky was perfectly clear during that time. In reading the posts here, I found my info screen and it says:
LNB Drift Detected
....119(e-7)
...110(e-7)

If I'm reading the posts correctly, it looks like my LNB needs replacing.

My question is: Is that the correct diagnosis and should I expect to have it replaced free even though I do not pay for service?

I have called Dish numerous times and have never had anyone suggest looking at the 6-1-3 screen to see if there's a problem there. How do I convince them that this is the problem? Or is there a way to call my service tech directly?

Thanks for your help!

Doug

Your LNB is past the e-5 threshold for replacement. However, that may not be the entire problem if you are losing signal for that long that frequently. Your system may need a full check-up. If you haven't had any service calls done already, you can usually get the loyalty team to waive the service fee as a one-time courtesy.

Hi Doug, I agree that you will need a service technician. I would be happy to assist you in getting that set-up. You can PM me your account info and we can schedule the tech visit. Thanks!!

Mary,

Have you ever heard of an LNB fixing itself?

I had drift on my 77 lnb, I think it was -15, but I hadn't done anything since I get no channels from there, but the last time I looked it showed no problem.

I'll let you know if the drift comes back.

megamike said:
Mary,

I had drift on my 77 lnb, I think it was -15, but I hadn't done anything since I get no channels from there, but the last time I looked it showed no problem.

I think the drift on 77 at -15 is normal now ever since 77 went goofy. I have the same on my receiver.

Mary,

I have seen this too on service calls, then it goes away..

Jimmerinwi said:
I have seen this too on service calls, then it goes away..

Yeah, the 77 issue happened right before I had surgery so I haven't worked for the past 3 months so I haven't seen any others. Lol.

Just FYI:

LNB drift is really oscillator frequency drifting. When the receiver tunes to a certain station it is tuning to a certain frequency. If the LNB drift is high enough, stations will start dropping out because the receiver will not be able to tune to it. The newer receivers can handle some amount of LNB drift and can compensate for it. A drift of 8 or 10 can usually be handled by one of the newer receivers. At one time, if the LNB drift was greater than 8, Dish would replace the LNB. I don't know what their policy is now.

Many times LNB drift is related to the outside temperature. Several years ago, when I had the LNB drift problem, the drift got worse as the outside temperature increased. During the night, when the temperature dropped, the drift would decrease and everything worked OK. However during the day (it was summer) when the temperature heated up, the LNB drift got worse and channels would start dropping out. I had a 501 receiver at that time and it could not compensate for the drift.

Usually, the LNB drift does not magically disappear, so if it is 15 and then a short time later it is 0 then this is probably a software bug.

I have the same issue on mine as well ("LND Drift Detected...0x1c, 0xa2, 77 (o+15)). STB Health Lite readings are all zeroes, but for the nine values readings below that, value 7 is "-2". Trouble or just keep an eye on it for now?

skynetamit said:
Can someone explain what LNB drift is for me, I tried google, but let's break it down to Sat installer talk. Thanks in advance

I thought that I explained it pretty well just 2 posts before your post above. It is oscillator frequency drifting.

Here's what I hear. An LNB has physical devices/circuits in them called frequency oscillators. They isolate a frequency that a channel is broadcast on. For example, say channel 105(USA) broadcasts at a frequency of 12000-12200. Say 106(TV Land) broadcasts at a frequency of 12500-12700. The oscillators ensure that the separation between those two channel's frequencies are maintained. Kind of like bulkheads in the the Titanic's hull that keep water from spilling over into the next chamber. Over time, those oscillators wear out from use, heat, cold, etc. So instead of keeping those two channel's frequencies at say 300Mhz apart, USA frequencies begin to "drift" at 12000-12300, and TVLand frequencies "drift" at 12400-13000. Kind of like the water in the Titanic's hull starting to spill over the bulkheads. You'll notice the issue more easily when changing channels, the rcvr take longer to lock onto the channel. So instead of a one second pause between channels, it begins to take two or three seconds. The oscilators are having a harder time isolating each channels specific frequency. The problem is critical when a customer changes a channel and only gets a black screen or audio and no video. The oscillators cannot maintain that separation and has a hard time determining which channel to lock onto. Do they lock onto USA's frequency or TVLand's frequency. The frequency deviation function on the Super Sat Buddy will give you an exact reading on the spread or 'LNB Drift'. I had a hard time sifting through all the responses of what LNB drift was. This one seemed to make the most sense. Hope this helps.

Excellent information in this thread. Thanks. However, does anyone know what the specific numbers indicate?

When I turned on my receiver this morning, it was on channel 106 (where I left it last night before bed). There was signal loss. I tuned to a different channel (different satellite) without difficulty. When I tried to tune back to 106, it still said there was signal loss. I went back to the other channel for a minute or so and then tried 106 again. 106 tuned in fine.

I have a spreadsheet where I document signal strengths for key transponders for each satellite. I've been doing this about every two months since my 1000.4 install in June 2010 (I also indicate weather conditions, time of day, etc.). When I checked signal strengths this morning, all of them were on par with what they have been. Specifically, the satellite/transponder for the channel in question had a signal strength of 67.

I then checked "system info" (menu-->6-->1-->3). I received the message "check "details" for LNB!". Under details I see, "LNB Drift Detected...0x00, 0xa2, 77 (o +14)"

All appears to be working fine, but after reading this thread, I'm curious as to what the numbers actually mean: 0x00, 0xa2, 77 (o +14)

I'm also stymied as to why the ViP 622 & 722 software still does not reflect EA health in this "details: screen. It still reports 110, 119, and 129. (of course all as "0" since it's pointed at 61.5, 72.7, and 77. But that's a complaint for another thread.

Last edited:
120inna55,

Are you sure you are pointed at the EA orbitals? When a check switch test is performed on the receiver, it will indicate which satellites the receiver is locked onto and put those satellite numbers in the Installation Summary screen. If you PM your account number to me, I can check your account to see which satellites are listed on your account.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=356

Yes, the check switch shows the correct sats. Always has. I was referring to the "System Info" sub-screen, "Details". While even "System Info" shows the correct sats (77, 72, 61.5), the "Details" screen shows,

Code:
STB Health Lite
Tuner 0 as of 06/29/11 3:45am
Orbital:  14  15  16  21
110          0   0    0  
119          0   0    0
129          0   0    0

Tuner 1 as of 06/29/11 3:50am
Orbital:  14  15  16  21
110          0   0    0  
119          0   0    0
129          0   0    0

This has always been the case. The software has never been updated to have the "Details" screen reflect the EA birds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts