LNB frequently needs replaced... Whats wrong?

BeerBelli

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I'm about to make a service call for my 5th LNB in 2 years. System was installed by dish, and appears to be well grounded.

The latest one was replaced 9 weeks ago and fortunately is still under warranty.

Will the 90 day warranty cover the $29.00 service call? I have the $5.00 monthly insurance.

What could be causing them to go bad so often?

Thanks!

Not sure what recievers you are using but I had the same problem about a year ago and the problem ended up being a bad 622 reciever. After getting the reciever changed out I have had no problems. I think I had about five service calls and was not charged for any of them.

I had a similar problem, 2 LNBs seemingly bad in 1 year. When it died the second time, the tech replaced the receiver instead of the LNB to see what happened, and the LNB was perfectly fine-- one of the inputs was dying on the receiver.

I'm about to make a service call for my 5th LNB in 2 years. System was installed by dish, and appears to be well grounded.

The latest one was replaced 9 weeks ago and fortunately is still under warranty.

Will the 90 day warranty cover the $29.00 service call? I have the $5.00 monthly insurance.

What could be causing them to go bad so often?

Thanks!

It could be anything from a bad receiver,cable,barrel,lnb,switch,rusty connectors,LOS,ground block(if any) or even the power in your home. Just can't tell untill someone trouble shoots it. Even that it is no guarantee that is gets fixed. If you had 5 LNB's in 2 years, My guess that it aint the LNB going bad. Is your wiring RG6 or RG59? (see if you can find some lettering on the cable), Do you know of any splitters in the cable? if so, Point that out when the installer gets there. What color are the wall barrels? are they clear or blue?, If clear point that out to the installer too. If the cable is RG59, Then that has to be replaced. Have the tech check the voltage in your home's wiring. If the installer does not know how to check it tell him to use that Orange/Yellow 3 prong electrical/ground checker thingy. I think something else is wrong. Let me know.

Might be the house wiring. In a situation called a "bootleg" or "floating" ground, the wiring system sends a high voltage through the "neutral" wire and fries the lnb.

Might be the house wiring. In a situation called a "bootleg" or "floating" ground, the wiring system sends a high voltage through the "neutral" wire and fries the lnb.

Mike, how do you test with a multi-meter for a floating ground problem? Are there any other symptoms besides LNBs going bad?

I'm getting a new receiver, so we will see if that resolves things.

Thanks for all the replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)