LNB label says SWM, but has 4 wires, is it SWM or not?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wtford

Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
I have a working Directv SD setup, but I would like to upgrade to HD.

I purchased a used H21, which is an HD capable SWM receiver. I am about to purchase a slimline dish with a sl3s4nr2-14 LNB. This LNB has 4 wire feeds coming out of it, but it says SWM on the label. I am confused as to whether this is SWM or not and if it will work with the H21.

Everywhere I have read says 4-wire means non-SWM. Is this true? Why would it say SWM on the LNB's label?

If the LNB is SWM, I would need a power-inserter as well, correct? Are the 4 wire feeds unnecessary then?

If the LNB is not SWM, would one wire from this LNB plugged into the H21 actually work? Can a SWM receiver read from a non-SWM feed?

Thanks!!

First off, the H21 will work on a swm or non swm system. If you are using a non swm, then you need a bbc in line. A swm setup always needs a power inserter. Now to the lnb you have. The label says swm, but it has four ports? That shouldn't be. Can you post a picture?

First off, the H21 will work on a swm or non swm system. If you are using a non swm, then you need a bbc in line. A swm setup always needs a power inserter. Now to the lnb you have. The label says swm, but it has four ports? That shouldn't be. Can you post a picture?

Thanks for the reply. Attached is a picture of the label. Sorry about the poor quality -- I am not at the site and someone else is photographing. The label shows the model of the LNB and has Directv's SWM or SWIM logo.

I was there this morning and observed that there are 4 coax feeds coming from the LNB. I requested a picture to be taken of the 4 wires. Most images from google of this LNB show only 1 wire. But this one I saw had 4 wires, similar to the other picture I attached, which I also found on google.

Attachments

• IMG_9326.jpeg
    IMG_9326.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 217
  • sl3s4nr2 LNB.jpg
    sl3s4nr2 LNB.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 225
Thanks for the reply. Attached is a picture of the label. Sorry about the poor quality -- I am not at the site and someone else is photographing. The label shows the model of the LNB and has Directv's SWM or SWIM logo.

I was there this morning and observed that there are 4 coax feeds coming from the LNB. I requested a picture to be taken of the 4 wires. Most images from google of this LNB show only 1 wire. But this one I saw had 4 wires, similar to the other picture I attached, which I also found on google.

It really must be a mislabeled LNB. It's either a non-SWM that has a SWM label, or else it is a SWM and someone has installed too many jacks. I think I will look for another dish. Every other picture for this model number has only one jack and one wire.

Here's my best guess: It's a swm lnb that replaced a standard one, but the four wires weren't removed from the arm. If you remove the lnb, I'll bet there is only one cable connected to the only port. Is there a power inserter somewhere already?

Here's my best guess: It's a swm lnb that replaced a standard one, but the four wires weren't removed from the arm. If you remove the lnb, I'll bet there is only one cable connected to the only port. Is there a power inserter somewhere already?
Yeah, that must be it. If I get a chance to open it up I will. It does not come with a power inserter, unfortunately, or I could have tested it out.

A swm needs a power inserter to work properly. I have read of cases where they do work without one, but not for long.

The SWM LNB he has is the original ones (I think that they were used in the beginning of SWM).
Also, if you go to a SWM 16 (from an 8) you use this type of set up with 4 leads still from the LNB down to a SWM 16 switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts