Local cable channels on Dish guide?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
G

Original poster
Is it possible to integrate local channels via cablevision into the channel guide on Dish? I want to keep my local stations thru cable and hate the thought of having to be switching back and forth between the satellite and cable. I thought that I read someplace where cable channels could be integrated into the Dish guide. Is that possible??

Thanks

A few (see charts below) Echostar receivers allow 'integrated locals', i.e. the receiver has an RF input to take your rooftop or cable signals. (See setup pix in following post)

For those stations that are ABC, CBS or NBC you will see program info in the guide during prime-time network programming. During 'off prime time' hours the guide reads 'local proramming' or somesuch. If the station you added isn't one of the 'big 3' networks you don't get any guide data at all (but at least the channel names/numbers show up in the list).

A VCR or DVD player can be hooked up to the A/V input - anything fed to the input jacks apepars on channel 000.

Look at this chart of current receivers under 'extras' and it says the model 6000 offers 'local integration'.

Take a look at this chart of old receivers under 'extras' too.

So, in summary, your receiver has to support 'local integration' to do what you want and the data in the guide will be minimal.

Screenshots of Model 5000 locals setup

I dug these out of an old set of snapshots I found at a website - they show the setup screens for locals in a model 5000 receiver:

Most receivers dont integrate OTA or cable. AFAIK only HD ones. Maybe I am wrong.

AppliedAggression said:
You can't do this with newer receivers can you?

Not the new SD receivers, however the 6000 HD receiver with the tuner module and the coming soon 811 and 921 HD receivers. The only old SD receiver that could integrate ota or cable locals into the epg was the 5000, which also had a DVHS video tape recorder and cable ready ota tuner built in, you may be able to find one on E-bay if you are lucky.

Thanks for all the great replys. I guess that wasn't a popular option since the newer boxes don't support this feature. Too bad, I think it has merit.

Chris Freeland said:
The only old SD receiver that could integrate ota or cable locals into the epg was the 5000, which also had a DVHS video tape recorder and cable ready ota tuner built in, you may be able to find one on E-bay if you are lucky.

No, the Dish 5000 (aka JVC5500) was not the DVHS recorder, but it did have the integrated OTA/cable. The DVHS recorder model was the JVC DSR-100. See my link above 'old receivers chart'.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)