Local Channel Choice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

south176

Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Lincoln, NE
Our rural area is not in a "switchable" zone. Our "locals" come from cities 50 to 100 miles away. However a large metro area is less than 50 miles away (with all the networks) but we cannot get the stations who have the most useful news/sports/weather via satellite because of the some FCC rule about local stations (hope the antenna comes in). There seems to be somewhere/someone at the FCC who would listen to a large grass roots group who want the "freedom" to choose our local channels, which are the most relevant to where we live.

Any suggestions?? or am I just blowing smoke.

Thanks

Ack... I just wrote a big reply and it vanished. :mad:

Anyway, I'll try to summarize...

The rules require cable companies to provide local broadcast channels serving the local DMA. The rules are in place, specifically, to protect television stations from having their audience cannibalized by television stations from other areas. This protection ensures that television stations in smaller or otherwise disadvantaged DMAs don't end up getting substantially worse service, because they cannot afford to compete with stations from the more powerful cities. Since local television service reflection on a city's reputation, you can be sure that this is a major political issue. A DMA switch really has to be supported by vast numbers of the general public, overwhelming those who would oppose such a switch.

However it is possible. The DMAs, themselves, are actually not even drawn by the government, but rather by Nielsen Media. They will almost surely respond to requests, if those requests are overwhelmingly supported. But don't underestimate the work you've got ahead of you. This isn't just something that benefits the local television stations that you are receiving. It is considered a civic issue, and therefore you'll find a lot of people who are civically minded with regard to the city at the center of the DMA you're currently in vigorously opposing your request. Of course, their elected representatives will support their efforts, and the local television stations in your current DMA will also defend their territory. And you won't find much support from the television stations in the DMA you're looking to be switched into; they don't want to set too many precedents because one day they could be the target of a switch.

If you do intend to climb this mountain, you do need to start by building a lot of grassroots support among those in your local area who want to switch DMAs as much as you do. Once you have enough grassroots support, you need to secure some political backing, perhaps from a Member of Congress, and you'd be well-served by forwarding your request through that legislator's good offices, to Nielsen Media (copying the FCC).

We have a bunch of people in this area in the same position as you are. They live in Bristol County, Massachusetts, but want to be in the Boston, Massachusetts DMA (mostly so that they can watch Red Sox games on the local Boston television stations), instead of being in the Providence, Rhode Island DMA (which is where they are now). The sentiment towards switching DMA has been around for many years, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough support for anything to change, practically-speaking. There are just too many people who are concerned about having folks in Bristol County focus on Bristol County, rather than fostering thinking of the county as a part of Boston. Not even the power of the mighty Boston Red Sox is enough to foster enough support.

Best of luck in your efforts.

bicker - Thank you(!) for your well informed response. I think I will take your suggestion to test the waters for any type of feedback. I will send my message to our US Senators and cc the FCC, Neilsen, and the metro stations. It will be interesting.

Thanks again for your response and great insight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts