Local channel program data missing.

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Hi,

I just got installed with Dish Network today, and found that about half of my local channels are missing their program guide data (OTA via antenna). I called Dish, and the CSR said that the local stations must not be sending the PSIP information in the digital stream. So, next I called the engineers at the local stations, and was told that they are indeed passing the PSIP information. So, I called Dish back, and this time was told that they are currently not decoding the PSIP information, and they are using the information from the local-in-local channels to match up the program data, and that it doesn't always work. Thus, I get program data on CBS and NBC, but not on PBS, ABC, etc. He said that this is being worked on, but it is also a problem on the 921. The 921 has been out for quite a while, so I am not too satisfied to hear that they are still trying to fix a problem that has been around for this long. Does anyone else have any additional information about this?

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

I'm having the same issue with the 811. Dish has a very unforgiving PSIP interpreter. The PSIP from the station has to be perfect for Dish to show the EPG data. Most other receivers are more tolerant.

Same here, installed yesterday. 811.

I got 3 hours of program guide for OTA on my 811 on 1 channel. Nothing before or since.

My TV has a Digital/hd tuner and gets the ota stuff perfectly on all my channels.

How can companies get away with putting out such CRAP!

seandudley said:
Sounds like we all need to call and bug the hell out of them until they decide to fix it.
I think it's too late for an 811/942 fix, but it would be nice if the new MPEG-4 receivers would do OTA EPG right.

mdonnelly said:
I think it's too late for an 811/942 fix, but it would be nice if the new MPEG-4 receivers would do OTA EPG right.

I think it is something that a software update could fix, at least that is what I was told by that last CSR which claimed he normally works in the department working on the fix.

don't believe a CSR who claims to work in engineering, working on bug fixes or software updates

their CSR's are strictly that, a C.ustomer S.ervice R.epresentative (of course that's questionable half the time)

seandudley said:
I think it is something that a software update could fix, at least that is what I was told by that last CSR which claimed he normally works in the department working on the fix.
You have to call Dish for a third time to make sure that at least 2 of the CSRs' come up with same reason for the problem. Although the next one will probably have another explanation. LOL

I have never had OTA guide work on on any of my receivers, 811's 921. But I don't have a super dish and I understand that part of the guide is broadcast off that.

I had a Samsung OTA box and the guide worked part of the time on it.

I think it matters what market you are in, doesn't it? Dish has better OTA guide support in some markets than others. In the Dallas, TX market I get full OTA guide info for all the major networks on my 811. It probably matters what version of hardware/software you have too, I didn't start getting guide info on the 811 until after Dish did a firmware update a while back.

I just got off the phone with Dish Network advanced tech support and was told that the problem in which the local program guide data doesn't show up for many channels has to do with if the channel number is above 6999 or not. Aparently the software is programmed to look at the channels between 6000 and 6999 to match your local OTA channels with the LIL equivilent from Dish Network. This worked fine in Denver where the software was written since the local channels there all fall in the range. In markets like mine (Knoxville, TN), though, some of the channels are in the 7000 range, so they don't get picked up. I was told that his best guess as to when they will have the next software release done that will fix this will be in about 4-6 weeks. Getting really tired of waiting to get the local program guide data on my local channels :no .

That's another load of bulls**t. The only channel that I get is 7167. I don't get 7165 or 7166 (below) nor do I get 7168,7170,or 7171. I think this is just another dodge because they aren't smart enough to program the software. I don't think that they have a clue. :mad:

Yep, you're right, BS as it turns out. I wasn't nearby where I could check and see what channel numbers my LIL channels were at when I posted before, but now that I have checked, all of my LIL channels are in the 9000-9999 range. Some of them work, some don't. So much for that idea. I guess I need to call them again.

Really, what Dish needs to do in the future is allow the OTA tuner(s) use the PSIP data for guide data (like any other OTA tuner would), instead of using PSIP data to match your OTA channel with a LIL channel! But they probably won't, that would be to smart of them.

Tony: There's problems with that approach - mainly revolving around the fact that the local stations are NOT required to send out a lot of guide data - like the 9 days of DVR guide we get.

Now having PSIP as BACKUP for missing satguide data is a GREAT idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)