Local Channel Rules and Regulations

Rookie

Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
I am currently a subscriber to a dish satellite company and I am paying for many years now, the east & west coast local channels (Massachusetts). I just received a letter from my company stating I have until April 7, 2005 to decide which feed I want to continue receiving because I can only have one. I was originally told when this Act was passed (back in December) that I would be grandfathered in to keep both feeds because I have had them for so long. Where do I get accurate info on this as we all know you can't believe these companies. They will tell you anything.

re:east and west coast feeds

I have read on rules that are mandated for local stations that say they can only and should only be received in their domestic market area (DMA).
Authorities feel that it is unfair for someone to receiver locals from other areas. I personally think this is a bunch of @!#$%^&*.

I think there is nothing wrong with watching locals from anywhere since these are not pay channels and are broadcast free of charge in their areas.

Plus from a marketing point of view the commercials and paid ads are 99% national anyway.

Its just another form of censorship control of what the general public can watch and see. Although it may not be censored per say, but the fcc and large networks and affiliates will decide what you can watch when and where.

I currently do receive locals from several market areas and actually enjoy having the choice of watching programs on a more flexible schedule. I may want to watch elimidate at lets say 9:00 pm instead of 11:00 pm. It really is just a convienience for the person receiveing multiple feeds of locals. Plus I actually enjoy watching news broadcasts from other states. :)

I was originally told when this Act was passed (back in December) that I would be grandfathered in to keep both feeds because I have had them for so long. Where do I get accurate info on this as we all know you can't believe these companies. They will tell you anything.
Here is the issue:

You could have distant networks due to one of three reasons:

1) You qualify, meaning the database states you are in a white area for a specific network affiliate, and you could purchase the Distant Network Service without any other qualification;
2) You have a waiver, meaning the database states you are in at least the Grade B area for a given network affiliate, and the local network affiliate has decided to waive their rights, which allows you to purchase the Distant Network Service for that network solely because of the waiver;
3) You are in a Grade B broadcast area for a given network affiliate and a) received distant network service on October 31, 1999; or b) had the distant network signal(s) terminated after July 11, 1998, but before October 31, 1999. This is the "grandfathering" clause of the Satellite Home Viewers' Improvement Act (SHVIA), signed by President Clinton on 29 November, 1999.

The new law, the Satellite Home Viewers' Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA), signed by Presdinent Bush on 9 December, 2004, changes the qualification, as follows [changes are in brackets, in italics]:

1) You qualify, meaning the database states you are in a white area for a specific network affiliate, and you could purchase the Distant Network Service (DNS) without any other qualification [if your satellite company is offering the local channels from your market, you do not qualify. if you have DNS, you will keep receiving DNS until you a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite];
2) You have a waiver, meaning the database states you are in at least the Grade B area for a given network affiliate, and the local network affiliate has decided to waive their rights, which allows you to purchase the Distant Network Service (DNS) for that network solely because of the waiver [if your satellite company is offering the local channels from your market, you will probably not be able to receive a waiver. if you have DNS, you will keep receiving DNS until you a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite];
3) You are in a Grade B broadcast area for a given network affiliate and a) received Distant Network Service (DNS) on October 31, 1999; or b) had the distant network signal(s) terminated after July 11, 1998, but before October 31, 1999. This is the "grandfathering" clause of the Satellite Home Viewers' Improvement Act (SHVIA), signed by President Clinton on 29 November, 1999. [grandfathered subscribers must choose between their local channels or their DNS. customers are to be notified via mail regarding their choice, and a "no response" to the inquiry will result in DNS being terminated. if a customer elects to keep DNS, they will lose their local channels, until they a) elect not to receive DNS; b) move; or, c) no longer have service through your current satellite company. once DNS is gone, you cannot get it back if you are in a market that is available via satellite.]

Rookie, it appears you are in category 3, as a "grandfathered subscriber". The postcard itself determines that you are probably grandfathered. You must make a choice, or by the due date, you will be given your local channels, and your distant network service will be removed from your account.

Be sure to direct any and all complaints to your local affiliate, the network itself (or the NAB), the FCC and your local & state representatives. Your satellite provider has nothing to do with any of this, they just enforce the rules handed to them. Local affiliates trying to protect their ad revenues are the main culprits; their illegal monopolies are being rooted out an exposed and should end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)