Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
Greetings,

Moved one of my receivers up to my camper. Bought an oval 1 lnb dish from ebay. Got it to work well, EXCEPT that my local channels (which should be the same as at my home), show up as some other channels - such as ESPN or HSN??

I tried the web address to REFRESH my services but that did not seem to work or do anything - the service was NEVER interrupted during the refresh??

Thanks,
Don C.

The site next to me can't get the locals either. However, there are campers on the same grounds - from the same HOME city as us - who do get the the correct local channels??

Make sure you go through the set-up menu and select the oval single LNB dish option. Your box may be looking for stuff on the wrong sats if it thinks it is on a different style dish. Make sure you are aligned on the 101 bird.

Don't forget to set it back to where it was when you move it back into the house.

It sounds like you might be pointed at the wrong sat. Are your local channels the only ones that are mixed up or missing? Can you post your signal strengths?

Thank you for the prompt responses. How would I tell if I am on 101 ?? I feel I was just lucky to get any signal at all.

I would call it a single lnb with two cable connections inside it. My local city is Appleton WI. The channel banner on the local channels 2,5,11, etc, SAY it IS my local channel, but it plays the ESPN, etc. I have the MLB package and that and all other channels appear to be exactly what I get a home - 50 miles away. My home zip is 54911 and the camper zip is 54166.

I'm not up there now, but if I remember correctly, I had signal power ranging from the 40's to the 90's. I'm sure it is just the simple 18x20 oval dish with the one lnb (with two cable connections inside it).

Thank you for the prompt responses. How would I tell if I am on 101 ?? I feel I was just lucky to get any signal at all.

As you go through the set-up menu to select oval single LNB, you will have an option to see your signal strength. Check your home set-up to see what is a strong transponder on 101 (since it's only 50 miles away) and use that transponder on the signal meter when you are aiming.

I'm sure it is just the simple 18x20 oval dish with the one lnb (with two cable connections inside it).

Again, there is absolutely NO such thing as an oval dish w/ONE LNB & with ONLY 2 connections. :confused:
It sounds to me like you have a ROUND dish; those DO have a single LNB on them.

So if I am correct that you have Green Bay locals, then THAT is what your problem is - you MUST use a "real" oval dish.
It WILL have 3 LNB's on it & FOUR connectors on the LNB. These locals are on the 119 sat, which requires an oval dish to see.
Sounds like you bought the wrong thing off e-bay - go look MORE closely at some of those other camper's dishes, or compare it to the dish you have on your house, & you'll probably find this out.

Last edited:
So - I need what is referred to as a "Phase III Oval Dish" and that should correct it. What about using the Oval dish (with 2 lnbs) which was used b/4 the phase III came out?

So - I need what is referred to as a "Phase III Oval Dish" and that should correct it.

Yep

What about using the Oval dish (with 2 lnbs) which was used b/4 the phase III came out?

That would work, but you ALSO have to use an external switch to combine both LNB's. The P3 has it ALL integrated in the dish head.
Just get a P3 oval dish, make it easier on yourself & be DONE with it!

Last edited:
Many thanks to all - I am much SMARTER now!!

"Just get a P3 oval dish, make it easier on yourself & be DONE with it!"

Anyone know where I can get a REALLY good deal on the above? As, due to my ignorance, I have already spent a good chunk of change on the limited, simple round dish?

Thanks,
Don C.

Anyone know where I can get a REALLY good deal on the above? As, due to my ignorance, I have already spent a good chunk of change on the limited, simple round dish?

Check with some friends/acquaintances that might have upgraded to new D* HD equipment/dishes. They would have had their existing oval dishes replaced with slimline HD dishes & probably have NO use for the old oval dish. (assuming they still have it) Or, next time you see a D* van in your area, see if the tech might have an extra one he doesn't need.

Or, have YOU upgraded to HD yet? If you are considering it, there's your FREE oval dish you already have... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts