local channels freezing

danielle_s

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Dodge City, Ks
I was wondering what your suggestions were:

My locals are freezing up about every few minutes the pic freezes for about a second sometimes longer. On my nbc channel which has like a 93 signal it not only freezes up but I get the no signal message as well.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

OKay, and you have 1 receiver?? from your post i gather you know how to get to the signal screen for locals, when you are there does the signal go from high to low or non existent? I have a few suggestions just need a little more info..

The channels: abc,fox,wb,upn all stay green. I've gone to the tuning screen and actually monitored the signal for a few minutes to see what it does. It does go between 92 to 96 during the monitoring period. But it never goes read or drops below the the 85 mark.

NBC on the other hand well that's a total different period. It likes to dip well into the red. Sometime it completely dies but not very often.

Yes 1 receiver.

Dont go by the quality number, look at the SNR for the OTA. If SNR=0 then you will not get any picture.

If its windy, you might want to take a look at the antenna and make sure its not wobbly. Sounds silly, but a moving antenna is horrible at picking up signals. :)

-John

jgantert said:
Dont go by the quality number, look at the SNR for the OTA. If SNR=0 then you will not get any picture.

If its windy, you might want to take a look at the antenna and make sure its not wobbly. Sounds silly, but a moving antenna is horrible at picking up signals. :)

-John
Not it's not wobbling

The off air signal power / SNR: 76/21.00

Danielle,
there could be 2 thing wrong ,

1. you could be to close that you antenna is to powerful , ( I had this happen to me the other day.)

2. you may be about to adjust it more the nbc station. and the other maybe powerful enough to still have a good signal.

t

From your zip.... NBC is the same distance but a little different on the Azimuth. One receiver, winegard sensor, and the winegard 3 to 2 switch. All the other channels OTA work fine. My suggestion is the antenna was aimed a little off... due to the fact the others work... at your range from the towers, the others at the same azimuth should read high in the 90's will bet you should get 97 or above. As for NBC if the antenna is off azimuth, ie off enough to still bring in the others, not at their full strength, then it is VERY possible for NBC to read low and break up.

What's the best way to figure out if the antenna is too powerful?

I tryed hooking the antenna directly to the tv and it wouldn't pick anything up.

mudpup2003 said:
From your zip.... NBC is the same distance but a little different on the Azimuth. One receiver, winegard sensor, and the winegard 3 to 2 switch. All the other channels OTA work fine. My suggestion is the antenna was aimed a little off... due to the fact the others work... at your range from the towers, the others at the same azimuth should read high in the 90's will bet you should get 97 or above. As for NBC if the antenna is off azimuth, ie off enough to still bring in the others, not at their full strength, then it is VERY possible for NBC to read low and break up.
Why would my other stations freeze for a second or so and come back in?
Only nbc is the worst and I'm not that worried about it.

you would have to take line off the switch outside and run it straight to the antenna to the box and rescan and see what it come up with and than you would know if that is you problem.

t

OKay,
As for the antenna being to powerful, TYORK don't take this the wrong way, forget it. That is almost impossible for a sensor antenna. Example today we installed one 3.8 miles from the towers. The only interference you have to worry about are radio towers. The antenna is working fine. I would take TYORK's other suggestion and aim more towards NBC..... this will fix your problem.

Mudpup ,
not taking the wrong way i have had them work that close to but i had one the other day that was about this same distance and it was to powerful we had to put kill the power going to the antenna.

t

with the fact that my antenna is below the roof line I'm not sure I'm going to get anything higher than what I've already got. Since the installer went to the office without my acknowledge, I mean he told me after he came over, and I think that the office might have missunderstood him and thought that he needed to install the antenna on the roof or that he needed to install a larger antenna.

I wish one of you were down here to help me. What's best way to aim the antenna. To put it on the tuning screen and then move the antenna slowly to try and increase the signal.

I understand that.... the issue with that is a bad preamp in the antenna.... we have been with winegard on that. However, when that occurs, it affects more than 1 out of 5 channels, especially with her being almost the exact same distance from the repeaters. These antennas produce out nothing, the 12v supplied through the switch, creates a 20 - 28 db increase of signal.... which has no effect on a strong signal.

The antenna is connected to the winegard diaplexor wich is a 3to1 splitter outside. then it comes into the house and connects to the receiver. It connects to the little gray removable box on the back of the receiver.

EDIT sorry bout that, it's a 3to2 splitter.

That would be correct, not used to the 3 to 1.... we don't use that one, however it is the samething just for 1 reciever. I think TYORK hit it on the head with re-alignment.