Local Channels from 2 Areas

gypdude

Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I live in southwest Arkansas. I have been accustomed to viewing channels in Shreveport, LA and Little Rock, AR.
According to dishuser.org's TV Market Maps I live right on the edge of 2 different TV market areas. When I brought Dish Network into the house I had no choice but to receive Louisanna's local channels.
A friend of mine down the street called Dish and said he moved into the Little Rock viewing area. He now receives Arkansas channels.

Is there any way I can receive both Arkansas and Louisanna local channels? I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too!!!

No problem, my local cable co has locals from 2 markets, but Dish only supplies from your dma. Luckily I live close to the towers from the neighboring dma and I do have both (best part is I do not have to pay for the OTA ones and save some money).

I do know for a fact that some have been able to get 2 sets of DMA locals. It must be a glitch in the system. Although it was strange that when talking to a CSR when changing a programming package, CSR asked if both sets of locals were still wanted.

is it possible to just "move"?? I live in Carson City, for Dish that means Reno DMA. the local cable company supplies Reno and Sacramento. I'm not from here and don't care about true locals, what I want is NBC, FOX, ABC and CBS in HD with guide information so I can record those shows. I can only get CBS and PBS in HD OTA, due to the highly mountainous terrain around here.

Is this something I can just call dish and ask about, or is there some trick to it? Sacramento has locals in HD, that'd work just fine for me, or anywhere else, as long as I can get HD

You should be able to 'move' to Sacramento or San Francisco, I think you are within the footprint for both. You just call and change your SERVICE address to something in the area you want to 'move' to.

Still waiting for local channels from one major market here in Southern Delaware! I'm in the north east part of the country along the Atlantic ocean and haven't seen any major carrier with my local channels! I can be in Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia within the hour. I can be in NYC, VA, within two hours! I'm not in the middle of the country where my neighbor is miles from me! I am EAST (not WEST in the mountains) along the i-95 super City areas. Its pretty sad, I had to "change" my address with Dish, so I can see ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX! I have no CLUE whats happening around me because the news I see, is from Philly, not where I live! If it wasn't for newspapers, I would be completely LOST. Can anyone SAY, HELLO? I feel like I'm back in the stone age.

DO NOT crab about not having the chance to see two major market areas. Atleast you are ABLE to SEE ONE... Be greatful for what you have! Thankyou and goodnight.

Last edited:
I live in an area approximately half way between Augusta, GA and Columbia, SC but the DMA assigned to me is that of Augusta, GA. Accordingly, Dish will provide me with only the Augusta locals. When I lived in a nearby apartment while I was building my house, the local cable company provided both locals. Also when living in western NJ, Comcast cable also provided 2 sets of locals (NY and Philly). Why is it that cable companies can provide multiple locals but Dish either cannot or will not?

Because of the injunction prohibiting Dish from providing distant networks they are also prohibited from providing significantly viewed channels from nearby DMA's.

THEY HAVE NO CHOICE! unless the law is changed.

Because of the injunction prohibiting Dish from providing distant networks they are also prohibited from providing significantly viewed channels from nearby DMA's.

THEY HAVE NO CHOICE! unless the law is changed.

And this injuction doesn't apply to cable copmpanies?

And this injuction doesn't apply to cable copmpanies?

No, it doesn't. Cable co's have a different set of rules reguarding locals. The cable co in my area supplies both New York and Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA but Dish can only give me NY. I also have Scranton via OTA so I actually save some money with my current setup. Before the injunction I had Scranton, NY and Los Angeles.

cable has different rules than satellite. Cable has rules from the 50's that basically are "if you can pick it up you can show it"

heck DirecTv in some areas can do significantly viewed (locals from 2 markets)

Dish lost that ability a couple years ago

Is there any way I can receive both Arkansas and Louisanna local channels? I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too!!!

Sure, a couple ways... :)

Get a DirecTV account that is in the "other" market - of course, D* will NOT just sell you locals; the cheapest pkg w/locals is the family pak f/$30.

Or, start up a separate DISH account, using an address in the "other" market, as your "vacation" home. You can get a locals only & access pkg for only $10/month; you can also have the PI channels turned on at no extra charge as well. (this is what I use in addition to my other locals on D*)

Of course, you'll have to have a separate receiver(s) for these accounts, obviously...if go with DISH, you'll need to buy your own receiver upfront from somewhere, but that's not a big deal anymore.

cable has different rules than satellite. Cable has rules from the 50's that basically are "if you can pick it up you can show it"

heck DirecTv in some areas can do significantly viewed (locals from 2 markets)

Dish lost that ability a couple years ago

Is this the law or the result of a court ruling? Either way this is GROSSLY unfair!!:mad:

In my county (not my town because we have no cable) cable (TWC) provides the Albany, NY LIL as that is our DMA, as well as Springfield, MA; Hartford, CT; and Boston local channels. What court or lawmaker could possibly think this is fair? Many people are being deprived because they have no access to cable and can only get Sat. Why do they refer to these as "significantly viewed"? There is no way to pick these up OTA.

Yeah GROSSLY unfair. If you search my very first posts, you will find me crabbing about it. That's why I can not even get distant "local" stations. It happened right after I signed up for Dish. The stupid people on the phone, could not even TELL me. I had to find out myself after waking up THREE DAYS after the install and not having it!

I went from Cable: 2 channels of ABC, 3 channels of CBS, 1 channel of NBC, 4 channels of FOX, 3 channels of PBS, 2 channels of CW .........TO.......... Nothing with DISH! (same with Direct TV now)
Cable network has Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and actually my local channels at Salisbury, Maryland! Love when Judge Judy is on, she'll get ya. Funny, how cable network black outs repeated shows on at the same time.

To answer the orignal question, its a COMPLETE NO NO NO NO. If you don't like it, change companies.
So, just be thankful for what you GOT cause I don't have the chance to even get one, let alone, TWO~!!!!!

freakin BRATS. People can not just have enough, they want MORE, More, and MORE! Dar ya to move where I am and you'll miss what you GOT!
Don't feel bad about not having the ability to see more then one. I don't have ANY! Feel sorry for me. I mean, REALLY? I am in the north east along the Atlantic ocean with major cities a hour from me and don't have the ability to see them! The satellite footprints are within my viewing area and still Dish does not allow me to see it! rrrrrrRRRRrrrrrr

Last edited:
Court

It was a court ruling so that E* could no longer sell distant LIL. So one got po'd that E* wasn't really verifying that someone was living where they said they were. They filled in court to have the distants stopped by E* and won. So since we can only get 1 DMA at a time.

It was a court ruling so that E* could no longer sell distant LIL. So one got po'd that E* wasn't really verifying that someone was living where they said they were. They filled in court to have the distants stopped by E* and won. So since we can only get 1 DMA at a time.

I was under the impression that the court case involved E* providing distant networks to customers that don't qualify and they were ordered to stop providing distants to everyone period. To deprive customers of E* the ability to get significantly viewed channels that all cable customers (and D* customers??) get is excessively punitive in my opinion and another example of judicial activism at its best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts