Local channels from a different Designated Market Area

jtindol

Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
My parents are planning on getting hooked up with Dish Network's local channels soon due to the digital switchover. I went on the website and entered their address and it said that they qualified to receive the Mobile/Pensacola local channels. However, they have been watching Montgomery locals via antenna for years and would prefer to receive them as opposed to Mobile/Pensacola. They live pretty equidistant from either metro area, but they're actually a little closer to Montgomery. My question is this, if there is a case like this where you live very close to the border of another Designated Market Area, is there any way that Dish will allow you to receive locals from it instead of the one that you are officially mapped out to receive?

Anyone else encountered a situation like this?

Nope. You will get locals are assigned to your address...good ole laws for satellite companies! ;)

The only way around this is, if they change their service address to an address in another DMA after they are installed. Search for moving and you'll find a bunch of threads. It's one of those gray area subjects.

You will get programing from your DMA with Dish but you will be able to get OTA what ever your antenna will pull in. I get guide info from other DMAs on my 722 and 722K from 2 other DMAs.

jtindol,

If you consider the "moving" option, be aware of the spotbeam that Montgomery locals are transmitted for SD. The southeast corner of AL gets marginal coverage.

Digi, since I know you are on this forum, the Greenville, NC dma hd channels show as N/A on the 61.5 transponder list. Just thought you would want to correct it because they have all been available for months. They did show up as N/A on the uplink list, but that was incorrect as they became available that day. To jtindol, I get one dma by antenna thru my satellite receiver and another dma by dish, so your parents can have both. One free, and one by subscription. Just be sure they get a receiver with an ota receiver and just connect it to the ota antenna. Good luck!

Last edited:
actually they are in a VERY advantageous spot. If they can pull in locals from one DMA with an antenna, and Dish will give them another DMA, that means more options for more channels. I am able to get Hunstville, AL locals OTA but i get Birmingham locals on Dish, sometimes the huntsville channel may not be working for one reason or another, and vice versa (especially when there's weather in one DMA and not the other, sometimes the stations can't handle the overlay on thier HD channels so they drop to SD).

I wouldn't worry about "moving" just run the antenna straigt to the reciever

Digi, since I know you are on this forum, the Greenville, NC dma hd channels show as N/A on the 61.5 transponder list. Just thought you would want to correct it because they have all been available for months. They did show up as N/A on the uplink list, but that was incorrect as they became available that day. To jtindol, I get one dma by antenna thru my satellite receiver and another dma by dish, so your parents can have both. One free, and one by subscription. Just be sure they get a receiver with an ota receiver and just connect it to the ota antenna. Good luck!

I fixed that in a release of the uplink tool that is not in production yet. Thanks for the heads up though!

Thanks everyone. The OTA option via antenna sounds like a good option for them to receive Montgomery locals. However, I tried to hook up their antenna connection through the digital converter box this weekend and I received nothing on the channel scan, even though I was able to receive a pretty decent picture without the box. I don't know what's up with that. I live in Huntsville, AL and am able to get crystal clear picture through the converter box with a marginally good antenna reception without a problem. They might just need to see about getting a better antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)