Local channels from different city!

yep short and sweet

I said I got a new job and I took the receiver with me there so I need to change it to get the right locals but the bills still get paid at the billing address.

I told them, via chat, that I was going to be out of town on business for a few months, and I took my Dish and receiver with me, but my wife was going to be at home paying the bills while I was out of town.

Took about 2 minutes.

$5 says the OP's account notes are flagged with instructions not to change the service address because of past conversation.

How far can you "move." Can I "move" from DC to Philly?

Sure you can, I've moved from Florida to Montana. Just depends on if you can still get spotbeam locals if that is what is important to you.

First did this years ago to get distant locals, and have just kept it this way since there are no satellite taxes in Montana. That saves me 13% a month right there.

Obviously, I'm way out of the spotbeam for my Montana locals, but I get mine locally over the air, so its not a big deal.

The couple of times I had to get a reciever changed, just made sure to tell them it had to go to my billing address. And had them repeat it to me just to make sure.

Sure you can, I've moved from Florida to Montana. Just depends on if you can still get spotbeam locals if that is what is important to you.

First did this years ago to get distant locals, and have just kept it this way since there are no satellite taxes in Montana. That saves me 13% a month right there.

Obviously, I'm way out of the spotbeam for my Montana locals, but I get mine locally over the air, so its not a big deal.

The couple of times I had to get a reciever changed, just made sure to tell them it had to go to my billing address. And had them repeat it to me just to make sure.

I don't know much about satellite so thank you for the information. I did a google search for "spot beam" and found a map that shows DC and Philly smack in the middle of Dish's s05 spot beam. Does this mean I could get both DC and Philly locals at the same time? If so how would that work and how would I go about setting that up?

Thanks again!

you only can get one set of locals through Dish. But with an OTA antenna you can add a 2nd or even 3rd set ;)

As example I "moved" to get locals from where I use to live (Duluth, MN). I have an antenna hooked up to the HD receiver and I can get Minneapolis locals OTA.

After reading these posts, I still have two questions:

1. How can you determine what locals you can get from the spotbeams -- for example, I assume you couldn't "move" to New York and get New York locals in California. So what addresses could I "move" to from Los Angeles?

2. Do you have to provide Dish with an actual full address that you have "moved" to? If so, I guess you would have to get permission from the address resident to use the address...

Thanks.

west east XXX

After reading these posts, I still have two questions:

1. How can you determine what locals you can get from the spotbeams -- for example, I assume you couldn't "move" to New York and get New York locals in California. So what addresses could I "move" to from Los Angeles?

2. Do you have to provide Dish with an actual full address that you have "moved" to? If so, I guess you would have to get permission from the address resident to use the address...

Thanks.

1. No spotbeam will get you NYC locals in Cali. You use the list above, then subscription list thing find the city that has a spotbeam that covers you. In most cases a spot only cover about 150 to 300 out of the city that you live in. If you can find Conus (cont US) that would work. Not many of those anymore. Just those on 77 and a very few others.
2. It's best for it to be address that is correct or close to real. My unit just happens to stay at my Aunt's house. She is happy w/ her cable co.

No offense, but I gotta say you are probably the worst "mover" I've ever seen. Take Iceberg's cue...do a search, get a plan, then do the chat. But as others have said it might be too late as your account could be flagged now.

Well I should apologize then. You are obviously a "jenius". I had no idea of the calibur of intelligence I was dealing with here. I also had a question about time travel using electromagnetic generator's to bend time. I should post that here as well for you. What about JFK? Do you know who really shot him? What killed the dinosaurs? I have so many questions.

we're not trying to be mean but obviously you came here to get info on how to "move" (get locals that are outside of your market).....We gave you some options and if you had questions you should have asked before jumping to conclusions and calling Dish. I think the issue is you told them you wanted locals outside your market which you dont do.

Yep, he was told to search "moving" very early in this thread, number 4 to be exact. Obviously he didn't do that....

1. Get address in the DMA you want. I used Google Maps and real estate listings...
2. Call Dish and tell them you moved there, but keep the billing address the same.
3. DO NOT MENTION LOCAL CHANNELS. They have to switch them over when they change your service address.

What is so hard? When you walk up to a woman, is your opening line "I want sex!"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)