Local Channels in Another Market (newbie warning)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ruprick

Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
I have a friend who has UT local channels yet he lives in AZ. He merely told the company he was moving and switched his billing address. Told a 2nd friend about this who wants Oregon stations in AZ, went through the steps and now his local channels are not working at all. I would like to do the same when I switch to the dish from cable later this month so I can get the local FB games in my home state. Any ideas/thoughts/hints?

First post -- did an extensive search and could find nothing. So if there are threads that cover this feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

This is euphemistically called "moving". It works only if you can receive the locals you want wher you are. Originally all the locals were broadcast everywhere. Butt ehre is not enough capacity to do that everywhere. What is done now is to reuse the frequencies using "spotbeams" so the Oregon locals might not be available to you in AZ. Not sure what state you want or what provider you might get the from.

But legally theya re supposed to be selling you the locals for the area you live in. I know of no criminal penalty to you but you are doing something that lawmakers chose to prohibit. But you are not t he only one.

OK -- thanks for the advice. Now how would I go about figuring out if Oregon/Utah channels are available to us here in PHX? Is there a map or something I can reference?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Yes. Go to the EKB (www.echostaruser.com). There are spotbeam maps and a channel list with all the channels Dish has uplinked and what satellite and spot beam they are coming from.

In the channel list under the transponder, many locals have a number like 5s3. The first number is the transponder number. The second is the spot beam number listed on the maps. (e.g. Transponder 5 spot 3)

See ya
Tony

Great -- now when I determine the correct satellite and spot beam they are coming from, what would be my next step? Do I change the setting myself or does a customer service rep help me?

Your receiver automatically changes to the correct transponder when you select a channel. The spot beam is the trick here. It's called a spot beam because the signal only hits a certain "spot" of the country. If you are outside the spot, you cannot receive the channels on that spot's transponder. Nothing you can do about that but physically move to that area of the country.

Where the info comes in handy is when you live in the fringe of a spot. Say you live in El Paso and want to see if you can pick up East Texas channels. You can see what the signal strength is on each spot by going to the "piont dish" screen on your receiver (generally Menu 6-1-1).

See ya
Tony

Right. Portland, OR locals are only available in "spot 3" at 119. The map is a little out of date since the beam now hits most of Oregon. But there is no way there is any kind of "spill over" will reach Arizona. The transponder strength info would only be important if you lived in northern California or western Idaho where there might be enough "spill" to get a good enough signal.

If you look at the Utah beam (again, this picture has the spot a little smaller than what it really hits) you can check transponder 9 in your area. If you get a strong signal, you too can get Utah locals. If you get anything from transponders 1 or 3, that is the southern California spot and not the Oregon spot.

See ya
Tony

OK -- well that doesn't explain why my other friend is able to get Utah channels in Arizona. According to this map there should be no "spill over" from Utah either.

Sorry, I edited the post after you read it...

I added the following:

If you look at the Utah beam (again, this picture has the spot a little smaller than what it really hits) you can check transponder 9 in your area. If you get a strong signal, you too can get Utah locals. If you get anything from transponders 1 or 3, that is the southern California spot and not the Oregon spot.

See ya
Tony

Greg Bimson said:
Is this DirecTV or Dish Network?

My friend who wants the Oregon channels is currently with Dish, but he is willing to switch if it means he can get them. Would he have better luck with DirecTV?

I will be making a purchase within a week and have not decided who I will be going with. Based on the fact that I want Utah channels, who would you recommend?

Thanks again for all of the great advice.

I don't think it makes much difference....

The DirecTV spot beams are very similar.

Unless Portland locals are on ConUS beams, neither company would be able to get them to you. I am not very familiar with DirecTV channel mapping.

(ConUS = Continental US)

See ya
Tony

Based on that map, it looks like I might be better off going with DirecTV. There is overlapping between Utah and AZ.

TNGTony said:
Unless Portland locals are on ConUS beams, neither company would be able to get them to you. I am not very familiar with DirecTV channel mapping.

(ConUS = Continental US)

See ya
Tony

BTW, how would I determine if Portland is on ConUS. A quick google search didn't help.

Correct.

For DirecTV, in Phoenix, trying to get the Utah locals, you must get a signal strength reading on transponder 26 at the 101 slot. I believe the Utah spot is larger than shown on the Morgan map that Tony attached to the post.

TNGTony said:
Yes, they are on both platforms :)

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa101.html

Looks like they are on a Spot Beam on DirecTV as well. There looks to be a couple of channels on the same channel number.

See ya
Tony

Tony,

Forgive my ignorance and newbieness :) but what was this in response to? I checked out the link you provided and couldn't decipher much.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts