Local Channels in HD

dembinskij

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Grove, OK (Tulsa, OK DMA)
I was wondering when Dish is planning to add PBS, CW, and MNT to the local markets in HD? I was looking at Directv and seen in my market (Tulsa, OK) that they offer 2 PBS's, CW, and MNT in HD can Dish catch up on these sooner than later. I noticed many of the smaller markets with Dish already have at least PBS in HD and some have CW HD.

It may be in the long-term business plan, but probably not anytime soon since now they have to uplink a number of PBS locals in HD as per agreement. So there goes that bandwidth. I think they have 2 sat launches over the next 2 years and, I think, that will provide them with what they need to add all RSN HD 24/7 and additional HD locals, but the PBS thing messed-up their business plan, so it changes again.

Dish is required to have all the locals in HD in markets that they carry HD by 2013. They have a roll out required by the FCC of meeting a certain % of carried markets by certain dates. They have the capacity for quite a few markets to be covered, but they appear to be slow in doing the roll out. DIRECTV seems to be much more agressive on this front.

Was wondering about the progress in getting PBS HD locals. In my case, that would be KQED in SF. Up thread DishSubLA said that Dish was going to be required to carry those HD locals. Anyone have a timetable? Other than "soon," of course. ;)

As far as KQED is concerned, soon is as close as you're going to get. Luckily, I'm a little bit south of you and I get it with my CM 4228 antenna.

In Healdsburg, OTA's are pretty much a pipe dream, with the possible exception of KRCB. But getting that one channel in OTA HD isn't worth me buying an antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)