local channels only

aarona1983

Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I am wondering if it possible just to get the local channels without a package? If so, would the public interest channels be available too?

This is for grandma and she never watches TV, except for the news and Wheel of Fortune. She is in a very rural area and is not able to receive all the OTA channels.

Thanks,

There is a package. It is only available as a free for all promotion. I don't recall what it is called. It includes all locals available within a dma & a couple of others. It is similar to the family package but smaller and is only available as "free for all". I work for a retailer and will check out the details and post them for you in the next day or so unless someone beats me to it.

There is a package called the "Welcome Pack" for $9.99. You can also get locals only for $9.99. Welcome pack can be combined with locals for $14.99 a month. This is only available as "free for all". $149.99 for 1 TV or 199.99 for 2 TV, no monthly credits are allowed for this promotion. I do not have a channel list for the Welcome Package, boss said he would email me one in the next day or so. He did say it was real similar to the family package, but with a few less channels. This package is something that was born in light of the digital transition, it is something that is not advertised on dish's website. There is no sales commissions with selling this package or very low. I would personally sell this package(for referrals), I do see a legitimate market for this type of programming. Call Dish or a retailer to find out more about this unadvertised package called the "Welcome Package".

$9.99 Welcome Pack (Without Locals)
$9.99 Locals Only
$14.99 Locals WITH Welcome Pack
$14.99 Family Pack (Without Locals) <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>
$19.99 Family Pack WITH Locals <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>

Want some movies for cheap to add in addition to this? Encore Package (True, Love, Mystery, Action, Westerns, Encore West) for $4.99 per month.

$9.99 Welcome Pack (Without Locals)
$9.99 Locals Only
$14.99 Locals WITH Welcome Pack
$14.99 Family Pack (Without Locals) <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>
$19.99 Family Pack WITH Locals <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>

Want some movies for cheap to add in addition to this? Encore Package (True, Love, Mystery, Action, Westerns, Encore West) for $4.99 per month.

Right now I subscribe to the everything pack. I'm changing to D* but would like to keep the 722 for locals and the external hard drive. Looks like I can keep it active for $9.99 plus the DVR fee.

Yes, I just cancelled, but I subscribed to the 9.99 locals pack. All you get are locals, plus anything free (shopping channels, free previews, PI channels).

The cost will be 9.99 plus the 5.98 DVR fee, plus, be aware that since it's not a "minimum package", if you don't own your equipment, you'll be charged a lease fee as well.

Check with DISH to see if the Welcome Pak is available with leased receivers. Free For All is a purchase plan not a lease plan.

So welcome pack with Locals at $14.99 + 5.98 DVR fee,and $5 Lease fee on a 625 receiver=$25.97
Not that bad. Dish Family sucks and that over $30 for the same setup.

But Still I would skip over all of that and Go with the Top 100 DVR atvantage For $39.99,That includes locals and DVR fee. and you don't pay a lease fee on your first receiver,and a 625 does 2 rooms DVR.

I'm changing to D* but would like to keep the 722 for locals and the external hard drive.
I'm pretty sure you would be better off subscribing to TurboHD Bronze (24 HD channels) with locals as the ViP722 requires an HD subscription. Total price is $34.97/month.

Note that it would be similar if you were going the other way except you get only eight HD channels with the Family HD subscription.

IF all grandma watches is local tv then why even get a dvr? Just get a regular sat receiver and avoid the dvr fee entirely. My aunt is set up on my third account with DISH with a 501 dvr I bought online and that has no fee. SHe has the following :

$14.99 - welcome pack +locals
$ 4.99 - encore pack
------------------------------------------
$ 19.98 - before tax

IF all grandma watches is local tv then why even get a dvr? Just get a regular sat receiver and avoid the dvr fee entirely. My aunt is set up on my third account with DISH with a 501 dvr I bought online and that has no fee. SHe has the following :

$14.99 - welcome pack +locals
$ 4.99 - encore pack
------------------------------------------
$ 19.98 - before tax
Yes But you still have to buy your own equipment. ,Unless you already own some equipment.

Right now I subscribe to the everything pack. I'm changing to D* but would like to keep the 722 for locals and the external hard drive. Looks like I can keep it active for $9.99 plus the DVR fee.

The 722 will cost you more because they will want to charge you an HD enabling fee unless you order an HD package. If you do not keep your phone line plugged in then it is another $5 or $7 on top of that. Don't they charge a lease fee of $7 or does that not apply to the first receiver on the account?

The 722 will cost you more because they will want to charge you an HD enabling fee unless you order an HD package. If you do not keep your phone line plugged in then it is another $5 or $7 on top of that. Don't they charge a lease fee of $7 or does that not apply to the first receiver on the account?

I own the 722, so no leasing fee. All I really want is to use it for locals, but it sounds like I'll need to subscribe to at least the basic HD package for Alaska as well. The lack of HD for Alaska is why I'm switching, but I'd like to keep the 722 active. Sounds like locals 9.99, HD 9.99, DVR 5.98.

Yes, but what HD package IS available for $10? :confused:
There is a $10 HD pack But its only available with Top 100 pack or higher. This allow you to receive the HD versions of your SD channels if available in HD.
Top 100 with $10 pack is call HD Bronze
Top 200 pack with $10 pack is called HD Silver
Top 250 Pack with $10 pack is called HD gold
Add the other $10 pack for a total of $20 is HD platinum, This gives you 7 more HD channels, NHL,WFN,NBA,HD Net movies,Universal HD,MGM, Smithsonian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)