Local Channels OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
As most people know that have read my recent posts.. I was a V* customer and now after a delayed install I am going to be a D* customer this friday once again.

ALL of my local channels were coming in... this was true on both the V* box and the D* box (HTLHD) When I switched the plug from one to the other. Voom showed up on tuesday to take both V* boxes(1 in Family Room, 1 in sons room) and now I can only get about half of my locals OTA. (they didn't touch the dish or OTA Ant.)

The only thing I can figure out is the 2nd V* Box is gone from the circuit(sons room).. The only box I have hooked up until D* installs is the HTLHD. Does the OTA Antenna get voltage from multiple boxes which might make it higher powered?

If this is the only case then cool when D* Installs there will be 4 boxes plugged into the antenna and might even pick up more solid signals on some of the channels.

So basically it was 2 V* boxes hooked up to the OTA Antenna, and the signal was also perfect with 1 V* Box and the HTLHD Box. Now with just the HTLHD the OTA's aren't coming in strong and some don't even pick up.

Hope my question was worded right and not too confusing. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.

My OTA antenna is a Winegard amplified Sensar II. It pulls its power from the reciever.

Sorry I had posted which it was in a previous thread and forgot to post it in this one.

Your Wineguard Sensar II was receiving power from your Voom box. Now it isnt receiving any power. You need to add a pre-amp.

Where do I get a preamp? I have a preamp that plugs into a coax signal but its a line booster I believe. What do I need exactly?

Alvarez said:
Where do I get a preamp? I have a preamp that plugs into a coax signal but its a line booster I believe. What do I need exactly?

A lot of people like the Channel Master 7777 preamp.

Since that antenna is an amplified antenna, wouldn't he be better off just getting the proper power injector, and letting the antenna work the way it's supposed to? I would think that there'd be a good chance that the output of an amplified antenna that didn't have power wouldn't be as good as one of a non-amplified antenna. A separate pre-amp may not have as good of a signal to work with.

Darin said:
Since that antenna is an amplified antenna, wouldn't he be better off just getting the proper power injector, and letting the antenna work the way it's supposed to? I would think that there'd be a good chance that the output of an amplified antenna that didn't have power wouldn't be as good as one of a non-amplified antenna. A separate pre-amp may not have as good of a signal to work with.

**I could be wrong, but I believe that Voom was giving its customers the non-amplified version of the Sensor II antennas and the power was coming from the box.

The antenna says "Amplified" on it and I have another Sensar(OLD) that says non-amplified and ES5348 or something.

You made alot of sense because when I tested my D* box the antenna was being powered by my sons V* receiver.

I got this information from http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052&highlight=installation+equipment

Which Antenna should I expect to get. Is there an upgraded Antenna?

Initially VOOM provided the ChannelMaster Stealth Antenna. This is a highly directional antenna which resembles a stealth bomber, hence the name. When the Stealth is used the installer must install the amplifier board (model # 3038) directly into the antenna. Recently installers have been issued Winegard Sensar II antennas. This antenna has an internal power board already present but is shipped to the installers without the in line power supply and requires a diplexer to receive power from the STB. Both have a range of approx. 45 miles UHF and 30 miles VHF when properly installed. Go to www.antennaweb.org and select DIGITAL ONLY to get all live digital OTA stations for your location, miles, direction from you and type of band (UHF or VHF). It will be good to find at what power your OTA stations are transmitting. If the OTA stations are more than 45 miles from your location, these anntennas may not work. At this point contact Voom and ask them to allow the installer to upgrade your OTA antenna.

Alvarez your HTL-HD should be able to power the Sensar 2000. You will need a power passing diplexer on both legs you should have it on the wiring for your sons Voom. The inside diplexr should be power passing on one leg and the outside should be power passing on both legs.

boba said:
Alvarez your HTL-HD should be able to power the Sensar 2000. You will need a power passing diplexer on both legs you should have it on the wiring for your sons Voom. The inside diplexr should be power passing on one leg and the outside should be power passing on both legs.

So tomorrow when they install my sons D* box combined the HTLHD (already installed) and the other 2-3 receivers should power this antenna?

boba said:

Ok I have a Diplexer on both ends one at the satellite receiver splitting the ANT/SAT signal... and an identical one outside splittling the satellite signal and the OTA antenna....

It still isn't powering it so I think I made a mistake on the power passing on both legs part... what is the difference?

I would almost bet if I switch the outside diplexer with this winegard sat/ota antenna multiswitch it will be my best possibility of working even thought the DTV guy said to use these identical diplexers at both legs...

boba said:

This was exactly the problem... I was using an Identical Diplexer on both legs and this didn't power the antenna... put the winegard multiswitch off air mixer on the leg by the antenna and problem solved

All my locals come in now through OTA antenna. (D* locals are pretty nice too just no HD)

If I was getting OTA locals and they worked flawlessly, I sure wouldn't be paying extra to get them from Directv too. I would think the HD would be better than Direct even though you said you were not getting any HD.

Lem52

Lem52 said:
If I was getting OTA locals and they worked flawlessly, I sure wouldn't be paying extra to get them from Directv too. I would think the HD would be better than Direct even though you said you were not getting any HD.

Lem52

The D* locals come in for free with the 4 for free package for new signup's. so they are there but I never watch them except channel 4... it comes in better quality thru d* because its not HD anyways and its digital channel has a tendency to lock up every now and then.

And I said the D* locals weren't HD... not my OTA locals... they are HD definetely

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts