Local Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

texaslegand

Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
texas
not sure if this violates no hack talk but i'm going to ask anyway. i am sure, however, if it does the mods will pull it down.

i live in an area where i don't have access to local channels (i didn't know such places still existed until i moved). i have a second home that i own and have been renting for a couple of years.

Can I use my rent house address as the installation address, set the receiver (an older hughes DirecTv Tivo) to dial that market for updates/registration and get "local" channels from that market? Frankly, i don't care what market the "local" channels come from I just want to be able to watch CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC.

The zip for my rental house is 77802 and I currently live in zip 76849.

If I can defend myself its to DirecTv's advantage for me to try and figure this out. If I can't they will have one less paying subscriber....I'll just have to go to cable or Verizon FIOS.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't know if it matters but i just moved from 78258 to 76849 and I was still getting 78258 local channels until Tivo dialed into the service and updated my market. I do have friends in 78258 that would let me use their address as the installation address if that would be easier.

what is my risk exposure if i can accomplish this? service calls would send tech to the wrong address? if i have to make a service call could i change the install address for the call then change it back once the problem was solved?

Not sure if you want your particular locals that you are familiar with or if you just want to be able to watch programs on ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox. If that's all you want, you might qualify legally for the DNS channels which are the above mentioned networks from either the east or west coast. You have to be at least 70 miles from the nearest TV towers that broadcast local channels. Here is a link to more info about this: DIRECTV - Other Local Channel Options

Folks with different service and billing addresses are pretty common. "moving" might be a good search term to use.

Good Luck

If you can install your own equipment, no problem. If you need professional installation, start with the actual address, then within a short amount of time, call D* and change your service or "installation" addrerss to the one you want. Maintain your current phone number and billing address. Happens all the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts