Local channels

kozmo104

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Flint Michigan area
Kinda funny big accident down the road from my house. And I had to find out about via Facebook. Local channels didn't say anything because my local channels are detroit 75 miles from me. Where my local channels should be flint which are 40 miles from me. Hmm thank you dish. ..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Locals are decided by FCC, which takes the recommendations from Nielsen Media. Not a dish decision. Should be "thank you federal govt for sticking your nose where it don't belong"

Reactions: jbrelish and Bobby
Actually, the Feds only got involved because the locals were raising hell. I think I should be able to buy any or all sets of locals I want, since I'm paying for them. But, according to local affiliates, that kills their advertising value.

Reactions: TheKrell
I understand that, and know it's true. However it is not their place. That is the business the affililiate for into, they eat the cost of business. Not whine how it is not fair if they do not produce a product their local area wants. Think about if the government stepped in and said walmart could only sell stuff so cheap, so local grocery stores didn't have to compete with that large of a company and losing revenue. Can tax the hell out of them, but even then the consumer is the only one who loses.

Here is my question. If "locals" are determined by the FCC why in my DMA (Jonesboro, AR) does Dish have Memphis locals and Direct have Paducah, KY locals (except for ABC & PBS which are the only two in Jonesboro)? Wouldn't the FCC use one or the other for both?

It's determined by the FCC. The law side of it, but the actual deciding factor is the Nielsen Media co. They are the ones that determine the boundaries for each DMA.

I truly hate their b******* and moaning. In my opinion, the minute you charge retransmission fees, you give up your right to argue about advertising revenue. You can't have it every way you want.

Yeah, I really wish the Aereo decision had been different. I could have been able to get my Pittsburgh locals using my parents' address and a proxy. :)

Here is my question. If "locals" are determined by the FCC why in my DMA (Jonesboro, AR) does Dish have Memphis locals and Direct have Paducah, KY locals (except for ABC & PBS which are the only two in Jonesboro)? Wouldn't the FCC use one or the other for both?
The carrier is given a choice from the market boundaries for the last few years. Adjusting spot beam coverage wasn't practical until recently so the FCC had to give them some leeway if the DMA boundaries changed and the spot beam wouldn't cover the new boundaries.

In some of these cases customers have been moved from HD LIL to SD LIL markets.

I truly hate their b******* and moaning. In my opinion, the minute you charge retransmission fees, you give up your right to argue about advertising revenue. You can't have it every way you want.

I agree. If you want to say "you had to carry me, because of the ad revenue" then at the same time you become a must carry and cannot charge. If you charge for your retrans rights, then you are subject to the same market any other company is. They found a way to have their cake, and eat it, while getting another cake made for them for free. And it's complete bs. That all said, to answer the OP, it is not dish's fault. They offered distant networks all the way up to a lawsuit. Then partnered with a company(all American direct) to offer distant locals again. And now, because of the politics played, you the consumer and even dish, the business, all suffer so these jack wagons can stay afloat, without being forced to give the customer what they want.

Is it possible you're at the far end of a county from Detroit? Local channels are assigned by county. So if the county you're in is part of the Detroit market (Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Sanilac, Washtenaw, Wayne), that's the channels you are supposed to get. However, if you're in Arenac, Bay, Genesee, Gladwin, Gratiot, Huron, Iosco, Isabella, Midland, Ogemaw, Saginaw, Shiawassee, or Tuscola county, you should be getting the Flint locals. If that's the case, contact Dish.

Is it possible you're at the far end of a county from Detroit? Local channels are assigned by county. So if the county you're in is part of the Detroit market (Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Sanilac, Washtenaw, Wayne), that's the channels you are supposed to get. However, if you're in Arenac, Bay, Genesee, Gladwin, Gratiot, Huron, Iosco, Isabella, Midland, Ogemaw, Saginaw, Shiawassee, or Tuscola county, you should be getting the Flint locals. If that's the case, contact Dish.
Not always entire counties. It is selected by Zip Code. For this OP:

http://www.truckads.com/Affiliate/Detroit.htm#map

Not always entire counties. It is selected by Zip Code. For this OP:

http://www.truckads.com/Affiliate/Detroit.htm#map
Under the maps on those links is a list of counties in each DMA. The counties aren't shared between Flint & Detroit. Look at Saginaw county. It's listed in the Flint DMA, but not the Detroit. However the map for Detroit shows 1/2 of the county part of the Detroit DMA.

Not always entire counties. It is selected by Zip Code.
I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. If you live in a split Zip, it will ask you for a county.

Television Market Areas may divide counties but DMAs do not. IIRC, DMAs are the divisions used in DBS LIL determination.

DMAs are also interesting in that they aren't necessarily contiguous. Oregon has a DMA that covers both the West and part of the East but not the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_...nited_States_Designated_Market_Areas_2013.svg

Under the maps on those links is a list of counties in each DMA. The counties aren't shared between Flint & Detroit. Look at Saginaw county. It's listed in the Flint DMA, but not the Detroit. However the map for Detroit shows 1/2 of the county part of the Detroit DMA.
DMA boundaries aren't determined by perfectly round circles. They generally (if not exclusively) follow county boundaries. See the map I linked to in my previous post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts