Any Reception on a TV without a Receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DLCPhoto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I am exploring a possible switch from TWC to Dish. The Hopper is the main appeal. We have 3 TV's in primary use, and would probably go with 1 Hopper, 1 Super Joey, and 1 Joey. This would replace the 3 DVR's we currently use and give us great flexibility in recording and watching.

We currently have 2 additional TV's which do not have a TWC box of any type. We have the TWC Cable plugged directly into these TV's, and the TV's digital tuners are able to access locally available channels, which is all they really need. These 2 TV's are not used enough to justify their own receivers and monthly charge.

What happens if the Dish cable is plugged directly into these TV's, without a Hopper/Joey/SuperJoey? Will they be able to similarly get local channels, as I do with the TWC cable, or will those TV's be dead in the water?

The Dish people explained that we could 'mirror' from one of the other Dish receivers to get reception on those, but this is impractical because of the physical location of the TV's. We'd have to go upstairs to change channels, etc.

If I can't get any reception, my other option is to run cable from our roof-top antenna to these 2 TV's, although because different channels benefit from different rotor direction, this is also less desirable.

Information appreciated, or suggestions on how I can get some use out of those 2 TV's without incurring any extra cost, would be appreciated as well.

Don

Edit: Just realized I should have posted in the general Dish section, rather than the Hopper Zone. Did this because this is the main one I've been reading to learn more about the Hopper. Mods, feel free to move, as I don't see any way to do it myself.

Direct connect - nada.

UHF remotes might keep you on the couch.

Yep, mirroring is commonly done. You don't even need wires. HDMI wireless transmitters and receivers are available. Not too expensive, especially if you go with an old composite RCA SD rig.

BTW, there are ways of putting up a second OTA antenna and pointing each at the stations you want, and feeding a common cable.

Direct connect - nada.

UHF remotes might keep you on the couch.

Yep, mirroring is commonly done. You don't even need wires. HDMI wireless transmitters and receivers are available. Not too expensive, especially if you go with an old composite RCA SD rig.

BTW, there are ways of putting up a second OTA antenna and pointing each at the stations you want, and feeding a common cable.

Thanks for the quick response. Bummer about the direct connect, but that's what I was expecting to hear.

Could you provide some info/links on the UHF remotes - what products, provided by DISH, special setup? Just how would this work?

I guess I need to read up on exactly how Mirroring is set up and functions. The 2 TV's in question have COAX access, so I'd think no additional hardware would be needed?

All hopper/Joey remotes are 40.0 UHF2 technology. Depending on how far away those rooms ade(not likely for most installs) for them not to work. Unfortunately, the hopper has no coaxial output so a straight run, like the duo receivers had, is not available for mirroring. I would suggest doing the OTA idea as mentioned, and with the right retailer, can probably get it done pretty easily.

Well, the Hopper is wireless until you turn on the IR function. So you're already set there. If distance becomes a problem, there are repeaters.

Mirroring is covered extensively elsewhere on this site, and by people better qualified than I. But basically, you will hook a modulator up to the Hopper with coax out, leading to the other TVs. How your place is wired will drive the details. But one channel only- whatever the Hopper is watching.

Of course, there are also wireless Joeys. But your monthly bill would go up.

Reactions: ChadT41
Thanks for the response, ChadT41. I suspect you're right that the OTA option might prove the most workable. Dual antennae is an interesting thought, but not sure it's worth the hassle. Want to keep things as simple as possible.

But since I'm in the learning phase, I'd like to understand all my options. Doing a little reading on mirroring now, and it appears that just running Coax would be SD only, no HD, and that's not acceptable. How would I connect the TV's to maintain HD?

Running an HDMI cable to these 2 TV's is possible I guess - would have to run cable under the crawl space and up into the 2 rooms with these TV's. Not my first choice.

Am reading now about wireless options; good links to options appreciated.

BTW, what a great forum - I've learned tons in a day or two of browsing, and the response time to my questions is quite impressive!

Don

It truly is a great place. I thought I knew everything about the hopper. Then found this forum, and realized, I'm a moron. Some of these guys have been doing this for longer then I have been alive and my hats off to them. And to Scott for making it all possible. Honestly, if I could afford the extra money to donate to the site, I would, just to be a part of keeping it running. That's how useful I have found it. And I usually only play in the dish section. Think how many different forums there are. Genius. And informative.

Reactions: DLCPhoto
Looks like my link didn't post.

You can search on Amazon for
Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit.

$129.99 for receiver and transmitter.

Reasonable reviews.

Keep in mind the 5 GHz band has less interference, but the 2 GHz band travels further.

And some use your wi-fi, some communicate directly.

Looks like my link didn't post.

You can search on Amazon for
Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit.

$129.99 for receiver and transmitter.

Reasonable reviews.
Looks PDG to me.

I especially like that you can have multiple receivers.

Looks like the Actiontec device is 5GHz. My Linksys E4200 has both bands, and the distance difference is definitely noticeable. One TV is close enough that it should be fine; the other I'm not so sure...

The added receiver is only $5 less than the kit! Pretty strange. Guess Amazon is discounting the kit tremendously, the added receiver not so much...

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts