Local Commercials, How do they do that?

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
OK, so I am watching MSNBC and during the commercial break they show a couple of national commercials followed by a local commercial for a small furniture store right down the street from me in Moore OK. That gets me thinking, how do they do that?

I mean show a commercial customized for each local geographic location. I never see commercials for a furniture store in Seattle Wa, or Lexington KY ...., just stores here in my area.
MSNBC is on a CONUS beam right? So here are my specific questions.

1. Who does the furniture store contact to pay for advertising, MSNBC or E* ???

2. How does E* push that commercial out over a CONUS beam and it only gets received in the correct local geographical area?

3. If they can do that, then why the heck can't they do that with local
weather, send out local weather stats and radar images?

do you have a dvr? maybe they send it out at night and store it on the harddrive , and send a signal for the dvr to play it

I can explain it to you but it is not a simple process. Rather one with lots of options depending on the ad package and the MSO's involved.

Here goes-

A TV program, say a 30 minute commercial show is actually standardized to a 28:30 run time. This allows at least some ad time between two shows plus the channel ID and MSO ads. The 28:30 show itself is often divided up into segments separated by "commercial breaks" with several 30 to 60 second spots.

These spot breaks have a number of different options as follows-
1. Spots that are part of the main show, like an infomercial with repeated 30 second "calls to action"
2. A national spot that has nothing to do with the show, likie a Ford commercial, inside a fishing lure infomercial.
3. A local spot that is inserted locally for a local business.

In a simple sense this about coveres the categories. Now here is how it is done-

The show airs and the first break comes up and the show spot airs first because it is embedded into the tape of the show. But the next spot that in the break when the show originates from say DirecTV, will have a national promotion for DirecTV. Depending on how the spot is sold, it can air on all shows including when that show airs on Dish Network, Comcast etc,, or be restricted to just a target of DirecTV airing. If the national spot is a restricted national, there is always a backup national embedded that can run too. I have done these in this format but have never done multiple restricted nationals in a show. It is possible but I'm sure the billing would be difficult.
Now while the local spot time comes up the show often will have a place marker. While btroadcast networks adhere to traditional standards for these MSO's all seem to operate different in that I have seen a cue sheet required that permitted a MSO to expand or shrink a show with the breaks and local inserts. Local broadcast and networks mostly stick to a standard and do not do that.

Now here's how the MSO national feeder NBC or even Comcast will work the local spot insert-
When the show runs and the time for the local comes up, a tone is sent from the network to the cable or dbs company that triggers a local server or head end carte machine to insert the spot. In most cases cable inserts are sold on a broad scale random insert and are documented as to what was inserted using an FCC regulated affidavit report at the end of the month. If you buy time for local inserts of your spot, you will buy it from cable as a package, like 100 30's per week inserted into all local designated slots on a channel package like-
CNN History channel, MSNBC, FNN, Discovery, etc. You get no choice as to when and what show it will insert to. You won't even know until the affidavit is released and then tghat affidavit will give you how your 100 spot budgetr was spent. You can buy these packages direct from Cable or from the MSO but if you want to guarantee a specific insertion the MSO will usually send you to the show producer directly.

Presently, I do not accept other spot inserts in my shows but we do make available rotation inserts to other channels, like History
MSNBC CNN etc. I have no idea when one of my spots will air in your cable system's CNN channel. Cities I currently sell rotation inserts to are Richmond, VA, Norfolk, VA, Florida and Savannah GA. but not NYC, or others. If you have cable in these markets, and watch "CNN or TNT etc. no doubt you have seen my work.

I saw the same thing on MSNBC recently (i watch A LOT of MSNBC). I thought it was weird that a local furniture store in Austin was advertising on MSBNC, and couldn't figure out how it was done either.

Thanks Don, for the insight.

It's done every morning on "The Today Show". Al Roker gives the national weather report then he says "Here's whats happening in your neck of the woods" and the local weather guy appears giving a brief report. I've always wondered how that was done too.

It's done every morning on "The Today Show". Al Roker gives the national weather report then he says "Here's whats happening in your neck of the woods" and the local weather guy appears giving a brief report. I've always wondered how that was done too.

That is a local channel. Totally different.

so the original question remains, how could a national channel that's uplinked from one place, pulled down from the same satellite and transponder by every subscriber, have local commercials inserted? I tend to think the person who thought they were seeing this was mistaken.

I've seen it too

NO, I don't think the original poster is mistaken. I've seen it too, but I think I saw it on CNN instead of MSNBC. I'm in NY and have seen local ads on cnn or msnbc.

I saw one today too. I don't have locals in my subscription, so it certainly wasn't pulled from a local channel.

My theory is that they have these commercials airing on otherwise unused bandwidth on special channels dedicated to this purpose, sort of like the locals. For example, I live in the Tampa market, when MSNBC or CNN, or History or whatever is ready for one of these commercials, for me in Tampa it pulls from one of these dedicated channels and displays my ad. Somebody in NYC might get an add pulled from another dedicated ad bandwidth source, or they might just get a generic Dish ad during the Dish ad time for that channel if nothing was sold to a local advertiser. I am sure Dish makes a lot more money selling locals that get to local people than they do selling national ad space for The Clapper.

This has got to be a premature April fool's joke. If E* is inserting local ads into national feeds then:
1. it hasn't shown up on any of the uplink reports
2. it is completely seamless and doesn't disrupt even a dvr recording

furthermore, if they were doing that then it would be a trivial thing for them to provide the national HD network feed of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX in all markets and insert the local content where appropriate.

If there are "local" ads showing up on MSNBC on dish, I would bet money that the same "local" ads are viewable by any dish subscriber anywhere.

This has got to be a premature April fool's joke. If E* is inserting local ads into national feeds then:

furthermore, if they were doing that then it would be a trivial thing for them to provide the national HD network feed of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX in all markets and insert the local content where appropriate.

If there are "local" ads showing up on MSNBC on dish, I would bet money that the same "local" ads are viewable by any dish subscriber anywhere.

Not so sure about your last sentence. I have yet to see a 'local' commercial (think discount furniture store in a tin shed) for another city on MSNBC, but have seen one or two for my city. Yet i have no real idea how this would be possible - the concept hurts my head.

They must be doing it, because I have seen a couple. Cable has been doing it for years and they now have it down to the neighborhoods. You could be watching CNN in one neighborhood of the city and get an add for Acme Tire Shop while three miles away they are getting an ad for Pat's Hair Joint.

Obviously it is more technical pushing it over Dish with the nationwide customers, and that is why I think they must be pulling the local ads from another channel and not uploading the channel with the ad in it already.

By the way , when I saw one of the ads it was on History HD. I can't remember now what it was but it was a local brick and mortar establishment.

I wonder if E* can send a signal to the receiver(211 in my case) to temporarily remap (MSNBC in this case) to a local channel (my local NBC station) for 30 seconds and then delete the remap?

That way the local ad running on my NBC affiliate would show up as a 30 second ad on MSNBC.

Just thinking out loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts