Local Dish retailer says new Hopper OTA adapter to be released January 24

I don't expect them to go that far, but it does give a baseline to increase when retrans fees increase. They may not be able to disclose how much the local CBS affiliate actually costs, but if the local fee goes from $10 to $10.25 after negotiations, folks will start to learn.

I personally wish it was something like a $5 "access" fee plus an additional line item for each station with the actual retrans cost, but contracts probably don't allow that kind of disclosure. The other problem is the cost shifting that would happen to hide costs. Disney could charge less per sub for ABC O&Os, but ESPN gets and additional $0.05 for everyone.

It's all mental masturbation at this point. Dish has made a first move to give themselves some options, they may not even know how they will use them.
What I find Fascinating is you all Failed to mention that $10 more than likely also has Dish profit embedded into it.

If Dish is charging $10 you can bet your bottom dollar even the NY market probably doesn't even cost Dish more then $8.

Just remember ESPN cost almost as Much by its self then all the locals in Each 210 DMAs by Charlie's $10 standard.
The locals have by Far more content than most channels that cost twice as much.

$10 is a Value IMO for whats offered especially when OTA isn't an option at all.
If you can get them for Free, Great,
But Charlie needs to point the Finger in other areas as well about out of control programming costs.

ESPN need to be Al la carte.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
What I find Fascinating is you all Failed to mention that $10 more than likely also has Dish profit embedded into it.

If Dish is charging $10 you can bet your bottom dollar even the NY market probably doesn't even cost Dish more then $8.

Just remember ESPN cost almost as Much by its self then all the locals in Each 210 DMAs by Charlie's $10 standard.
The locals have by Far more content than most channels that cost twice as much.

$10 is a Value IMO for whats offered especially when OTA isn't an option at all.
If you can get them for Free, Great,
But Charlie needs to point the Finger in other areas as well about out of control programming costs.

ESPN need to be Al la carte.
I agree with ESPN needing to be Ala carte. I also think all sports need to be ala carte, just like Premium movie packs are ala carte. Of course the only pack that comes close to this is the Flex pack and the add on packs. I am surprised that DISH found a way to accomplish it in the first place, but happy that they did.

I agree with ESPN needing to be Ala carte. I also think all sports need to be ala carte, just like Premium movie packs are ala carte. Of course the only pack that comes close to this is the Flex pack and the add on packs. I am surprised that DISH found a way to accomplish it in the first place, but happy that they did.
Agree, Locals IMO are not the problem why our bills are out of control.
Sports channels and even RSNs which again was already brought up, Clearly RSN cost more money.
The 120 and 120 Plus pack would be the same price otherwise.

And since RSN can't be removed from TOP 200 and 250, tells me they are definitely costing money, as well as making money.

ESPN not being a la carte is not necessarily Charlie's fault. Disney doesn't want that to happen

Charlie comes from the C-Band era, I'm sure he'd be happy to sell us every channel on an individual basis for $5 each like they used to if he could

ESPN not being a la carte is not necessarily Charlie's fault. Disney doesn't want that to happen

Charlie comes from the C-Band era, I'm sure he'd be happy to sell us every channel on an individual basis for $5 each like they used to if he could
You can't cry Wolf in one area and yet not do the same where the expenses really are out of control.

What stopping him from showing us an uncheckable box with the Disney ESPN suite?
That box would probably say $30

No, Don't buy that.
You show me where the Local networks stated to Dish that they can show a $10 Uncheckable box.
You said what's keeping Dish from showing a line item for ESPN, which is one single channel

Dish is not showing a line item for every individual local channel, and it's the same nationally. That is a huge difference from listing a price for every channel separately

You said what's keeping Dish from showing a line item for ESPN, which is one single channel

Dish is not showing a line item for every individual local channel, and it's the same nationally. That is a huge difference from listing a price for every channel separately
No I didn't.
Screenshot_20170124-144101.png

Okay, I stand corrected. It's still likely that revealing what Disney is charging for their whole suite of channels specifically would be a contract violation. No company owns every local station in a given market.

Okay, I stand corrected. It's still likely that revealing what Disney is charging for their whole suite of channels specifically would be a contract violation. No company owns every local station in a given market.
Exactly, so IMO that $10 locals breakdown is BS.

To most people this is Obvious.
To the members that post excuse after excuse its clearly not.
Like I said, my pipe dream would be an access fee (that would include Dish's take) and then the itemized locals true cost, but there are sooooo many things to muddy the waters it could never happen.

Last edited:
It is still true that if you use the OTA adapter with Hopper 3 and cancel your local channels through DISH, you won't get the guide anymore? Sorry if I missed this discussion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)