Local HD problems

Raptorman01

Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I've had TimeWarner for about a year now, and when I first got my HD programming it was great. Then my HD Fox channel quit working (924 here) and shortly after that my HD ABC quit working. I've had the techs out here numerous times, and even ran the wire directly from my box outside instead of through the wall.
The only thing these techs tell me is that the wire is bad, and there's nothing they can do.
My two HD channels will come in for various amounts of time up to 30 seconds, and then they will cut out, and come back in. Obviously, the signal is coming and going. I'm tired of dealing with the TW techs.
If I were to get a signal amp would that bring in my two HD channels that I want to watch (mainly because I like NASCAR, and it's on FOX and ABC a lot. Before it goes any other channel I happen to get I will have been deployed to Iraq again).
Ideas?

I have also noticed that the QAM SNR bounces between 0 and 34 on the first QAM 256 Tuner State.

This is how it looks:
Tuner State: QAM 256 QAM 256
QAM SNR: 0 32
QAM BER: 6.6727x10-5 3.211x10-4

When the QAM SNR that reads zero goes to 30+ I get a signal, but it only stays there for a few seconds and bounces back down to 0 and I lose the signal. I tried the amp also, and that didn't work.

The problem could be your local stations. Many of them do not seem to be broadcasting at full power. Could be that low power and inclement weather are screwing up the signal being received by the cable company.

The problem could be your local stations. Many of them do not seem to be broadcasting at full power. Could be that low power and inclement weather are screwing up the signal being received by the cable company.

I bet you a smoothie that your indeed correct. I'm about 99% sure that the cable company is losing that OTA signal from most likely bad weather. If its a major network station I believe its about time that station built a fiber feed to the cable company.

As his signal is going to 0 on his QAM, that isnt the station at low power. He stated the TW techs said the wire was bad - they need to replace it as it appears as its shorting out (now that could be because of the bad weather).

As his signal is going to 0 on his QAM, that isnt the station at low power. He stated the TW techs said the wire was bad - they need to replace it as it appears as its shorting out (now that could be because of the bad weather).

Wow I can't believe I missed the zero for the QAM signal lol. Yeah now armed with that information I'm sure that the wiring somewhere in the home or just outside your home is bad and/or damaged.

I'm sure that a wire somewhere is damaged, and I know it's outside of my apartment (I've ran the wire straight from the STB to the outside link, and it still doesn't work). However, Time Warner still refuses to fix the wire problem. They told me since it's out there they don't know where the problem is, that I'm the only one with a problem with HD, and since I'm the only one they aren't going to spend the money to fix it. That's the kind of service I get from them.
I would, without a doubt, switch to satellite if I didn't live in an apartment, but since I do my only option for TV is TimeWarner.
I just hate paying for a service I'm not receiving, and the only thing I want to do is watch NASCAR in high-def before I have to leave on my next deployment overseas.

I'm sure that a wire somewhere is damaged, and I know it's outside of my apartment (I've ran the wire straight from the STB to the outside link, and it still doesn't work). However, Time Warner still refuses to fix the wire problem. They told me since it's out there they don't know where the problem is, that I'm the only one with a problem with HD, and since I'm the only one they aren't going to spend the money to fix it. That's the kind of service I get from them.
I would, without a doubt, switch to satellite if I didn't live in an apartment, but since I do my only option for TV is TimeWarner.
I just hate paying for a service I'm not receiving, and the only thing I want to do is watch NASCAR in high-def before I have to leave on my next deployment overseas.

I would suggest calling TWC and telling them your going to call your local franchise department if they don't find the problem and fix it. Your not getting the service your paying for and its because of a signal issue at TWC's end and as such they should fix it. Honestly I'd try the BBB and your local franchise at the sametime if TWC doesn't fix it after you tell them what you will do. You would be amazed at how much pressure the local franchise can have over these types of issues.

'IF' it is indeed bad wiring and it is a major apt complex, running a new line may not be feasible...TW would rather lose you as a customer than incur the expense that would accompony the repair...'IF' it is the station it is NOT their responsibility to build fiber to the cable co...

The ONLY way(s) to tell if the line is damaged is by taking a signal reading at the tap and another at the wallplate...Or by doing a TDR (they won't)...I bet your wire is fine if it is enclosed and installed correctly to begin with...rather...some lazy ass tech's that don't...won't...or can't...do anything about it...Sorry you are having such an issue...Not ALL cable co's are bastards...

Sorry Splicer but for a customer who pays almost 200 a month if my apartment had bad wiring that would be costly to replace I'd expect it to be fixed. Even if one HD channel wasn't working I'm paying big time money for these services and I expect to get what I'm paying dearly for. If it takes a while to fix so be it but I expect the same quality of service that a customer gets for the same price in the next building. Now I'm only talking about a fix if at least one channel doesn't work "that I watch". I don't exactly go from channel to channel to find one channel that doesn't work and having that channel be one I'll never ever watch.

But I can tell ya that if either ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD weren't working you can bet your ass that I'd get them to fix it no matter the cost and no matter what I must do.

I've had many of feeder (hard/main lines) replaced at "termination" (end of the line usally 1-2 customers at most affected in apt maybe more) for being bad. A good cable company will fix any problem affecting the customer. Why? Becuase that one small problem can turn into a major problem down the road. the TWC techs that come to your house most likely know 0 about anything past the "tap" they plug you into at the apt box. They have probley not turned it over to the right department to fix it, more then likely just shining you on to get out of the job. As suggested before you call them up and give them hell. Tell them this problem must be fixed within say 3 days or your filing an offcial complaint with the BBB and the local franchise.. (expect a call back within no time from a technical supervisor) Then explain to him as kindly as possible the problems you have had, if he/she is worth his paycheck there will be a tech their same day or next day (depending on when you call) and the problem should be resolved shortly. If it winds up being a problem with the apt wiring itself, well thats not their problem. If its the feeder lines outside then they can repair or replace it. Being in an apt doesnt make it more expensive or so much "harder to do" then being in a regular housing subdivision. Unless of course it goes under the parking lot..

Oddly enough I went away for a training event, came back and my FOX HD and ABC HD were working for about a month. After that month was up the channels have now gone back to not working at all, along with a few more additional channels. I'm calling the BBB tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts