Local Milwaukee Channels Freezing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

homthtr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I have been installing Dirctv for 10 years now. All of my customers, friends, neighbors, etc are experiencing pictures freezing on only the local channels in Milwaukee. Picture either completely freezes or goes dark while the audio continues to stream perfectly. It's happening on all types of boxes and all types of dishes. Even a Single LNB dish. Does anyone know what's going on with this??? All signal strengths are in the 90+ range on all transponders. The Locals I'm refering to are the Dish locals.. ML4, ML6,ML12, etc... Not OTA Locals.

It's also Threaded at directv's site...

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaysinglethread?returnExpertiseCode=&rootPostID=10129011

Last edited:
Great!!!.... so what 800# to call for this issue? Directv has given no responce to this issue after many emails and attempts at calling.

not directv, the local uplink center.

here in pittsburgh its, the pittsburgh international teleport.

google it. it handles all the uplinks to the sats via fiber from the broadcasters in the pittsburgh area. there has to be one in your area

We are noticing low-quality picture and sound on our local channels (OTA looks better). I havn't experienced the video out problem on the milwaukee locals in a while.

I live in Malvern, AR which is in the Little Rock Ar locals area, and I had my dvr freeze up today when I was watching the Detroit pistons game. I could still here the audio but the picture was frozen. I could not change channels or turn the unit off. I did a manual reset and everything seems ok. I wonder if this is happening all over the country.

you're not the only one. Even Directv's own forum has the problems posted.... and nobody is getting an answer..

All Forums > DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting > Topic
Search Discussion Forums

Show posts from least recent to most recent Show posts from most recent to least recent Show posts as threaded
You will be notified by email of replies to this thread. [ Cancel ]

Author Subject Rating Date
bobmaberry Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
While watching our tv programs every so often the picture freezes for a few seconds. This happens on the TV in our livingroom, & also on the TV in our bedroom. HELP

Reply | Forward | Print
CAH14522 Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
I have been noticing the same problem for the past week or so. This happens on both of my RCA receivers. The screen freezes for a few seconds, no sound, and then it comes back. Also, the picture seems to get wierd a little bit too, like when there is a rain storm outside. Not sure if this is a problem with my third receiver in my son's room - or not. Any ideas?

Reply | Forward | Print
TS Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
Many of us our having the same problem call direct tv and complaine let all of us know what they tell you. other post are listed blinking screen hic cups and others read you'l be surprised so many people are having the same problem. again call and complain.

Reply | Forward | Print
CAH14522 Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
I mentioned in another (related) post that I have a tech coming out next Friday to install a couple new DVRs, so I was thinking of mentioning it to him then. Do you think they will try to stick me with a service charge for that, assuming the tech can fix the problem? Is this a locational issue (I'm in WI), or a general problem with DTV?

Reply | Forward | Print
TS Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
I would not pay for a service call if it is a broadcastig issue with direc tv it is not our fault they are having the blackout issue.but they want to keep sending techs.out. I am having 1 come out tommorow not sure for what the other 4 that were out told me it is a direct tv problem.

Reply | Forward | Print
w231house Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
We to have experienced the same picture freezing and sound also for 2-3 seconds. We have 3 receivers and it is the same on all 3. I checked this site out hoping for a fix, but see this is a very large problem that directv has. Been with directtv for over 8 years, but am getting tired of this problem and loosing the signal when it rains and snow sticks to the dish. Maybe it's time to go back to cable.

Reply | Forward | Print
jfb Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
547 Flix at 9pmest having blinks every few minutes.
-

I don't believe It. When I got through to a person at 1800directv, he acknowledged there was a problem (of course it is with "some receivers"). But he asked for channel and time and "apologized for the inconvenience".

Reply | Forward | Print
directohio Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
Having same issues on normal RCA DV10 receivers only RCA DVR80 works fine. Picture freezes and goes blank for a second then resumes. This has been happening for a couple weeks now but maybe once an hour - now it is much more often.
Trying to watch olympics now and it seems to have worsen. Happening almost every minute. Just an observation - but seems to happen during BRIGHT picture moments more.

- calling Direct TV now, will update with reply and or resolution

Reply | Forward | Print
motstock Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 10, 2006
I am calling the cable company tomorrow. Back to cable i go. Direct TV is not worth it anymore.

Reply | Forward | Print
zerebabel Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
Not so fast motstock...
I've been having the same type of problem. Tonight, trying to watch the Olympic opening I got really frustrated. 6-10 freeze-ups per hour.
So, I went to the signal strength screen on my receivers, (standard RCAs) and guess what...the 110 satellite signal (where my local channels live) was at only 80-83 percent! It was 95% when I first set up my 3 lnb dish. The 101 Satellite (most of the other channels) was at 98%. And, the 119 Satellite (HD & paratodos, I think) was at 3%. What's more my second receiver was tuned to different transponders.
So, I tuned both receivers to the same transponders, which gave maximum signal. I got the 119 sat to come up to 95%, and the 110 to 89%. Ta da! No more freeze-ups. At least not for the last 2 hours.
I'm still not happy with 89% on the 110 bird, so I will check my dish aiming, when it warms up next week. Until then, I think maybe having all receivers tuned to the same transponders, producing max signal levels, might make a difference. Worth a try, anyway.

Reply | Forward | Print
opalboy Re: Picture Freezes Feb 11, 2006
Yep Same problem here... I've been a Directv customer for 10 years (since the day it was released in Milwaukee) I have been installing systems for 10 years also. Everyone is havin the same issues. Only the Local Channels are Freezing. The Video either goes "dark" or pixelizes and the Audio continues to stream perfectly. It's happening at all my customers, neighbors, friends, systems, from single LNB Dishes to 3 LNB Dishes. All types of receivers. It's not a local problem. Seems like it an UPLINK problem. I don't know where to go from here... I'm starting not to answer my phone after doing an install....that's pretty bad as I'm concerned..... I believe in total customer service, but can't give my customer "directv's customers" an answer to why this is happening... in the mean time I'm using OTA and Cable as my backup... but I'm not going to sit here and pay for Cable and Directv.... One of them has to go.... and I hate cable!!! but....... hanging in there for now... not for long!

Reply | Forward | Print
jfb Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
zerebabel
-
How do you "tune a reciever to a particular transponder".
-
I have a d10 reciever and a 3 LNB oval dish. All i have done is adjust dish to get peak on all active transponders for the 3 satellites.
-
I though a given transponder transmitted a certain group of say 20 channels. like if the problem was 547 FLix blinking, that would be transponder 32 on satellite 101
-
So are you saying if you have more than one reciever, if you place both on the same channel, the signal stregnth will go up. That is not the case with my problem, because if a channel on one TV is blinking, the other TV on different is not. Putting both TVs on same channel and both blink together

Reply | Forward | Print
opalboy Re: Picture Freezes Feb 11, 2006
What city is everyone in... Milwaukee here.... the Problems are with ML4 ML6 ML12 ML 24... etc... all the locals. Signal strengths are in the 91+ range... no problem there.

Reply | Forward | Print
TS Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
I am in the cleveland OH. area of course when I call direct tv. they tell me they are not aware of a problem in my area. I have been complaining since october how can this be I know I am not the only one with this problem it is very wide spread look at all the posts.

Reply | Forward | Print
jfb Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
I didn't see the Olympics, I was trying to watch547 Flix, It too was blinking. I called last night and though I reported a problem. I did go to NBC for a couple minutes and while there had a couple blinks.
-
This Morning blinks on NBC and Flix. I called DTV, and asked for superviser. She stated there was NO record of me calling.
-
There was also NO record of any problem reported with Olympics last night.
-
Every one needs to call and wait the 30 minuted to talk to a supervisor and get them to address the problem

Reply | Forward | Print
hop Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
I have not yet called. I am in the SE Wisconsin area. Local channels are Milwaukee. I have done some if not all the basics, i.e., reset receiver, make sure dish is not obstructed, pulled plug for 15 seconds, checked signal strength. I have a 3 LNB dish. It all started Super Bowl Sunday of all days!
Four tv's. All of them do it now to some degree. The 410 doesn't seem to be affected as much. Most prevalent on local channels.

Direct TV needs to step up and let us know there is a problem, outline their plan to fix and ask for our patience rather than deny there is a problem.

Would someone please report back if a tech was able to solve the issue or not.

Reply | Forward | Print
geribash Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
We have had the same problem. I called on Super Bowl Sunday, they put me through to their technical department where I waited for toooooooo long so I hung up. Then I emailed them and they said they were sorry to hear about the problem and gave me some trouble shooting that of course didn't work. When I called, and emailed them I asked them why they are continuously hitting the service to stop poachers. They didn't deny it, but never even addressed the question. I think they are doing it to stop people from stealing the service. If you watched the Super Bowl, the interruptions were timed so that they didn't occur during the game. They would hit just at the beginning of commercials, or during advertisements that weren't the "fun" commercials. What are your thoughts on this?? Am I just crazy or what?

Reply | Forward | Print
twiggy Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 11, 2006
I'm in the Omaha Nebraska area and am having the same problem. It's very frustrating. It 's been going on for over a week here mostly on the local channels especially NBC. It makes the viewing of the olympics miserable.

Reply | Forward | Print
cablehereicome Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 12, 2006
I also live in Wisconsin and have the same problem. I have 2 d10-300 receivers and the picture is horrible on all local channels and a couple of the higher channels. Direct TV kept saying it was a problem with my setup but the signal strengths are all 92 or higher. After going through all of the tech support and not having anyone at direct TV admit that there was a problem I decided to call Time Warner and give them a shot at my business as my contract just ended 2 weeks ago. They have a deal for all dish/direct TV customer to switch over where my bill for one TV with digital service and a dvr and the rest with just the standard channels was less then Direct TV could offer. Needless to say I am not sticking around to find out how this problem is resolved. I will admit that I have been happy with DTV for the past 3 years, I just can't justify spending so much money when the channels we watch the most are the worst. Good luck to all of you who are stuck in a contract hopefully they will make it up to you.

Reply | Forward | Print
tstolze Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 12, 2006
I have been getting the same in the St. Louis, Mo area. I was thinking it was my dish as we got some snow a couple days ago, cleaned it off and still happening. Checked signal looks good, 95+. Two different receivers same problems happening on both....Trying to call now...

Reply | Forward | Print
BobV Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 12, 2006
Figured I'd chime in since I haven't seen anyone from this area yet......the Norfolk, VA area. Same problem here. I am noticing it only on the local channels, and I'd go so far as to say it really only happens during sporting events (or at least 90-95% of the time). It totally screwed up my Super Bowl; but is even worse during the Olympics. I just turned the channel because I couldn't stand it any more.....it was doing it every 10 or 15 seconds or so. If this is being done purposely to deter recording of events or piracy issues, I'm ticked. Don't really want to do it, but if this continues, I'm a cable customer again.....which would be unfortunate since I've been a DirecTV customer for about 10 years now. But I'm not paying this much for this quality of service.

Reply | Forward | Print
Jackgsnc Re: Picture Freezes Rate Feb 12, 2006
8:58 PM 2/12
Greensboro North Carolina
Really disgusted with the freeze problem. Happens it seems with quick camera changes on sports. Been a mess with the Luge coverage tonight. Calling DTV on speaker phone tomorrow. Fix it or goodbye. DTV customer for 8 years. Local channels-yes. Wife is also upset because public TV channel gets interrupted. Glad I found this forum. DTV troubling shooting is a joke. Don't mind the problems when it rains. Perfect weather tonight. Don't understand why these technical companies never admit there's a problem. This freeze just occurred on a fast moving quick camera switching Chevy commerical. Keep up the pressure. I'm going to adjust my transponder setting in the AM.

Reply | Forward | Print
opalboy Re: Picture Freezes Feb 12, 2006
I have now heard back from Directv once again and the same responce. Please call 800 blah blah. I'm watching (trying) the Olympics. Everytime there is quick action the picture freezes, audio is not affected. I requested that my email be forwarded to the president of the company. We are only a small installation company, but dealing with multi-million dollar homes with extragant systems. Many spend $100,000+. We have halted all installations until we get an answer. We do not want to loose Directv all we want is an honest answer. Not Screened through the tech department. I do not want another "tech" to tell me to reboot, unplug, check signal strength or anything else. That is not the solution. I hope to hear something back soon... pretty bad.. I'm watching analog cable with a better picture right now.. SAD.

Reply | Forward | Print

Please continue to post here and please post all problems to the directv thread..

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaysinglethread?rootPostID=10129011

The Olympics were a mess last night.... I was trying to watch the snowboards. Everytime a quick action shot happens... bang.. freeze.... audio still on... pic comes back in 1-30 seconds.

I live in North Carolina and began posting to the DTV forum last night. If it's the local uplink, it's the local uplink for just about every local uplink in the US. I think not. If DTV is trying to blow off poachers, thay are ruining service for everyone else. I watch the super bowl at a party at a friends house on cable, no problems. Everyone around here on DTV had picture freezes. Last night I was on NBC and the Luge and Snow boarding were terrible. So were some Chevy commericals. Switched to CBS movie, and got freezes there. Switched to Fox local news and got freezes there. Watched Olympics on one receiver and wife watched PBS on another, both programs froze at exactly the same time. THis started last fall Sept/Oct. Been with DTV 8 years, and seriously thinking of canning the service. Does anyone know about dish? I use cable for internet service, and could go with them, after I figure out that nightmare.

I finally got a reasonable responce from Directv..

"Dear Steve,

Thank you for writing back.Our Broadcast department is aware of this problem with the Milwaukee local channels, and are working to correct this as soon as possible. We expect to have this issue corrected very soon.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Steve
DIRECTV Customer Service"

At least they are admitting to the problem... I just would love to know when "very soon" is...

Keep the posts coming!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.