Local Weather on TWC

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
At long last I just got the local weather for the first time on my ViP211 receiver on channel 214.

Too bad its just like the stuff you get on Dish Home but it's faster.

It's silly to that the icon appears to go into it after "locals time".

That weather is absolutely worthless!

The entire point of adding it to 214 was to have the actual forecast like they have on the weather channel, including winter storm warnings etc. I am guessing 4-6 years to have that part implemented - at the earliest.

Maybe my kids, kids will see it in their time. Of course by then we will be getting IPTV via 8G cell towers. ;)

So this is working now hua?I'll have to try it.It's too bad it's not the promised local on the 8's thou and it's just like the channel 100 application.Still it's better then going to 100 if it's faster.

I still don't see anything....Maybe it's just in certain markets? I can go to channel 100 and access it but it doesn't come up on the local on the 8's.

We should have expected something given that Dish included information about this channel in the e-mail newsletter they just sent out (I rec'd yesterday). Pretty disappointing, assuming it hasn't changed since I saw it last, that we've known about this "feature" for a year+ now and it was likely under development before then !

Ok this is still in the testing phase.It was working at 1pm on my receiver and now it's no longer happening.Also it would constanly come up even during commercials.Also what was the info in the newsletter they sent out?Is there a link I can go to?

Geez... it's one thing that they left it on their website, but at least it wasn't on the front page and you kinda had to dig and find it. But now they've sent out an e-mail to customers announcing it and it's still not working ?

Fortunately, two of my local OTAs have a dedicated local weather channel on their secondary digital channels

After seeing this thread yesterday, I went to ch 214 and tried it last night. It worked for me once, but then when I was trying to show my wife, I couldn't get it to work again. The time I got it to work, I didn't see any indicator on the screen saying it was available, I just pressed the select button, and it came up.

I would say it is much better than going to ch 100 simply because it comes up almost immediately. (Getting to channel 100 is intolerably slow in my opinion.) Beyond that, once it was up, it looks exactly like the version you can get to at ch 100. I should also mention when you cancel out, it exits almost immediately as well.

Some may claim it is no different, but me the speed factor means now I will actually use it.

The speed of the icon appearing varies between my receivers...slower and sometimes never on the DVR625 and just a second or two after tuning to Ch 214 on the 522. Indeed, it is somewhat dissapointing -- hoping it would just automatically appear during local on the 8s -- but, indeed this is a little more convenient versus tuning to Ch 100 and waiting for the interactive page to load. I still miss the Accu-Weather branded interactive weather, simply because I like getting two different viewpoints on the forecast and I think Accu-Weather tends to be more accurate.

The trigger is working here. Not sure why I even bothered though...

I live in Maine, and the general rule is if a radar map that takes up less then 1/3 of the total screen area also has Chicago in the same view, it is worthless.

The map is so small, Rhode Island is completely covered by the "B" in "Boston!" On the cable version they have it on a county scale or even city scale. I don't see why Dish can not implement this as there are all sorts of API's you can use to grab weather data from TWC. If they are pulling the current map, they can pull better maps.

I live in Maine, and the general rule is if a radar map that takes up less then 1/3 of the total screen area also has Chicago in the same view, it is worthless.
Depends on your definition of "local", doesn't it ? :) I mean, Ohio is a wee bit bigger than RI, but my map shows the SW corner of Iowa, down to the northern part of Louisiana, all of Georgia, and heh, I can your weather in RI !!
On the cable version they have it on a county scale or even city scale.
I've stated this many times, but I think they're targeting this to users who've NEVER had cable. They've always had satellite and are going from *nothing* to *this*. They have nothing to compare against and in turn, complain about. The other nice aspect of cable's version is the city ticker across the bottom. It's nearby cities, i.e. Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, and so on for me. On Dish, I see an alphabetical list of cities all over the US.

Ok I just found it on dishnetwork.com but if this is suppose to be what we get when we press the select button on 214 are they going to be able to show watches and warnings on it like they had previously said?They also promised us the slideshow.Since this is in the testing phase it may be that their just using the application on 100 on channel 214.Once their ready to implement it which will probebly be sometimes next year since their so slow hopefully we will get the real local on the 8s with the bigger local radar that shows precipitation movements.I emailed the weather channel and they told me their working on a device that will allow satellite customers to get the local on the 8s application that cable componeys get now.I still think an easier solution would be to add Weather One from the weather channel.It gives local weather for your area.

Attachments

• twc-dish.jpg
    twc-dish.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 152
I finally got around to checking my 510 and it doesn't work on the 510 yet.It does work on my 301 thou.

A few here have said that it worked and then it didn't..

I have noticed that at about on the "1's", the trigger icon comes on. If you hit select, it will work. Then you will not get the trigger icon again unless you change channels and then come back next time around. If you don't select the trigger, it will keep appearing every 10 minutes. Again on the "1's" for about a minute.

After seeing this thread yesterday, I went to ch 214 and tried it last night. It worked for me once, but then when I was trying to show my wife, I couldn't get it to work again. The time I got it to work, I didn't see any indicator on the screen saying it was available, I just pressed the select button, and it came up.

I would say it is much better than going to ch 100 simply because it comes up almost immediately. (Getting to channel 100 is intolerably slow in my opinion.) Beyond that, once it was up, it looks exactly like the version you can get to at ch 100. I should also mention when you cancel out, it exits almost immediately as well.

Some may claim it is no different, but me the speed factor means now I will actually use it.

Same here-I hate channel 100, as the load times are unbearable. The interactive icon came up when I switched to TWC a few minutes ago. After pressing "select" on the remote, the local weather appeared within 5 seconds, or possibly less.

I'm pleased overall...this is more than I thought I would ever see on The Weather Channel without going back to cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)