locals (dishnetwork) sat 110

dryden

New Member
May 18, 2004
2
0
hi guys !!!

do you know what city who should arrive with the package who include (ATLANTA-NEW YORK- CHICAGO-DENVER-LOS ANGELES...).

we have a message on channel 8412 and 8399 about that!!!

this mysterious city should replace DALLAS in this package on APRIL 26 !!!!!!!

do you have some informations !!!

(don't look a my poor english... i just tried to write something who is acceptable !!!)

thanks !!!
 

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
299
48
Mankato, MN
The way I understood it, if you had Dallas as a distant and are now out of the spot beam, you could pick one of the other 3 cities (Denver is excluded as it is going to be doing the same thing).
 

dryden

New Member
May 18, 2004
2
0
???

i think,you don't understand my point... check the message on channel 8399...they (dishnetwork) talk about a city who will replace DALLAS on sat 110 ...what is this city ??

they (dishnetwork) said that we will watch the new city in APRIL (26)...however,one month later...no informations about that ...


thanks
 

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
dryden said:
i think,you don't understand my point... check the message on channel 8399...they (dishnetwork) talk about a city who will replace DALLAS on sat 110 ...what is this city ??

they (dishnetwork) said that we will watch the new city in APRIL (26)...however,one month later...no informations about that ...


thanks

In certain areas, this is the new lineup of available Distant Nets:

Kansas City, MO
New York, NY
Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA

I believe you will be flipped to the closest distant city soon. I think there is a difference if your bill says "Distant Networks" or "Local Networks". Even though anyone in my area with the Dallas channels are receiving them as Distant Nets, some have "Dallas Local Broadcast Networks" or something similar on their bills. Those customers haven't lost the channels.
 

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
299
48
Mankato, MN
dryden said:
i think,you don't understand my point... check the message on channel 8399...they (dishnetwork) talk about a city who will replace DALLAS on sat 110 ...what is this city ??

they (dishnetwork) said that we will watch the new city in APRIL (26)...however,one month later...no informations about that ...


thanks

I don't have Dallas as a local or distant option. Therefore, I cannot see channel 8399. What I have understood it as you would be allowed to pick another city from their list as a distant.
 

JohnR

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
66
0
Topeka, Kansas
Mainstreet said:
In certain areas, this is the new lineup of available Distant Nets:

Kansas City, MO
New York, NY
Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Los Angeles, CA

I believe you will be flipped to the closest distant city soon. I think there is a difference if your bill says "Distant Networks" or "Local Networks". Even though anyone in my area with the Dallas channels are receiving them as Distant Nets, some have "Dallas Local Broadcast Networks" or something similar on their bills. Those customers haven't lost the channels.



Kansas City as a distant network option? In what certain areas? Where did you get this information? Do you know when KC would be available? I would love to change my Chicago distant nets to KC if they became available, but my understanding is that KC nets are on a spot beam (although I should be within the footprint of the spot beam.)
 

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
JohnR said:
Kansas City as a distant network option? In what certain areas? Where did you get this information? Do you know when KC would be available? I would love to change my Chicago distant nets to KC if they became available, but my understanding is that KC nets are on a spot beam (although I should be within the footprint of the spot beam.)

An example would be this address:

RR 1
MIAMI, TX 79059-9801
 

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
10,019
804
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Distant Networks are available NATION WIDE on from the following cities:

New York
Atlanta
Chicago
Los Angeles

Distant networks are available WITHIN THE CITY'S SPOT BEAM ONLY from the following cities:
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Dallas, TX
Kansas City, MO
(there may be others, but haven't found them yet)

See ya
Tony
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
TNGTony said:
Distant Networks are available NATION WIDE on from the following cities:

New York
Atlanta
Chicago
Los Angeles

Distant networks are available WITHIN THE CITY'S SPOT BEAM ONLY from the following cities:
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Dallas, TX
Kansas City, MO
(there may be others, but haven't found them yet)

See ya
Tony

Ya know what's sad? Denver was the first LiL city in the country - preceding Dish, DirecTV, PrimeStar and all the other little dish outfits. And now, it's relegated to a little spot beam instead of serving the entire mountain west like it had been for something like 20 years - maybe more!
 

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
700
0
The Denver locals on Satellite preceded PrimeTime 24 as well? PT24 was the big dish version of distant locals, offered NY and LA (and later, I believe they offered other cities as well).
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
aperry said:
The Denver locals on Satellite preceded PrimeTime 24 as well? PT24 was the big dish version of distant locals, offered NY and LA (and later, I believe they offered other cities as well).
I'm not 100% certain, but am reasonably sure that the Denver 5 were the first officially accessible network feeds. They were on one of the oldest birds - F1 later renamed C1 - or the other way around. I think it was finally replaced a few years ago.

It's only logical - satellite link was the ONLY way that a couple of million people could get TV - and most of them were in Colorado or adjacent states.

The city coasties couldn't care less about us mountain hicks. :D :rolleyes:
 

JohnR

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
66
0
Topeka, Kansas
Added KC locals in exchange for Chicago Distant Nets

Based on the information posted in this thread, I called Dish and changed my Chicago Distant Nets for KC Locals. It worked just fine.

I had my superdish installed yesterday, flawless install....new pole and DP34 switch.

I now have Topeka locals, KC locals and LA Distant Nets.

Life is good.
 

roadrhino

SatelliteGuys Family
May 11, 2004
74
0
TNGTony said:
Distant networks are available WITHIN THE CITY'S SPOT BEAM ONLY from the following cities:
Portland, OR
Denver, CO
Dallas, TX
Kansas City, MO
...
Tony

Okay, here's a question. The spotbeam maps at ekb.com would suggest that I should "barely" get SF stations but my SF spotbeam signal strength is far stronger with these than many of the CONUS transponders. Thus, I am wondering, what is the minimum signal strength that would allow me to recieve one of these stations. I rather doubt that I am anywhere near the spotbeam for Denver, Dallas or KC, but perhaps Portland would work out for me. My signal strength for 119, spotbeam 03 (which I believe is Portland, OR)is 62.

Thanks ...

Roadrhino

ps - my wife thinks I am obsessing over the number of PBS stations that I can get via or satellite receiver. If I ask for LA or NY distants, I don't get PBS, but perhaps with Portland... :)
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
Rhino: The "rolloff" of a spotbeam is pretty high - by design. And, because all the power of the beam's transmitter is "focused", it's signal would probably be stronger than a CONUS - when you're in it's footprint.

I don't like a signal down @ 62 - and your receiver will probably tell you the same thing. When you go to Point Dish, do you get a red bar or a green bar for it?

P.S. The site is ekb.dbstalk.com - ekb.com is some Canadian lawyer I think.
 

roadrhino

SatelliteGuys Family
May 11, 2004
74
0
SimpleSimon said:
Rhino: The "rolloff" of a spotbeam is pretty high - by design. And, because all the power of the beam's transmitter is "focused", it's signal would probably be stronger than a CONUS - when you're in it's footprint.

Okay, fair 'nuff.

I don't like a signal down @ 62 - and your receiver will probably tell you the same thing. When you go to Point Dish, do you get a red bar or a green bar for it?

It is green. I also get spotbeam 01 off of 119, with a signal strength of 42 ... in green.

Presumably the lower the signal strength, the worse the signal, but if the signal strength bar is green, does it mean that I could likely view stations off that transponder/spotbeam?

Redrhino
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
I presume you mean Beam #3, Tp #1. How about Tp #3 - the other half of that beam?

Anyway, I thought red bars came in @ below 70 - but maybe that's just for 110/119.

Dunno - green is go - give it a shot!
 

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
4,900
1,483
Earth
Simon, Dishnet receivers green meens the signal is locked an usable, red is not locked (less than 40?)
 

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
5,692
3
Florissant, CO
n0qcu said:
Simon, Dishnet receivers green meens the signal is locked an usable, red is not locked (less than 40?)
Right - I'm just not sure about the numbers - and they might be different depending on the satellite - or it's type - dunno. It'd be nice if we could build a database of that, but it'd be a real PITA to gather the info.

P.S. Gotcha on that other thread you locked - I'm 100% in agreement, just had no idea that's what he was talking about - which you probably figured by what I was asking. :)
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top