Locals & HD Package ONLY?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

molder101

Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I was just curious if anyone knows if you can purchase ONLY local stations and the HD Package?

If not, I guess they require you have one of the $40/mth packages first.

I just watch HD stuff and not much of that either so it is pointless for me to spend $50-$60/mth on tv.

However if the above was available for $20 or so per month that would be of interest to me.

Thanks,
Mike

Also Dish will charge you a monthly $5 service fee for not subscribing to one of the AT packages.

NightRyder

If you have HD gear, can you get the locals OTA? Why on Earth would you want to view locals delivered by Dish? The PQ is awful beyond belief. In my DMA, they cram 12 channels/transponder and the picture is nothing but mush.

I would purchase them as a backup. I know I personally can't count on my antenna and the OTA to always work. There have been several nights where I had to watch dish because I couldn't get a signal.

OTA problems

There are still problems on digital OTA: no closed captioning or delayed CC (921 especially), sound dropouts (1-2 sec or more), weak/fading signal going to acquiring or on-off-on, and obstructions.
The TV staff does not seem to monitor OTA nearly as well as analog so problems take more time to be corrected.
Need we say only one tuner and guide info (921 mini-info only). May be involved in 921 ZSR even from Dish channels.

Yes you can get just the HD package and locals
9.99 for HD + 5.99 for locals + 5 fee for not having AT60 = 20.98+taxes

TuxCoder said:
You lost me here. :)

:confused:
As I polled in DBSTalk bug report.
For the 921 if from the guide you press info on an OTA channel you get nothing. Yet, the guide show the first part of the LIL channel's info.

If you are referring to one tuner then how do I record 2 channels at the same time, for example, Alias and West Wing, which won't be repeated for months. At least Jack & Bobby appears again on Sunday.
-Ken

That explains the first sentence I quoted above. But in the second sentence, what's a ZSR? The closest I can think of is CSR which just confuses me more. :)

What about just the HD Pack? Or HD Pack + HBO? Does Dish allow this? I own my 921, and I think I want to move to Comcast to get HD locals with a PVR (reception is no good where I live, and I think that SD PQ is better over cable).

The Dish HD Pack is $9.95 and you can add the Premium movie packs A La Carte. Dish will charge you an extra $5/month for a "No Package" fee if you don't have one of their "Top Whatever" packages.

KKlare said:
There are still problems on digital OTA: no closed captioning or delayed CC (921 especially), sound dropouts (1-2 sec or more), weak/fading signal going to acquiring or on-off-on, and obstructions.
The TV staff does not seem to monitor OTA nearly as well as analog so problems take more time to be corrected.
Need we say only one tuner and guide info (921 mini-info only). May be involved in 921 ZSR even from Dish channels.
Our local KRCR ABC affiliate just started PSIP. I'm experiencing exactly what you are describing. On the 6000 the original digital channel that worked went black and I rescanned which remapped to their main channel number. Now my 921's continue to receive this station on channel 34-01 34-02 and it also shows on the remapped 07-01 and 07-02. I think things will improve greatly within the next few weeks once they get everything fine-tuned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)