Locals on 119?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I just bought a house in the Kansas City area. It faces North, and in my back yard are two beautiful (well, actually they're crippled) 50-year-old maples. In my neighbor's yard, there's a 50-year-old elm. When I bought the house, though, I was ecstatic to find that a Dish antenna had been left on the roof, as well as a 4' VHF/UHF rig.

I brought my DP625 from the old house, plugged it in, and found no signal at all. Wire from the dish was clipped, fixed it, got signal just fine. Went out front to get a better look at the dish, and it was a single LNBF, non-500 pan...sad, but okay. Oddly enough, I still got local channels intermittently on the old pan/LNBF, but it was inconsistent. I wrote that off as a sunburned LNBF, and let it slide.

Had an installer come out for my free move, and he installed a brand new DP+ LNBF with a new pan, but informed me that my maple was directly in the way of the 110 sat, which I shrugged off, 'cause I got all of my subscribed programming off of 119, right? Before he left, I ran through all of the channels; Sirius, Speed, HGTV, and locals 4, 5, 9, and 19 (Fox, ABC, CBS, and PBS), and they all worked fine.

My wife called me in a panic a few hours ago because she couldn't see 19 (kids flip the heck out if they can't watch Zaboomafoo). The 625 told her that it needed a Dish 500 antenna to get that channel. I told her to call Dish, they told her to reset the unit. She did, and called back. They stepped her through diagnostics, and informed her that since we can't spot 110, we were ineligible for local channels. The CSR also offered to unsubscribe us, which my wife accepted. Somehow or another, the 625 was rebooted again, so now it has the updated subscription list, and I can't so much as troubleshoot it, even when I do get home.

What's going on here? Why was I getting locals off of 119? Is it that Dish is unwilling to certify availability on 119? I still have the old pan and LNBF; can I mount that on the East side of my house, which has a clear view to 110 and simply merge that line into the receiver? Or do I have to activate that ugly but expensive 4' mast and lose the ability to record "Prison Break" on my DVR?!?

In order to uplink more local cities and start offering HD locals all over the country, Dish launched a super-uper spot beam satellite to 110. If you do a search on this forum for E*10 you will see a ton of info about it. Also take a look at www.dishchannelchart.com to see where all the channels are in the sky. Also take a look at the "changes archive" to see when the moves happened.

Kansas City right now, all the local channels are on 119 transponder 1 spot beam 9. If you are in the KC area, you should be able to get them. If you live on the very edge of the KC market (http://ekb.dbstalk.com/TVMarkets you may have problems receiving them.

Sew ya
Tony

Thanks, Tony, that makes a lot of sense. On the second part of my question, though, how hard is it to put that old pan in a location to spot 110 all by itself and merge the signals between the 500/DP and the old pan/LNBF? I only have the one receiver, and plan on keeping it that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)