"Locals only" possible, where no OTA reception?

Keep in mind, ATSC 1 signals are permitted to be shut down after five years of ATSC 3 broadcasts. I doubt that will happen that fast, but the day will come. MAYBE within the next ten years. But that day will come. Waste of valuable spectrum (& electricity & maintenance &…) to try and keep both going.

I have an inkling that the viewership for ATSC 3.0 is going to be too sparse for stations to totally abandon ATSC 1.0 in the forseeable future. Right now it is a curiosity for early adopters, but the general public mostly have never even heard of it and if tuners are not dirt cheap or included with all new TV's, they can just stick with what they have.

I’ve thought so too. But I believe they have a plan to entice people over. Maybe sub channels move first? IDK. I was very doubtful about ATSC 3 in the beginning. But I’ve seen where the money is going. They are doing this to make money, not out of the goodness of their hearts. I don’t think any of us understand their long game. But it’s there.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Keep in mind, ATSC 1 signals are permitted to be shut down after five years of ATSC 3 broadcasts. I doubt that will happen that fast, but the day will come. MAYBE within the next ten years. But that day will come. Waste of valuable spectrum (& electricity & maintenance &…) to try and keep both going.
But if only so that the broadcasters can still point to "FREE" TV, but they would probably sell to wireless companies and cash out. Keep in mind that the vast majority of local stations today are owned by huge corporate interests who still can get revenue from cable and Sat for ATSC 1.0 while they will likely offer pay TV like HBO or ESPN behind a paywall at ATSC 3.0 (I see a viable, profitable niche business for Cable TV or Satellite once DTV and Dish merge) with streaming being a permanent alternative, but consumer fatigue of multiple billing and having to subscribe to too many streamers and their cost to meet the household needs/desires (expressed TODAY by many I speak with)--AND the very recent thoughts of unnamed sources at the studios about how they still make more money with cable/Sat revenue, and they should not turn out the lights there any time soon, especially since the big news of Netflix loss of subscribers. Nobody feel highly confident of where streaming is really going. I would say Disney+ and a few others are safe, and Netflix can fix their problem, so they should not be counted out, either, just yet.

The current rather LOW subscription rates for the newest studio streaming services are still NOT paying for all the new programming and tech on those services; it is revenue from both MVPD's and vMVPD's that are subsidizing the TRUE subscription cost, but with revenue decreasing from (v)MVPD's, the monthly subscription price will have to go up--AND it already has in almost every case, and at Disney+, as just one example.

It will take a little time, but consumer fatigue of ever increasing monthly subscription prices that are necessary to pay for all that NEW programming among several streaming services (several bills) will see a new "cut the cord" attitude, but by that time ATSC 1.0 is a diginets joke, and ATSC 3.0 will be behind a paywall, and vMVPD's may seem more appealing then they are even today, and that may be where the money REALLY is for the studios, with streaming seen as a secondary service for its vast catalog or a hybrid (v)MVPD subscription with a very modest add-on for full access to the streaming service for its catalog and opportunity to see missed episodes.

The real key would be the now AWFUL on one app, off that app, and load another experience needs to be fixed, and can be, but no so simply so. Accessing multiple streaming serviceslike the MVPD experience is what could make the difference. People become far more aware of a streaming service they don't use because of the experience of having to load and unload the app, or more aware of the streaming services they DO use most often because of loading and unloading the app.

Creating a seamless experience to access streaming services could work in favor those streamers that are less popular. It's the old experience of having to go to the butcher, the baker, the grocer compared to the modern experience of going to the Supermarket, even if that Supermarket is Wal-Mart or Target, and we do have room for at least ONE extra stop like a Costco, while Sam's Club is facing some problems.

After some time, the TV landscape may just go back from where it started.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks, the "lifeline" concept maybe a good approach (I still don't have the time/focus to get my notes together to call Dish).

Yes, the best radio news is KNX, and I think KFWB, though we don't receive the latter here at home, so I don't hear it often. Here, the benefit of live local TV is to see exactly where brush fires are burning. Even if radio sounds like they know what they're talking about, it's hard to trust they've got the timing and exact location right.

There was a guy here who is no longer permitted to use the site. I won't mention his forum name. He was able to cancel his package and use only locals. His monthly fee was very minimal. He owned his equipment though. You should call and demand that you talk to US based higher level person.

I don't see why that request will not be accepted if you are willing to add news and/or sports package(s).
If you were referring to me, I am back. Just be sure to use my new forum name from now on. Also my new pronouns (she/her). I am transgender.

To the OP: Yes, there is still a Locals Only package. I have it, although it now runs $25 per month. (A total of $26.83 per month here in Ohio, including all taxes and surcharges.) I am not sure where it is available, or what conditions would be required to qualify for it. The point is that the package actually does exist, so it would definitely be worth it to ask Dish about it.

If you were referring to me, I am back. Just be sure to use my new forum name from now on.
Welcome back! I for one missed your advice and experience with a myriad of Dish receivers, accessories, and services. I think there's a guy or gal asking about the Duo right now. Didn't you have experience with those?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)