locals question

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
can you still "move" and get a different set of locals by changing your service address to a fake address in the market you want? i'm moving to zip code 54956 (neenah, wi), and would like to continue to watch chicago channels. i am aware that this is unethical, but i can live with that. i am fine with not hooking my boxes up to a phone line if thats necessary.

It probably depends on whether or not those locals are CONUS or spotbeam. I THINK they are spot beam -- so I guess it depends on how far you are out of that market and whether or not you can get the spot beam.

I'm in Georgia and would still prefer to have L.A. (over San Francisco), but my understanding is that this is IMPOSSIBLE.

Cade

Chicago Big 4 locals are CONUS so you can be in Florida, Arizona, Washington or Maine and get them

The rest are on spotbeam 31 on 110...depeding on where you are, it looks like its the fringe
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t31.gif

just keep your physical address that you have right now and change the billing to the correct address :)

How can i tell if i can receive another spot Beam From another location?

That's what I was wondering. I actually reside in zip code 71104 but every year during baseball season, we 'move' to zip code 30113. I have been hesitant to do so this year until I know for sure that I would get the Atlanta locals, as always. They are in HD, right? Those of you in Atlanta, are you getting good, clear HD signals on your locals?

Thanks!

Chicago Big 4 locals are CONUS so you can be in Florida, Arizona, Washington or Maine and get them

The rest are on spotbeam 31 on 110...depeding on where you are, it looks like its the fringe
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t31.gif

just keep your physical address that you have right now and change the billing to the correct address :)

thanks for the help.

couple other questions, i apologize if they are pretty basic.
1. if i am getting the big 4 locals from chicago via spotbeam, and i am on the "fringe" for the other stations, would i have trouble getting most channels? i pretty much just want to be able to get the top 100 package, the hd channels, and chicago locals. if i can still do that, i guess thats all i need to know.
2. once i "move", do i need to adjust the satellite at all?
3. i heard people are getting audited. is this a concern? what is the penalty if you aren't using the correct address? is it common to get audited?

i guess i'm asking whether there are any downsides to doing this, besides any ethical problems, which i can live with.

How can i tell if i can receive another spot Beam From another location?

Go to your setup menu and display the transponders. Most of the spot beams on Dish are on 110. As you step through the transponders, have a list of what's on them using Lyngsat. There are also spot beam maps available that show the approximate coverage. There are many overlaps where you can see signals from markets that may be several hundred miles away.

Of course you will only be able to see channels in the market you are registered for. But if you are contemplating changing your "physical address", it would be nice to know if you can get sufficient signal to view the channels once you've "moved". That is why you'll want to display the transponder signal strength for the locals before going to the trouble of telling the satellite service provider you are "moving".

If the signals from your desired city are marginal, you can go to a larger-than-standard dish to get them more reliably. I can see spot beams from over 400 miles away using a 90-cm dish.

Go to your setup menu and display the transponders. Most of the spot beams on Dish are on 110. As you step through the transponders, have a list of what's on them using Lyngsat. There are also spot beam maps available that show the approximate coverage. There are many overlaps where you can see signals from markets that may be several hundred miles away.

Of course you will only be able to see channels in the market you are registered for. But if you are contemplating changing your "physical address", it would be nice to know if you can get sufficient signal to view the channels once you've "moved". That is why you'll want to display the transponder signal strength for the locals before going to the trouble of telling the satellite service provider you are "moving".

If the signals from your desired city are marginal, you can go to a larger-than-standard dish to get them more reliably. I can see spot beams from over 400 miles away using a 90-cm dish.

what are the larger dishes called, and can i request one when i set up service? thanks

what are the larger dishes called, and can i request one when i set up service? thanks

Larger dishes can be purchased from sites such as Sadoun. Fortec Star (one of the site sponsors) is one of the dish manufacturers.
If-and-when you "move", tell the satellite service provider that there is already a dish at your "new" location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts