Locals want a piece $ of the streaming action

MartyDe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
CT
Saw this today. Local channels want streaming to be classified like cable so they can get more income.

• Angry
Reactions: FTA4PA
Hopefully the streaming providers tell them where to go. There's very little content on network TV worth watching and easily obtained OTA for FREE
Except, it NOT always Easy to get OTA ...

Fwiw, I watch a lot of OTA shows ... most of whats on Streaming (Paramount for example) is things I watch OTA on the Networks ... Not as much as I use to, but if you look at my current DVR, I'd say probably at least 50% of it is OTA stuff.

Reactions: NYDutch
Saw this today. Local channels want streaming to be classified like cable so they can get more income.
This will essentially turn into more Black outs and Channel disputes ...

I thought this was already denied, must have been something similar.
It was, but try, try again is the stations motto to get higher per sub fees.

If this happens, would say YTTV for example, be then allowed to carry a national version of CBS/ABC/Fox/NBC instead of the local ones, thought I read streaming was allowed to do that.

Except, it NOT always Easy to get OTA ...

Fwiw, I watch a lot of OTA shows ... most of whats on Streaming (Paramount for example) is things I watch OTA on the Networks ... Not as much as I use to, but if you look at my current DVR, I'd say probably at least 50% of it is OTA stuff.
You can be sure if they could there would be fees for OTA.

A rule change would impact some more than others. Those that are simply replicating cable companies in their offerings would take a hit but those that create primarily their own content, like Amazon for instance, wouldn't hardly notice. The problem is that unless the FCC changes the rule locals as we know them could, and likely would, disappear (so much for ATSC 3). Cable companies are shutting down TV carriage and concentrating on providing Internet based services. Satellite is suffering and may very well just stop carrying locals altogether rather than continue to spin their wheels fighting one shakedown after another from the likes of Nexstar. So the only thing the locals have left is OTA and they're doing their best to mess that up. If they were smart, and I don't think they are, they would be out there giving away free antennas, maybe even installing them for people, because it's probably their best chance of survival and they have no one to blame but their own greed.

...Satellite is suffering and may very well just stop carrying locals altogether rather than continue to spin their wheels fighting one shakedown after another from the likes of Nexstar. So the only thing the locals have left is OTA and they're doing their best to mess that up. If they were smart, and I don't think they are, they would be out there giving away free antennas, maybe even installing them for people, because it's probably their best chance of survival and they have no one to blame but their own greed.
THIS!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Streamers being forced to pay locals may mean they just drop locals. Local weather comes from multiple non local sources. Same for traffic. How much is local news worth?

Reactions: osu1991
I think the American TV watcher will move on from ota if they start charging to watch something that was free in the first place. I am barely watching night time TV on the networks since it is all reruns. I haven't watched late night TV since May. Guess what I found other things to watch and I am thinking that a lot of viewers will do the same. Especially if it involves saving money. Streaming is starting to reassemble into cable like services that keep pushing the prices upward. I will cancel if it becomes like that on all streaming live TV service. Disney is greedy and so is Netflix and Max. They are all pushing for more money from viewers.

I find I watch more classic TV reruns from the past anyway. I just finished watching 1960s Lost in Space again through the three seasons it was on on Metv. I will take a break from this show for a few years till it becomes time to watch again. Amazon has old episodes of The Jeffersons, and Mary Tyler Moore show and Designing Women. I have been watching them again. The only thing I reliably watch on TV these days are News on MSNBC and CNN. I also watch these type of news videos on You tube . But I am a political junkie.

Reactions: dishdude
Streamers being forced to pay locals may mean they just drop locals. Local weather comes from multiple non local sources. Same for traffic. How much is local news worth?
Streamers pay for them now, it is just the the national channel, say CBS for example, does the negotiating for all of them.

Some of the local channels want to negotiate on their own, thinking it will earn them more $$$$.

• Sad
Reactions: Bobby and navychop
Currently, Paramount Plus authenticates the local CBS affiliate and a local news loop with their live channels. I expect Peacock to add the local NBC affiliate with their live offerings, soon. Peacock offers some big city news loops now.

I’m not sure what Disney/ABC plans… they haven’t done anything with live channels in the streamer, yet. Although they have Hulu live.

The problem is that on-demand/streaming is not yet a complete replacement for linear TV for many people. The question is how will the two compliment each other. And revenue sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently, Paramount Plus authenticates the local CBS affiliate and a local news loop with their live channels. I expect Peacock to add the local NBC affiliate with their live offerings, soon. Peacock offers some big city news loops now.
Peacock already does have the local NBC station on, for a while now.
The problem is that on-demand/streaming is not yet a complete replacement for linear TV for many people.
That is your opinion, but in today’s DVR world, does it matter if we watch our delayed viewing on a DVR, or a streaming service, specially since that content is shown in much better quality, 1080P/Dolby Digital+ and even in 4K on streaming services.

For example, the new season of Justified was weekly on FX in 720P, but was also on Hulu weekly in 4K.

I’m not sure what Disney/ABC plans… they haven’t done anything with live channels in the streamer, yet. Although they have Hulu live.

The problem is that on-demand/streaming is not yet a complete replacement for linear TV for many people. The question is how will the two compliment each other. And revenue sharing.

I get my local TV news on Hulu, even though I dont have Hulu Live:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 6.56.16 AM.png

Reactions: navychop
Peacock already does have the local NBC station on, for a while now.

I remember setting it up a while ago, but don’t see the local now, nor how to authenticate.

That is your opinion, but in today’s DVR world, does it matter if we watch our delayed viewing on a DVR, or a streaming service, specially since that content is shown in much better quality, 1080P/Dolby Digital+ and even in 4K on streaming services.

We’ll, streaming makes DVRs obsolete. It doesn’t matter where the storage is. Streaming can also handle ad insertion or not for those that pay a premium.

As noted, streamers are already including linear channels. Linear channels through a streaming platform won’t have the arbitrary limitations that were imposed by broadcast standards.

Anyhow, there are still use cases for locals in a streaming world. News and sports are inherently local and will need local production.

The open question is the role of the local affiliate in a network’s streaming platform. Will the network still produce content exclusively for its local affiliate if that affiliate is being distributed through the streamer? I expect that they will for the foreseeable future.

I remember setting it up a while ago, but don’t see the local now, nor how to authenticate.
You do not have to authenticate, it is just on, for me, the NBC in Orlando.

Paramount+ works the same way.

The only ones you have to authenticate are the TV Everywhere apps, nothing to do with streaming services.

We’ll, streaming makes DVRs obsolete. It doesn’t matter where the storage is.

Yes it does. My DVRs (CM OTA and H3) aren’t likely to have anything deleted from them because they “expired” or any other reason. And my OTA DVR will not lose anything, even if Dish went under.

Reactions: Nominal