Locals working, Locals in HD not working

evancg

Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Eugene, OR
I switched from Comcast to Dish about a week and a half ago - I was tired of the terrible Comcast DVR, and Dish was less expensive than Comcast+Tivo or DirecTV, and Dish offered local stations in HD where DirecTV does not.

The first week and a half of service was great, but for the past two days when I try to watch a local station in HD I get "Attention 015" followed by "Sorry for the interruption. There is no need to call us. We are working to have this channel back as soon as possible. You may still watch non-local programming by pressing the GUIDE button on your remote control and selecting another channel." Every other station, including the SD local channels work, but the HD locals do not.

After a day of this message I used the online chat and they had me run through some tests and eventually decided a technician would need to come out to determine what the problem is.

Is there something I should be checking or trying? It was working perfectly just the other day, and there hasn't been any adverse weather, changes to the satellite, or anything else on my end that would affect it. I figured when I did the online chat they'd just say it was a known issue they were working on - but since they're sending a technician do they think it's something on my end?

I don't know all the details of the information people need to offer suggestions, but I'm in Eugene, Oregon and usually get KEZI, KLSR, KMTR, and KVAL.

It has to be something with your setup because I am in Eugene and am having no problems with HD locals both off air and through Dish.

It has to be something with your setup because I am in Eugene and am having no problems with HD locals both off air and through Dish.

No problems on Friday night or Saturday (from around 3:00pm - 11:00pm)? I checked this morning and local HD stations are working again.

Guess I'll keep checking them regularly between now and my scheduled service on Tuesday. I don't really want to waste a tech's time, but next weeks Duck game is on ABC. If HD locals go out during that...well....

I am in Eugene, and having the same issue. HD locals worked on Thursday evening, but not yesterday afternoon, nor just now. I'll be calling in to Dish if this continues much longer.

FWIW I upgraded to Dish HD about 6 weeks ago.

I am in Eugene, and having the same issue. HD locals worked on Thursday evening, but not yesterday afternoon, nor just now. I'll be calling in to Dish if this continues much longer.

FWIW I upgraded to Dish HD about 6 weeks ago.

My HD locals are back up again (watching Seahawks on KLSR). And the Dish PQ is significantly better than Comcast QAM.

My HD locals are back up again (watching Seahawks on KLSR). And the Dish PQ is significantly better than Comcast QAM.

Well that sucks that it wasn't working for you but at least it's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing problems (and during similar time frames).

It was working when I checked around noon, but I had to go back to work. Hopefully it's working tonight during Sunday Night Football.

that was happening alot down here in TX.i do know they were/are working on the locals down here,just don't know for how much longer.i've seen it all around tx. and am sure there's nothing wrong w/ your system;)

I switched from Comcast to Dish about a week and a half ago - I was tired of the terrible Comcast DVR, and Dish was less expensive than Comcast+Tivo or DirecTV, and Dish offered local stations in HD where DirecTV does not.

The first week and a half of service was great, but for the past two days when I try to watch a local station in HD I get "Attention 015" followed by "Sorry for the interruption. There is no need to call us. We are working to have this channel back as soon as possible. You may still watch non-local programming by pressing the GUIDE button on your remote control and selecting another channel." Every other station, including the SD local channels work, but the HD locals do not.

After a day of this message I used the online chat and they had me run through some tests and eventually decided a technician would need to come out to determine what the problem is.

Is there something I should be checking or trying? It was working perfectly just the other day, and there hasn't been any adverse weather, changes to the satellite, or anything else on my end that would affect it. I figured when I did the online chat they'd just say it was a known issue they were working on - but since they're sending a technician do they think it's something on my end?

I don't know all the details of the information people need to offer suggestions, but I'm in Eugene, Oregon and usually get KEZI, KLSR, KMTR, and KVAL.

Tune to your HD locals... then hit menu 6 1 1. This will bring you to the signal strength on the transponder and satellite your HD locals are on. What signal strength do you have? I believe your locals are on 129. Make a note of other transponders that do not say Spotbeam above the transponder number and report back here with the numbers. We can determine if you have a dish pointing issue.

Tune to your HD locals... then hit menu 6 1 1. This will bring you to the signal strength on the transponder and satellite your HD locals are on. What signal strength do you have? I believe your locals are on 129. Make a note of other transponders that do not say Spotbeam above the transponder number and report back here with the numbers. We can determine if you have a dish pointing issue.
It wasn't a dish pointing problem. My HD locals were down for 90 minutes earlier. The online tech said that they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. He seemed to hint that I wasn't the only one,obviously, and that it appeared to be a problem at the uplink center.

It wasn't a dish pointing problem. My HD locals were down for 90 minutes earlier. The online tech said that they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. He seemed to hint that I wasn't the only one,obviously, and that it appeared to be a problem at the uplink center.

The OP stated his were down for 2 days.

Transponder \ Signal Strength
11 \ 11 (Spotbeam)
13 \ 56
14 \ 30 (Spotbeam)
15 \ 70 (Spotbeam)
16 \ 41 (Spotbeam)
17 \ 51
18 \ 48
19 \ 52
21 \ 63
22 \ 48
23 \ 52
24 \ 48
25 \ 49
26 \ 49
27 \ 52
28 \ 51
29 \ 53
30 \ 50
31 \ 54
32 \ 62

Are those the numbers you're looking for?

Your signals seem pretty in line. Your spotbeam is a bit lower than others.

Here's a list of what's on the spotbeam along side your Eugene, OR locals.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

You'll notice the Medford locals are not HD and are being sent with QPSK modulation which yields the higher signal quality/strength number, that's why that one is 70.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)