Locast News (Additions, changes, etc)

Email from Locast this morning:

Locast Nation,
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service into our 32nd market – Tri-Cities on the border of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia.
Available today, you can now stream 27 local broadcast TV channels across 19 counties in Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City and the surrounding rural area.
For the first time, residents in Tri-Cities will be able to watch their local TV stations via the Internet on their phones, tablets, laptops, or streaming media devices. We work hard to provide a public service by giving access to important local news, storm coverage, emergency information, election coverage, sports, and entertainment programming to internet-connected devices. For this launch, we were pleased to collaborate with the municipally-owned local electric and communications utility Bristol Tennessee Essential Services (BTES) to locate our data server.

Locast Adds New User Features Like Profiles, Favoriting, & Closed Captioning​

Despite looming copyright suits, Locast continues to grow and provide new features to its over-the-top, non-profit streaming service.

On Wednesday, Locast announced the arrival of three new functions: user profiles, favoriting, and closed captioning. This allows each individual watching Locast on a given device to tailor their viewing experience to their liking.

Users can set up their own profiles in the top right corner of Locast’s user interface. There, you can add a new profile, set your name, and start selecting favorites.

(more)

Not Leaving Season 4 GIF by This Is Us

With the additional cities being added, I do feel that the Networks will have quite a fight on their hands. Locast is not going away easily.

Reactions: NYDutch
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service in Columbus-Zanesville, Ohio. It’s our 34th market.
Locast is an invaluable free tool for residents to stay informed about major storms, health updates, local news, weather, and sports on local broadcast TV. Columbus residents can watch their local TV channels using Locast on their phones, tablets, laptops or streaming media devices.

Columbus is also home to university students who can qualify for our Locast Cares Program – a way for users who cannot donate financially to watch their local TV channels without receiving donation-request interruptions. The program is open to the first 25,000 applicants and is available for one year. Students, first responders and low income households, among others, can qualify.

Find out more about Locast in Columbus at www.locast.org or on our news page.
As a reminder, there are many ways to watch Locast – at www.locast.org, app stores, TiVo, streaming service providers Google Play, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon, and ROKU, and on DISH Hopper/Wally receivers or select DIRECTV receivers.

We continue to work hard to launch more markets, so stay tuned. Please help us spread the word and share this message with five friends and family members who live in one of our 34 Locast markets. We are a nonprofit and rely on user donations of just $5 per month to support the ongoing operations and expansion of our nonprofit service.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Locast Nation,
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It’s our 35th market.
Starting today, Locast users in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, including Morgantown, West Virginia, can stream more than 40 local broadcast TV channels.
Locast is an invaluable free tool for residents to stay informed about major storms, health updates, local news, weather, and sports on local broadcast TV. Pittsburgh residents can watch their local TV channels using Locast on their phones, tablets, laptops or streaming media devices.
Pittsburgh is also home to university students who can qualify for our Locast Cares Program – a way for users who cannot donate financially to watch their local TV channels without receiving donation-request interruptions. The program is open to the first 25,000 applicants and is available for one year. Students, first responders and low income households, among others, can qualify. Apply at www.locast.org/cares.
Find out more about Locast in Pittsburgh at www.locast.orgor on our news page.
As a reminder, there are many ways to watch Locast – at www.locast.org, app stores, TiVo, streaming service providers Google Play, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon, and ROKU, and on DISH Hopper/Wally receivers or select DIRECTV receivers.
We continue to work hard to launch more markets, so stay tuned. Please help us spread the word and share this message with five friends and family members who live in one of our Locast markets. We are a nonprofit and rely on user donations of just $5 per month to support the ongoing operations and expansion of our nonprofit service.
Thank you!

Locast Nation,
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It’s our 36th market.
Starting today, Locast users in Milwaukee and the surrounding area, including cities from Sheboygan to Kenosha, can stream more than 40 local broadcast TV channels.
Locast is an invaluable free tool for residents to stay informed about major storms, health updates, local news, weather, and sports on local broadcast TV. Milwaukee residents can watch their local TV channels using Locast on their phones, tablets, laptops or streaming media devices.
Milwaukee is also home to university students who can qualify for our Locast Cares Program – a way for users who cannot donate financially to watch their local TV channels without receiving donation-request interruptions. The program is open to the first 25,000 applicants and is available for one year. Students, retirees, first responders and low-income households, among others, can qualify. Apply at www.locast.org/cares.
Find out more about Locast in Milwaukee at www.locast.org or on our news page.
We continue to work hard to launch more markets, so stay tuned. Please help us spread the word and share this message with five friends and family members who live in one of our Locast markets. We are a nonprofit and rely on user donations of just $5 per month to support the ongoing operations and expansion of our nonprofit service.
Thank you!

Locast Nation,
We are pleased to announce we’ve launched our streaming local TV service in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It’s our 36th market.
Starting today, Locast users in Milwaukee and the surrounding area, including cities from Sheboygan to Kenosha, can stream more than 40 local broadcast TV channels.
Locast is an invaluable free tool for residents to stay informed about major storms, health updates, local news, weather, and sports on local broadcast TV. Milwaukee residents can watch their local TV channels using Locast on their phones, tablets, laptops or streaming media devices.
Milwaukee is also home to university students who can qualify for our Locast Cares Program – a way for users who cannot donate financially to watch their local TV channels without receiving donation-request interruptions. The program is open to the first 25,000 applicants and is available for one year. Students, retirees, first responders and low-income households, among others, can qualify. Apply at www.locast.org/cares.
Find out more about Locast in Milwaukee at www.locast.org or on our news page.
Thank you!
Scott, is there a good reliable website that we can follow that tells us what's happening about Locast in the courts. They keep adding all these new locations and I'd hate to see the networks win their lawsuit in the courts.

Scott, is there a good reliable website that we can follow that tells us what's happening about Locast in the courts. They keep adding all these new locations and I'd hate to see the networks win their lawsuit in the courts.
This the latest Locast lawsuit related news I'm aware of:

Reactions: Howard Simmons
This the latest Locast lawsuit related news I'm aware of:

Thanks but that's dated back in April. I need a website that keeps up with these things.

Thanks but that's dated back in April. I need a website that keeps up with these things.
None that I'm aware of, although the Fierce Video site does seem to be keeping track of any related court filings as they occur. It's a slow process made even slower by COVID. In the meantime, I think the more DMA's Locast adds will likely make it harder for the courts to shut them down. As if the network's flawed argument that "Locast’s transmissions can’t be considered local since they are the internet and argue that the fact that the service uses geo-fencing to limit its reach 'only underscores that its service is not inherently localized.'" isn't enough to get the case thrown out. Or claiming Sports Fans Coalition NY isn't a non-profit when the IRS clearly says they are a 501(c)(3)...

(click on "Final Letters" and download the .tif)

Reactions: Howard Simmons
None that I'm aware of, although the Fierce Video site does seem to be keeping track of any related court filings as they occur. It's a slow process made even slower by COVID. In the meantime, I think the more DMA's Locast adds will likely make it harder for the courts to shut them down. As if the network's flawed argument that "Locast’s transmissions can’t be considered local since they are the internet and argue that the fact that the service uses geo-fencing to limit its reach 'only underscores that its service is not inherently localized.'" isn't enough to get the case thrown out. Or claiming Sports Fans Coalition NY isn't a non-profit when the IRS clearly says they are a 501(c)(3)...

Thank You for the info. Even though I don't have Locast in the Mobile/Pensacola area yet I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually if they make it thru the courts. I'm one of those people that have Dish and can't have a OTA in my apartment complex and in an are that can't receive all area networks. And if Dish gets in a transmission squabble with a station I would have Locast at least.

Reactions: NYDutch

Locast has a lot of legally in their favor. They knew from
the get-go what the the big 4 networks would do.

Reactions: Tvland1 and NYDutch