Locast News (Additions, changes, etc)

Reading the fine print at Puffer, it says you're participating in a research study (which is OK), but it also says they can kick you out if you don't spend a minimum amount of time streaming each week. I'm not too keen on that.

Reading the fine print at Puffer, it says you're participating in a research study (which is OK), but it also says they can kick you out if you don't spend a minimum amount of time streaming each week. I'm not too keen on that.
Their research, their conditions. You can always ask for your money back... ;)

Locast Is Permanently Locked Out Of The Streaming Biz

Law360 (September 15, 2021, 6:39 PM EDT) -- A New York federal judge on Wednesday permanently barred streaming service Locast from transmitting broadcast content over the internet, dealing a death blow to the three-year-old app and handing a win to the TV networks that sought its demise.

According to a permanent injunction order signed by U.S. District Judge Louis L. Stanton, former Dish Network executive David Goodfriend and his nonprofit entity Sports Fan Coalition New York are "permanently restrained and enjoined from operating Locast."

The move came two weeks after Judge Stanton ruled that Locast was not shielded by the Copyright Act's Section 111(a), which allows nonprofit groups to retransmit over-the-air TV signals to users who cannot receive them.

(Free subscription needed to read entire article)
Read more at: Locast Is Permanently Locked Out Of The Streaming Biz - Law360

Law360 (September 15, 2021, 6:39 PM EDT) -- A New York federal judge on Wednesday permanently barred streaming service Locast from transmitting broadcast content over the internet, dealing a death blow to the three-year-old app and handing a win to the TV networks that sought its demise.

According to a permanent injunction order signed by U.S. District Judge Louis L. Stanton, former Dish Network executive David Goodfriend and his nonprofit entity Sports Fan Coalition New York are "permanently restrained and enjoined from operating Locast."

The move came two weeks after Judge Stanton ruled that Locast was not shielded by the Copyright Act's Section 111(a), which allows nonprofit groups to retransmit over-the-air TV signals to users who cannot receive them.

I guess that answers all of our questions. I figured Locast could come back paying the re-transmission fees to back them legit, but I guess that is out too. With Locast losing out, there will probably never be a legal service streaming that will give you all of the stations in your DMA. No service cable or satellite carries all of the TV services in your DMA, especially in outlaying areas. Like out here on the Oregon Coast we have several translators, but they do not carry everything in Portland.
I depend on some streaming and Dish to get most of it, but even then there are gaps. No Rewind, Metv+, or Decades and none stream.This is really a shame.

I guess that answers all of our questions. I figured Locast could come back paying the re-transmission fees to back them legit, but I guess that is out too. With Locast losing out, there will probably never be a legal service streaming that will give you all of the stations in your DMA. No service cable or satellite carries all of the TV services in your DMA, especially in outlaying areas. Like out here on the Oregon Coast we have several translators, but they do not carry everything in Portland.
I depend on some streaming and Dish to get most of it, but even then there are gaps. No Rewind, Metv+, or Decades and none stream.This is really a shame.
There could be if the Government told local cable channels to put the locals out into the wild on the Internet, and could recover X cents per channel to keep it close to no cost.

Awesome Fun GIF by Tactical Baby Gear
:mad:

This injunction is from the same judge that made the initial ruling. The EFF has said Locast/SFCNY is still investigating appeals options.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The judge is kind of overstepping his bounds on what a non profit is. Only the IRS decides that and if the IRS says they are a non profit then they are a non profit.

I am told Locast will be appealing the decision and perhaps when they come back they have more areas available.

It will be interesting if that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The judge is kind of overstepping his bounds on what a non profit is. Only the IRS decides that and if the IRS says they are a non profit then they are a non profit.

I am told Locast will be appealing the decision and perhaps when they come back they have more areas available.

I am sure hoping something can be done. Locast was serving an area where people do not have access to locals. In my case, some of it was a backup as I get some of the PDX stations via translators, but not all. We do get the main ones, but no ION. If a translator goes out, we can be without that channel for sometime.

In this day? That's been happening for at least a hundred years. Especially in mafia days..
I realize that, but there is more under the table stuff in this day and I don't see that changing. The Big 4 have a lot of clout and they have deep pockets. The Big 4 make millions on re-transmission fees and they are not going to lose it.
As much as I detest pirating, I can see why so much of it keeps going. The laws are so restrictive when it comes to copyrights. I am not saying, that copyrighted material should not be protected, but some times the rules go too far. I was hoping that the Big 4 could make a deal with Locast.

Reactions: primestar31

Prayer GIF
:)

Reactions: NYDutch
It's over. Locast has agreed to a permanent shutdown and settlement with the robber barons. Just as I said from the beginning, the so-called $5 "donation" is the key thing that destroyed them.

"Broadcasters And Locast Agree To Settle Streaming Battle
Broadcasters have agreed to settle their dispute with Locast, a now shuttered streaming television service, according to court papers filed Thursday with U.S. District Court Judge Louis Stanton in New York.
The companies say they “believe they have negotiated a resolution of all issues in the case,” but don't provide any details.

Stanton recently ruled that the three-year-old Locast infringed the broadcasters' copyright by transmitting programs without licenses. Last month, he ordered the service to permanently shut down.
Locast had planned to appeal that ruling, but suggested in Thursday's court filing that it no longer intends to do so, in light of the anticipated settlement.

Locast, created by the nonprofit Sports Fans Coalition NY, captured over-the-air broadcast signals and streamed them to people within specific geographic areas. The company launched with broadcast feeds from 13 stations in the New York City area, and later expanded to include feeds from more than 30 markets.

Locast argued it was protected by a provision in the Copyright Act that allows nonprofits to boost antenna signals. That provision only applies to nonprofits that don't charge for service -- though it allows nonprofits to charge fees necessary to cover costs.

Locast said its service was free, and therefore fell within that exception. But the broadcasters countered that the company solicits $5 monthly donations, and interrupts non-contributing users' streams every 15 minutes.

Stanton sided with the broadcasters, ruling that Locast wasn't actually free, due to those interruptions.

“The obvious economic fact is that these 'donations' are really a scale of fees for uninterrupted service, and it works,” he said in a written opinion."

It's over. Locast has agreed to a permanent shutdown and settlement with the robber barons. Just as I said from the beginning, the so-called $5 "donation" is the key thing that destroyed them.

"Broadcasters And Locast Agree To Settle Streaming Battle
Broadcasters have agreed to settle their dispute with Locast, a now shuttered streaming television service, according to court papers filed Thursday with U.S. District Court Judge Louis Stanton in New York.
The companies say they “believe they have negotiated a resolution of all issues in the case,” but don't provide any details.

Stanton recently ruled that the three-year-old Locast infringed the broadcasters' copyright by transmitting programs without licenses. Last month, he ordered the service to permanently shut down.
Locast had planned to appeal that ruling, but suggested in Thursday's court filing that it no longer intends to do so, in light of the anticipated settlement.

Locast, created by the nonprofit Sports Fans Coalition NY, captured over-the-air broadcast signals and streamed them to people within specific geographic areas. The company launched with broadcast feeds from 13 stations in the New York City area, and later expanded to include feeds from more than 30 markets.

Locast argued it was protected by a provision in the Copyright Act that allows nonprofits to boost antenna signals. That provision only applies to nonprofits that don't charge for service -- though it allows nonprofits to charge fees necessary to cover costs.

Locast said its service was free, and therefore fell within that exception. But the broadcasters countered that the company solicits $5 monthly donations, and interrupts non-contributing users' streams every 15 minutes.

Stanton sided with the broadcasters, ruling that Locast wasn't actually free, due to those interruptions.

“The obvious economic fact is that these 'donations' are really a scale of fees for uninterrupted service, and it works,” he said in a written opinion."
I am a bit surprised Locast gave up so easily. I figured they may have fixed the issues the judge did not like, and would try again. There is probably a lot more we do not know and probably will never know. Unfortunately the big 4 have such a strangle-hold on their product, the chances of any US based company trying this again the future probably will never happen. For the viewers than cannot get free OTA, they will have to continue to pay $$$$ and the local packages will continue to increase. But there will be that breaking point where cable/satellite will no longer carry all locals. Will the viewer be willing to pay, lets say $50 a month for them? Streaming services like Hulu or Netflix will continue to offer different popular TV shows, like my son is watching. Sad news, but am I really surprised?

Reactions: TheKrell
I am a bit surprised Locast gave up so easily.
I think the Robber Barons have the judge in their pocket and they told Locast to either pack it in, or they'd sue them and take everything they have or ever will have.

It's also very possible that they'll come back in some other way, under new ownership and configuration. In such a way that won't make them legally liable for whatever Locast may "owe" the Robber Barons for their content use over the last 3~ years. They've got all the infrastructure already out there. All they need to do is "sell it" to an unrelated non-profit, that doesn't extort the $5 a month or get constant interruptions.