Locast update

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
I just read that the broadcast attorneys and beginning to get their case written up to fight Locast. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Their argue that Locast is not Non Profit.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Based on the law, it sounds like the exemption they are trying to fall under was most likely intended for local rebroadcast in areas not within reach or are blocked geographically from the services by the original tower. The more cities they serve, the less they are remotely falling under these guidelines. Having a Board of Directors probably doesn't help as well.

I think Locast should be legal, but I have a doubt thinking they'll be found as such. This would be a great time for the FCC to address the locals redistribution issues faced by Cable/Sat for the last decade plus since DVRs became typical.

Well this isn't good

He is a old dish network executive

Press contact:
Marc Lumpkin
Altitude Public Relations for Locast

303-378-2366

Well this isn't good

He is a old dish network executive

Press contact:
Marc Lumpkin
Altitude Public Relations for Locast

303-378-2366
Unlike AT&T, neither Dish nor Charlie have donated any money to Locast, and Lumpkin hasn't worked for Dish since 2012. Why do you see this as a problem?

Reactions: dishdude
I was a aero subscriber...just because it should be legal does not mean that it will be ruled legal
Aero didn't stand a chance from day one. They were a for profit copyrighted programming retransmitter that the US Supreme Court ruled was no different than a cable company and subject to the same copyright rules despite the differences in technology. Locast on the other hand, is claiming copyright rules exemption under the non-profit provisions of 17 USC 111(a)(5), and it's their non-profit status that the broadcasters are disputing. By the way, SFCNY/Locast founder, lawyer David Goodfriend, is also a former DISH executive.

Reactions: TheKrell
It all comes down to how good your lawyers are and eventually what the supreme court thinks....they could always settle but a protracted fight favors the broadcasters...they have better lawyers and deeper pockets

It all comes down to how good your lawyers are and eventually what the supreme court thinks....they could always settle but a protracted fight favors the broadcasters...they have better lawyers and deeper pockets
I wouldn't say they necessarily have "better lawyers". There are some pretty powerful law firms working with SFCNY on fighting this suit and pressing the counter suit. It'll be interesting to see how it works out in the end...

I wouldn't say they necessarily have "better lawyers". There are some pretty powerful law firms working with SFCNY on fighting this suit and pressing the counter suit. It'll be interesting to see how it works out in the end...
Its not WKRP in Cincinnati suing..its disney,comcast, fox and cbs