Locast update

Well then you keep on donating to them if you are and maybe they'll get down here on the Emerald Coast.
I have no idea of how they decide which markets to bring online in which order. Obviously they hit the largest markets early on, as well as some that are rumored to have received large dedicated donations like Puerto Rico, etc. Given that Florida is currently the state with the most markets covered (4), I think it may be awhile before any of the six remaining markets are added. There's 177 markets nationwide remaining for them to choose from for the next installation, and Locast has surprised me before with their choice...

I have no idea of how they decide which markets to bring online in which order. Obviously they hit the largest markets early on, as well as some that are rumored to have received large dedicated donations like Puerto Rico, etc. Given that Florida is currently the state with the most markets covered (4), I think it may be awhile before any of the six remaining markets are added. There's 177 markets nationwide remaining for them to choose from for the next installation, and Locast has surprised me before with their choice...
Yeah, Raleigh-Durham is 27th largest, but they did it 33rd, so clearly there is more going on here than just the size of the market.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yeah, Raleigh-Durham is 27th largest, but they did it 33rd, so clearly there is more going on here than just the size of the market.
We know from public information that Sioux Falls and Rapid City, SD were added using dedicated private and corporate donations, and rumor has it that Puerto Rico was added due in part to a dedicated donation from a wealthy benefactor. And Madison, WI was added because it's founder David Goodfriend's home town, so that could account for why some smaller markets are chosen ahead of larger markets. I expect Locast would love to serve all 210 DMA's eventually, but if I lived in the 210th ranked Glendive, MT market, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting... ;)

Well if they can have Locast in Puerto Rico I think they can do it down here.

Why the double standards when you can get any out of town radio stations regardless of radio DMA on the internet or via nighttime AM radio skips? :rolleyes:

With all the TV DMA restrictions which reeks of out of town copyright censorship, why force feeding the TV viewers to just watch local only?

They should get rid of DMA system, which is hurting TV viewers rights, it's like chopping up USA into bunch of little countrys!:rolleyes::hatsoff

Why the double standards when you can get any out of town radio stations regardless of radio DMA on the internet or via nighttime AM radio skips? :rolleyes:

With all the TV DMA restrictions which reeks of out of town copyright censorship, why force feeding the TV viewers to just watch local only?

They should get rid of DMA system, which is hurting TV viewers rights, it's like chopping up USA into bunch of little countrys!:rolleyes::hatsoff
While I may agree with your sentiment, I take issue with hurting TV viewers rights. Where do the rights come from? There is nothing written in law that says that you have a right to view television, even local television. Now if we had national television like say England with its BBC then you might have a leg to stand on. Of course BBC is not free in England, it costs £157.50 a year to have television there, £53 for black and white sets. Over the air television in the United States is free as we all know. As long as it is free nothing will change because somebody has to pay these stations to operate and commercials is one of the ways they get that payment. If we got rid of the local channels and went to nationals with national commercials it might work but it is going to cost you some money in the end, IMHO. Joe Buck's Dodge Dealership in Backroad, TX might have some difficulty getting his message across to you on national television though because he is going to have to pay a national rate instead of a local rate. And, do you really want to see Joe hawk Dodge Ram Trucks from his inventory from Pensacola, FL?

A better solution, perhaps, would be to let viewers pay for additional DMA's they want to see. Then their local DMA gets their revenue, and the "additional" DMA also gets their revenue.

For example, I live in Kansas City and I pay my provider the "broadcast fee" for those stations in my area. Then, let's say I also want to have Las Vegas and Los Angeles. I could pay an additional $10 each for those.

Reactions: TheKrell and N5XZS
A better solution, perhaps, would be to let viewers pay for additional DMA's they want to see. Then their local DMA gets their revenue, and the "additional" DMA also gets their revenue.

For example, I live in Kansas City and I pay my provider the "broadcast fee" for those stations in my area. Then, let's say I also want to have Las Vegas and Los Angeles. I could pay an additional $10 each for those.
We had that for a while many years ago, at least for several large markets. It went away because it was abused. Now, if they changed to rules that say that you must subscribe to you local channels in order to add another DMA to your subscription it could be received better by the powers that be. Something that comes into play here are the spotbeams. Let's say I am in San Francisco and get my local SF channels and I want to add Lima, OH to my channels. The Lima spotbeam doesn't reach me in SF so either DISH has to offer every DMA on CONUS beams or I just can't get Lima at all. It's a big issue...

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts